Castellan Draco - Excommunicate Traitoris?

Yet Garadon journeys increasingly alone. 
When he glances about Phalanx’s muster halls, the Captain sees too many warriors who do not recall a time before the Cicatrix 
Maledictum tore the Imperium apart, and worries that he is steadily becoming the proud, embittered relic he deemed Lysander to be at their first meeting.

Holy crap, marines apparently have short memories indeed.

Yet Garadon journeys increasingly alone. 
When he glances about Phalanx’s muster halls, the Captain sees too many warriors who do not recall a time before the Cicatrix 
Maledictum tore the Imperium apart, and worries that he is steadily becoming the proud, embittered relic he deemed Lysander to be at their first meeting.

Holy crap, marines apparently have short memories indeed.

I mean, it's been ~200 years since then. That's certainly enough time for enough veterans to have died for him to start to feel that way. If you were a marine with some experience before that happened, you are probably at least 250 years old. That's pretty significant for nameless marines. 

The easy answer would be that Draco leads the fight against chaos in PA2, gets into combat with Word Bearers, who tell him about Lorgar's part in writing the imperial faith. He later asks the wrong question and is excommunicated for it by some trigger happy inquisitor. What else could be "too horrible to recount" be in a world where becoming pawns to equivalent to the forces of hell is fairly commonplace? Questioning the origins of the state religion is one of the few things that fit the bill.

The easy answer would be that Draco leads the fight against chaos in PA2, gets into combat with Word Bearers, who tell him about Lorgar's part in writing the imperial faith. He later asks the wrong question and is excommunicated for it by some trigger happy inquisitor. What else could be "too horrible to recount" be in a world where becoming pawns to equivalent to the forces of hell is fairly commonplace? Questioning the origins of the state religion is one of the few things that fit the bill.

maybe GW realise that the BT Fans want their old fluff back and so they return with the teachings from Draco - and our chapter divedes into a "believer" and another one

(just mindgame)

I'm betting that new bit of lore is just a footnote and we won't get any explanation. Some time in the future (years, perhaps), we may see the hook fleshed out. Right now, though, it's just a way of writing off a character that used to have some lore and a mini, but which won't be supported in the future.

Perhaps this is playing devils advocate but what if Draco ends up becoming the BT equivalent of Cypher? Everyone gets convinced he's a traitor, but he knows something.

40k isn't above the use of the proverbial McGuffin device.

Perhaps this is playing devils advocate but what if Draco ends up becoming the BT equivalent of Cypher? Everyone gets convinced he's a traitor, but he knows something.

40k isn't above the use of the proverbial McGuffin device.

When the Dark Angels will be in PA - the Fallen will get a new BT model^^

(please NO)

Hm, suppose he did something about the Ophidium Gulf incident and the DA went crying to the Inquisition?

This happened already, the Inquisition is already investigating the incident though nothing has come out besides that.

The Inquisition is getting their WD codex and we'll get a bit of lore in the supplement, maybe we'll see more of this in one of these publications.

I really doubt that an event that well established is only known to "one writer". The Ophidium Gulf Crusade (and the incident) was mentioned in the 4th Edition Codex Black Templars and further explained in White Dwarf 312.

Additionally, it was mentioned in the Codex Dark Angels (7th and 8th Edition) and even further fleshed out.

So I see no reason, why 'they' shouldn't be aware of this part of the lore.

I really doubt that an event that well established is only known to "one writer". The Ophidium Gulf Crusade (and the incident) was mentioned in the 4th Edition Codex Black Templars and further explained in White Dwarf 312.

Additionally, it was mentioned in the Codex Dark Angels (7th and 8th Edition) and even further fleshed out.

I'd imagine he meant this latest Draco bit, not Ophidium Gulf. Still, they weren't aware enough of BT lore before to prevent them from going all monkeys-with-typewriters on it so I wouldn't put it past them to overlook well-established things.

I'd imagine he meant this latest Draco bit, not Ophidium Gulf. Still, they weren't aware enough of BT lore before to prevent them from going all monkeys-with-typewriters on it so I wouldn't put it past them to overlook well-established things.

According to Guy Haley they requested from him to do so :/ So sadly it was no matter of lacking awareness.

According to Guy Haley they requested from him to do so :/ So sadly it was no matter of lacking awareness.

ADB confirmed this. It was a paradigm shift at GW to make the lore changes they did to us. 

At this point, the Ophidium Gulf incident isn't even relevant to Castellan Draco. All we know is that he is said to have done something unspeakable and to have been declared Excommunicatus Traitoris as a result. Everything else is just speculation, wishful thinking, and indignance.

Disappointingly, only a handful of Black Templars fans [that are participating in this discussion] appear to be willing to consider the possibility that Draco may actually have done something wrong to deserve excommunication. Most appear to be hell-bent on finding some rationale that doesn't impugn the reputation of the Black Templars. Personally, I would have preferred if he'd died in battle doing the Emperor's work. A corrupted Black Templar brings interesting story possibilities, though. Ultimately, he's a make believe character in a make believe setting - I wouldn't get too wrapped around the axle about it.

what do you mean exactly?