What Primaris units do you use?

War Angel

If I put everything I own on the table (and I only count the models I’ve finished as owned, the Plastic gods of the unpainted swarm owns the rest) I’m just shy of 3k. Cool. But I only have about 1300 Primaris, and that’s more the direction I want to move in, as I like painting and building these models more. I like to think I’m pretty creative, but I always have issues with deciding what to start. You can probably find a few posts on these forums of me trying to get information on what’s to do. I wanna get these guys up to 2,000points and then I can just expand them from there, so with our chapter tactics, and what we speculate our combat Doctrine to be, what Primaris units do you guys like to use?

Side bar, I have a gravis captain, 15 intercessors with rifles, two LT’s, a Libraian, aprothicary and ancient, 5 hell blasters, 3 inceptors, and a repulsor.

I like to think of my guys as specializing in clearing out the streets and pushing into the hostile territory, for what it’s worth.

Bonus sidebar, what options do we really have for Primaris Chapter masters, I really wanna custom up a model.

Outside of Kill Team, I've only done Hellblasters and a Captain so far. My next Primaris unit will likely be Inceptors, with a Repulsor Executioner further down the road. Other Primaris choices will likely happen once I've finished with the current project to build a full Company (25% done!).

I'm definitely planning a full unit of Intercessors with auto bolt rifles and a thunder hammer just so I can model some Primaris who are rocking Terminator Honours though.

I like aggressors - I collect Black Templars, and they nicely fit the theme of getting close up and personal. Similarly, they make sense with IF and would make a nice captain/lieutenant/aggressor/repulsor Death Star.

I like aggressors - I collect Black Templars, and they nicely fit the theme of getting close up and personal. Similarly, they make sense with IF and would make a nice captain/lieutenant/aggressor/repulsor Death Star.

I second this. They pump out a ton of shots (potentially even more with your chapter trait), but can also be brutal is close combat. Not to mention they're not all that expensive compared to other Primaris units.

I also have really grown to like the Captain in Phobos armor. He's cheaper than the Gravis captain by a few points but seems to have so many tricks up his sleeve. He can snipe characters while staying mobile with his bolt carbine, and Raven Guard can give him a nice combat knife called Oppressor's End to make him an even deadlier character killer.  

Edited by ImperialTuba

What i have: 20 intercessors,3 aggressors,3 inceptors,1 redemptor,6 reivers,5 hellblasters,2 captains,1 converted ancient and 3 lieutenants (and soon 2 librarians)

What i plan to actually use:

-intercessors.On one hand it pains me (i have around 80+ tacticals).On the other,finally PA infantry that no longer completly sucks so i'll take what i can.Likely need to find 10 more of them and start gluing those stalkers

-probably eliminators if i manage to get some

And that's pretty much it.Love inceptors and aggressors but i'm not finding space for them in the latest list ideas i'm having.Not feeling hellblasters,hate the redemptor (i know,i just said i have one but it was in the supremacy force,no choice) and reivers aren't even worth considering

Edited by Fenriwolf

I haven't actually played under the new codex yet, I swore months ago not to play a game with unpainted models again. But I have made the Primaris change, since I like the models so much.

I found Intercessors to be a solid workhorse unit. Veterans pack a real punch in assault, and in the last codex I found Rapid Fire and the old Bolter Drill stratagem made an effective combination; the new Chapter tactic makes Rapid Fire a lot better than the old Bolter Drill. Intercessors in general are a pretty big block of wounds, and I found they had a habit of absorbing a surprising amount of fire. Especially in cover. Without stratagems, their shooting output is consistent, but nothing to write home about. I've been satisfied with their performance, I can run them like I did tactical marines and they do the same things better.

Hellblasters can put out some pretty solid firepower, but they can be tricky to use. A way to re-roll 1's to hit is almost essential for them, whether it's a Captain, a Chapter Master, or a dreadnought with the Wisdom of the Ancients stratagem active. They really benefit from a transport or some other way to make it harder to alpha strike them, however. Repulsors were okay there, but I think the Impulsor will be a better way to fill that role. Heavy plasma incinerators may also be worth considering with the supplement.

I like Repulsors, but I haven't run them in the new book and at their new points cost. Honestly, I think they're now a bit more expensive than they should be, but I want to give them a proper go before I give them some shelf time. They do interact well with our rumored doctrine though, I built both of mine with lascannons and las-talons, and a minimum of 2 damage per wound against their best targets will be nice. The dakka loadout is probably better in a vacuum, but I'm of the belief that it just does more of what the rest of a Primaris army is good at.

My next planned purchases are a couple of Impulsors (for shiny improved Hellblaster party busses) and then eventually (when I have more money available) a pair of Executioners. I think the big plasma cannon is going to be marginally better for Fists than the big laser cannon (average damage against vehicles was slightly higher when I tried doing math), but I'll definitely be magnetizing that. Not only do they both fit into my saturate-the-enemy-with-flashy-targets-so-the-troops-can-do-their-jobs strategy, the Executioners seem more flexible than my Repulsors, which I like. And Impulsors, as mentioned, seem like better party busses. Both Eliminator loadouts seem really good too, the las fusils in particular will make some solid anti-tank rifles.

While I've traditionally been a bit disappointed in its output, I'm looking forward to seeing how my Redemptor does in the new codex. It's a bit more survivable thanks to stratagems, and I've already gotten some mileage from turning it into a temporary re-roll bubble. I'm still concerned that it won't fill much of a role beyond presenting another armored unit on the field, though.

I'm running full Primaris at the moment. The end goal is to have 2500 points of Primaris Fists and 2500 of 30k Legion Fists.

I've been running 3 boltstorm aggressors and love them, will absolutely be getting to 6 or maybe even 9. Intercessors are great, I've got 10 bolt rifles, 5 stalkers, and want to add 10 auto bolt rifles.

I run a repulsor and an executioner, I find one isn't enough and gets targeted down immediately. I also run a Leviathan for it's sexy factor.

I've got 12 inceptors, 6 plasma, 6 bolt that I want to get on the table eventually.

I can't run Hellblasters, the name is too silly.

Forgot to mention invictors and suppressors.

I really like the invictor.But i'm not sure they can really work without at least a huge unit of vanguards (and maybea vanguard captain) supporting 2+ of them.It can but feels like it really needs a kind of specific list.

Suppressors....They are cheap and with the special fist bonus in dev doctrine they have a really good weapon.The latest list i put on paper included 2 units of them.Problem is,they are really frail

Edited by Fenriwolf