I'm a 3D artist and want to make BT Bits. What do you need?

Hi I hope this doesn't violate any rules here. I'm an experienced 3D artist and lately I've been looking for ways to make passive income. Now, don't worry, I'm not trying to sell you guys anything! I want to get in to making my own miniatures for my own IP. But to teach myself how to apply my skills to miniature production, I want to make some Black Templars bits for my (and your) crusade. I kind of want to make some shoulder pads with maltese crosses that aren't all crazy and chunky like the ones you find on Shapeways. What else do you think our little community needs?

I don't want to spend too much time doing something crazy like making tabbards that perfectly fit over primaris torsos or anything like. Nothing that requires me to make a complex negative of something that already exists. Just stand alone bits that can glue right non like heads, shoulderpads, hands with weapons, etc.

If this is against the rules here, just delete this thread and point me to the nearest chaplain for chastisement.

I would love a BT Primaris Chaplain set: a helmet, a proper crozius arcanum, and some shoulder pads. 

Would love to have a templar ruins themed base that isn't made of resin. 

BT Thunder hammers and power fists for intercessor sergeants. 

Thank you brother!

Edited by SydonianDragoon404

Most needed bits I would want are tabards for primaris, and a primaris Emperor's champion. 

Also Knightly helmets, shields, Knight swords, lanterns, braziers for backpack, scrolls for vehicles, Primaris chainswords and powerfists ( but in a Knight style  way). 

I like your chaplain helmet. 

Edited by The Spanish Inquisitor

Making bits that fit up against existing bits on multiple angles would be very tough. Example would be a tabbarded version of the front torso for intercessors. There are just so many angles to match and each model is in a different pose. I suspect that's why GW is starting to do monopose models. It makes it very hard to make 3rd party bits. Anything that glues on with one contact point like an arm, a head, a shoulder pad, or a backpack is much easier. Since legs and torsos come as one piece in the new kits, making tabbards would be tough.

This brings up a question I've been wanting to ask you guys. If I was going to make tabbard torsos for intercessors, I'd have to make them as one piece, front and back. Which means you guys would have to cut off any original torsos from the original legs. Then the lower part of the tabbard below the belt would be its own piece like the Spellcrow bits.

Would you guys be interested in something like that? I'm personally a very heavy kitbasher. I have no problem slicing up official GW plastic. But would you say the community in general just wants something extra to glue on from 3rd party bits makers? Or are you willing to cut up GW parts in order to get intercessors with tabbards?

Thanks for all the feedback so far guys!

Edited by +Chaplain Matthias+

Wow this is awesome!

What would be cool is a General assortment of weapons and shields. Maybe some more helmets. Shoulder pads. I like my crusade to look mixed together.

Tabarded torsos for terminators and old marine initiates.

I'd also be absolutely okay with cutting up some gw plastic for my projects, but I do not think, that you will find a larger audoence for that.

Some more dreadnought and tnak bits would also be welcome. For example there is a Dread cc arm on shapeways for templars which is awesome.

I play Knights of Baal instead of Black Templars, however what I'm looking for is something Black Templars would probably appreciate as well.

Tilting shields would be great as those are very often sold out on bitz seller websites. Blank ones for obvious reasons but also ones with modeled designs like a sword, a skull, a BT cross etc.

Picture for reference:

grey-knight-terminator-tilt-shields-x5-c

Can’t wait to see what you come up with Matthias! Lots of great ideas here.

Personally I’d love see:

• Right-handed Templar power swords
  • Right-handed Templar thunder hammers for terminators
  • Fiery braziers/torches for backpacks 
  • Single skulls on spikes for backpacks
  • Templar purity seals and clusters of seals
  • Little Templar cross icons, some with a link to hang from weapons and some suitable for gluing to breastplates, etc., for added decoration
  • Improved Templar shoulder pads with a variety of styles, you’re right that the ones out there are too chunky. I would buy the hell out of the pads of the two main characters (the ones with the ornate white shoulder pads) in the Third Ed 40k box cover https://66.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lluofiQko01qhslato1_1280.jpg

I like the idea of Primaris Templar torsos (very happy kitbashing) but would love to see not only tabarded ones but a variety of other Templar styles such as the Aquila with a Templar cross; one with more rivets; one with a vox speaker and tubing; etc. Variety is key to a convincing Templar squad for me!

That cover art I linked to above is the epitome of Templar for me so really anything inspired by that would get my attention!

This brings up a question I've been wanting to ask you guys. If I was going to make tabbard torsos for intercessors, I'd have to make them as one piece, front and back. Which means you guys would have to cut off any original torsos from the original legs. Then the lower part of the tabbard below the belt would be its own piece like the Spellcrow bits.

Would you guys be interested in something like that? I'm personally a very heavy kitbasher. I have no problem slicing up official GW plastic. But would you say the community in general just wants something extra to glue on from 3rd party bits makers? Or are you willing to cut up GW parts in order to get intercessors with tabbards?

Thanks for all the feedback so far guys!

Yes! Especially if the detail is very good.

Once I move on from my guardsmen army to primaris I might get into the 3d printing scene myself, especially if there are no new DA or BT bits coming soon.

Edited by DranuTemplar

I have meddled in some more basic stuff.

If anyone is interested: https://www.etsy.com/shop/EmperorsFistsBits

This stuff looks great! (You may want to watch some of the GW names though??)

Have you got any IRL pics of the Phobos pads?

Making bits that fit up against existing bits on multiple angles would be very tough. Example would be a tabbarded version of the front torso for intercessors.

Another possible way to handle this is to just make entire bodies with tabards, like these Kromlech bodies. I don't know if designing the entire body is easier or harder than designing just a torso but fitting it to existing legs.

I have meddled in some more basic stuff.

If anyone is interested: https://www.etsy.com/shop/EmperorsFistsBits

I really like your thunder hammers!