Vigilus, Plague Wars, Psychic Awakening

b1soul

It's pretty simple. Psychic Awakening takes place during the Indomitus Crusade at various points in the timeline (between Guilliman's departure from Terra & his return to Ultramar to stop Mortarion). We'll know more on this front as the story progresses.

The Plague Wars take place after the Indomitus Crusade (explicitly addressed in Dark Imperium; the 8th ed first edition SM codex also mentions that Guilliman "breaks apart the Indomitus Crusade to return to his homeworld"). And while it's uncertain when exactly the War of Beasts on Vigilus kicks off, most of the initial conflict & the War of Nightmares must take place after the Plague Wars, as Marneus Calgar is not a Primaris marine in either the Indomitus Crusade or the Plague Wars. In the current timeline (e.g. present day), Abaddon is taking the Planet Killer to the other side of the rift.

So Psychic Awakening > Plague Wars > Vigilus, with a little bit of crossover in some places.

It will be interesting to see how the BA/Nid conflict gets be handled. If it's the main invasion shown in Devastation of Baal it will be pre-Primaris and somewhere during the Indomitus Crusade, if it's post-DoB it could still be during the tail end of the IC but also pushing closer to in line with Vigilus.

Given there's a nod to the Eldar fighting alongside the Imperials against the Planet Killer at Sangua Terra in PA1 I'd hazard a guess that this Psychic Awakening promises to be as timey-wimey as the rest of the 40k universe.

I can at least say that the Plague War books happen before Vigilus, having read those selections, but since the third (and final?) book is not released we don't know if/how they intersect exactly.

Edited by NTaW

It will be interesting to see how the BA/Nid conflict gets be handled. If it's the main invasion shown in Devastation of Baal it will be pre-Primaris and somewhere during the Indomitus Crusade, if it's post-DoB it could still be during the tail end of the IC but also pushing closer to in line with Vigilus.

Given there's a nod to the Eldar fighting alongside the Imperials against the Planet Killer at Sangua Terra in PA1 I'd hazard a guess that this Psychic Awakening promises to be as timey-wimey as the rest of the 40k universe.

I can at least say that the Plague War books happen before Vigilus, having read those selections, but since the third (and final?) book is not released we don't know if/how they intersect exactly.

It's kind of complicated when it comes to BA in that regard anyway. Guilliman arrived with the Indomitus Crusade the moment the Great Rift appeared and the sky cleared, so for the timeline from the BA PoV the Indomitus Crusade went only for an extremely short time.

It's kind of complicated when it comes to BA in that regard anyway. Guilliman arrived with the Indomitus Crusade the moment the Great Rift appeared and the sky cleared, so for the timeline from the BA PoV the Indomitus Crusade went only for an extremely short time.

Bingo. The Indomitus Crusade's internal timeline is about one hundred years. Outside of that, everything has its own internal timeline, but the overlaps are effectively completely at narrative decree; with hand-wave included: "[Guilliman] decreed that a single logic could no longer be applied to time and space within the Imperium.... There could be no unified calendar with so much temporal distortion occurring." (p. 20 Vigilus Defiant)

Time doesn't work the same all over the Galaxy due to the massive Warp storms and to time not working normally in the warp. So time all over the Imperium is not working like it should. There's a bit in the Plague Wars books that says that local planets no longer need to record their time in relation to Earth but to record it from their local clocks instead.

The only issue I have with that is that it's literally what the reference-check field was supposed to be for in the Imperial dating system. 0 was basically "date on Terra", 1 was "has direct astropathic communication with Terra", all the way through to "9", which was supposed to be "this is an estimate at best". I can only assume that Guilliman saw that basically everywhere was going to be 9 now, and just decided "screw it".