+++BCK's Necromunda Conversion Challenge 11/2019+++

9eIfDYH.png

Welcome, battle brothers and sisters, to the first installment of the monthly Necromunda conversion challenge! I've become quite fond of the smaller gangs and the nearly endless possibilities for converting figures for both play and display and the monthly contest will hopefully get more people motivated to do their own conversions, or finish something they might have already started. 

I'm putting this up a few days early so people can go ahead and make their vows and focus on gathering bits and whatever else they need. Let's get those vows in and start planning!

The rules:

1) The finished model should be unpainted so we can clearly see your converting or kitbashing though the odd painted piece stolen repurposed from another figure is fine.

2) Models that might have already been started are acceptable, but if it's something that's almost finished, you may enter it as an out-of-competition model that won't be eligible for judgement.

3) You must declare if the model is Ruled or Unruled, meaning if it's based on something from one of the rule books and will have a points value then it will be Ruled and if it's just a neat thing you wanted to do with some Necromunda flavor then it will be Unruled. 

4) Ruled models must be WYSIWYG and all relevant gear must be modeled. As such, a listing of gear will need to accompany your figure at some point. Unruled models are exempt from WYSIWYG

5) You must declare participation at least 24 hours before completion of your conversion. 

6) You can enter multiple times, but you must finish one entry before pledging the next. Only one entry will be considered for judgement and you will nominate which to put forth. 

7) Build time is from November 1, 2019 until November 30, 2019. 

Pledging your entry:

Please use the following format for your pledge:

I, (your name), pledge to convert (character type or name, Ruled or Unruled) for (House or other faction) in the Conversion Challenge on or before November 30, 2019. 

Progress:

A photo of your model's condition before beginning (parts, base figure, figures you're going to chop up, etc) is required with your pledge (or as soon as you can). The figure you wish to enter for judgement will require pics of the front, back, and both sides. Progress pics along the way are optional but appreciated.

As is tradition with so many events, here's a participation banner. 

Mtk2h4Y.png

Let's get this going!

I, BCK, pledge to convert a Juve (Ruled) for House Escher in the Conversion Challenge on or before November 30, 2019. 

I wanted my two juves in my list to look different from the other figures like the original 'Munda models, and the idea I have for my Eschers is that some of the members started using the HGH drugs they sell to House Goliath, but the juves have to prove themselves first before they get access to that. I'm going to try to model them to look younger and much thinner, like they're gutter rats that just got picked to join. Here's the current state of the first one. 

yNLvjCH.png

To get an idea of the difference, here's the leader:

jLXNEvC.png

And one of the champs:

uYokXDV.png

I, Ficinus, pledge to convert a caravan guard servitor,  Unruled for the Iron Guild in the Conversion Challenge on or before November 30, 2019.

I'm not sure if the heavy flamer will be too large for the model, but oversized weapons is a classic 40k trope.  In the end, I might end up switching it up.

Ypz9weD.jpg

Yeah, I'm having trouble finding something that isn't too small (regular guard/marine flamers and dreadnought heavy flamers) or too big (the sentinel one up there). I might try a cataphractii heavy flamer, but that might be a little small.

Regular guard flamers (especially the cadian variety) are pretty large - perhaps if one is too small, gluing 2 together might work?  Because, at least in my mind, having a gun that is bigger than you are takes the already absurdly big 40K guns beyond the point of ridiculousness.

Edited by Dr_Ruminahui

Well, we're going beyond the point of ridiculousness here.  I've trimmed off the back portion of the flamer and shortened the tubes leading to the exit of the barrel, so it's not quite as oversized.  But I need to buy more greenstuff before attaching that.  So far, I've only attached the massive chainsword arm.  Once I get more building materials, I'll attached the heavy flamer, modify the head, and add some wires and tubing to up the mechanical factor.

l9T6TeG.png

I, Dallo, pledge to convert a Goliath Leader of the Iron Maw (Ruled) for House Goliath in the Conversion Challenge on or before November 30, 2019. 

0ZbnweIl.jpg

Dallo

Edit:

And here's how King is looking so far.

Q69WLqcl.jpg

Still a way to go, but I'm liking how he's looking so far. 

This is based on a conversion guide written by a certain Brother Chaplain. :ph34r.:

I'm thinking he'd benefit from something to make it look a little less front heavy. A stock would be ideal, but it doesn't really make sense with the layout of the weapon. Maybe some kind of chainblade attachment? From a fluff point of view, he'll be getting suspensors at the earliest opportunity, so it's not beyond the realms of possibility that he could hold it like that.

We'll see.

It still needs a bit of greenstuff surgery at the shoulders, which isn't my strong suit, but shoulder pads should cover a multitude of sins.

Dallo

Edited by Brother Dallo

Here is my completed entry for this month.

(Don't worry, the mold lines will be cleaned and the barrel drilled before I start painting :tongue.: )

In the end, I decided the Land Speeder Heavy Bolter was just too big so I swapped it out for a Scout Heavy Bolter.

I then added a chain bayonet because Goliaths.

2YSz9gA.jpg

tkmOiozl.jpg

Here you can see my latest attempt at Greenstuff Sculpting. It's not going to be winning any awards, but I think it's certainly passable.

zbbrPwKl.jpg

aagXHJjl.jpg

Dallo

I, HvitrValdyr, pledge to convert a champion (Ruled) for House Orlock in the Conversion Challenge on or before November 30, 2019.

49047799152_f347a5b0df_o.jpg

I started him a few days ago and forgot to take initial pics. Main body is Slate Merdena, carved down Reiver head which I just added a bandana to and perched in the neck hole (for now), marauder horsemen arms, Orlock hands (flipped the knife on one of them) and a heavy bolter from the MKIV marine sprue. I also removed the sculpted respirator and replaced it with a lumen bit from a GSC neophyte shoulder.

Edited by HvitrValdyr

(Don't worry, the mold lines will be cleaned and the barrel drilled before I start painting :P )

In the end, I decided the Land Speeder Heavy Bolter was just too big so I swapped it out for a Scout Heavy Bolter.

Dallo

Love the chain bayonet especially.

(Don't worry, the mold lines will be cleaned and the barrel drilled before I start painting :tongue.: )

2YSz9gA.jpg

Nice! I hope my conversion post for that was helpful. :D

Excellent conversions so far, I'll have to jump in next months cause I'll be going out of town around Thanksgiving gives me time to get my ideas in a better place.

Edit: don't count me in on this month's contest not that I would win lol but here is what I threw together rather quickly. It's for my Inquisitors retinue, would be ruled acolyte with a storm bolter. I just wanted to join the party and post something I created.

Acolyte with SB

Minor update I added the Inquisition symbol to the chest and a purity seal but I'm not totally sold on the symbol. Still a WIP

Acolyte with SB WIP

I built another acolyte with a bolter-melta would be ruled I had gotten a bag from ebay of various bits actually came in handy for these guys!

Acolyte with bolter melta

Edited by Kolgrim DeathHowl