Let's talk primaris wargear

PiñaColada

Personally speaking I'm really happy we got all these intercessor upgrade sprues and I'm doing my darndest to chuck a thunderhammer on every sergeant I have but that doesn't mean I love the way it's been implemented throughout the codex. For clarity's sake, the intercessor sergeant equipment list currently looks like this; Chainsword, Powerfist, Power sword, Thunder hammer.

To which degree would it change your opinion of and/or alter the way you use Infiltrators, Incursors & Reivers if their sergeants got access to the same list? 

I know I'd be real keen to actually try out reivers with a thunderhammer hidden in that unit. As of right now CC reivers are only good at mulching chaff or locking things down, meaning they suck at things like eldar vehicles but just a singular TH would at least significantly up their threat profile for a somewhat modest cost.

Then there's also the case of if Intercessors will get access to more wargear with upgrade sprues from BA/SW/DA. Assume for a second they'd get access to Inferno pistols from the BA sprue and they'd be usable by any SM chapter, would you want to throw them on your sergeants? Are there any other pieces of cool wargear that might end up on a upgrade sprue that you're hoping to get?

For me the Inferno pistol would be great, because as a Salamander it would (most likely, not as of right now though) count as a melta weapon and be buffed by the promethean cult rule.

Assume for a second they'd get access to Inferno pistols from the BA sprue and they'd be usable by any SM chapter, would you want to throw them on your sergeants? Are there any other pieces of cool wargear that might end up on a upgrade sprue that you're hoping to get?

For me the Inferno pistol would be great, because as a Salamander it would (most likely, not as of right now though) count as a melta weapon and be buffed by the promethean cult rule.

There is already a BA Primaris Upgrades sprue, so no Inferno Pistols for you.

To answer the main thrust of the question, I really would like to see every Primaris unit sergeant have access to the same equipment. Having Fists and Hammers on Intercessors is one thing, but not being able to put them on your front-line units seems like a real missed opportunity.

You forgot the new handflamer.

Intercessors sergeants gear is starting to shape up, though i think it could do with a few more additions.

The rest of the units are an utter mess though. Only Hellblaster sergeants can take plasma pistols. 

Captains can only take bolt rifles and/or a powersword OR plasma pistols if paired with a powerfists.

Lieutenants are sword and pistol or bolt rifles only. (with a few minor variations for some of the big three ones)

what I really want to see is the intercessor sergeant gear list be expanded for all sergeants of all squads, all lieutenants and all captains. It's not too crazy out there is it, GW?

There is already a BA Primaris Upgrades sprue, so no Inferno Pistols for you.

Ugh, well that's that wargear option way less likely then

You forgot the new handflamer.

Intercessors sergeants gear is starting to shape up, though i think it could do with a few more additions.

The rest of the units are an utter mess though. Only Hellblaster sergeants can take plasma pistols. 

Captains can only take bolt rifles and/or a powersword OR plasma pistols if paired with a powerfists.

Lieutenants are sword and pistol or bolt rifles only. (with a few minor variations for some of the big three ones)

what I really want to see is the intercessor sergeant gear list be expanded for all sergeants of all squads, all lieutenants and all captains. It's not too crazy out there is it, GW?

The handflamer isn't technically on the Intercessor sergeant weapon list, though I don't understand the distinction between being there and simply being an option solely for the sergeant on the actual datasheet. Regarding characters and wargear I assume they'll trickle in over the months/years when GW decides to make a model for them. But all infantry sergeants are extremely unlikely to get a new model so it irks me more that they can't just use the same upgrade sprues. I certainly would appreciate more wargear options on primaris character as well though.

For sure, but just looking at how restrictive the primaris characters are GW seem happy to have them fully tied to actual models and don't want you to convert their own. Like why can't I have a plasma pistol and a stalker bolt rifle, or a powerfist and bolt pistol? I keep hoping for a multipart captain kit, because that's what it would take. 

But I really don't see any reason why the other infantry squads get zero wargear options. Is it just so versatility is supposed to be more of an intercessor thing? Are they afraid of stepping on the toes of some unreleased units? Plenty of things would just be cool and somewhat usable/sort of good like a handflamer on the reiver sergeant. Just let me have an ounce of personality on the sergeants

The upgrade sprues already come with pads for agressors, so it really is arbitrary reason to limit it to the JUST intercessor sergeants. Let's just hope GW takes out this particular stick from their behind, either by just loosening their rules, or releaseing some generic weapons sprue meant to be "used for all characters" or something.

As mentioned, BA and DA already have upgrade sprues. That's actually where the options for chainswords and power swords came from as they were not options when the units were originally released.

I don't mind single model customization using bits found outside the relevant kit, but I'm wary of a repeat of Deathwatch vets where the best selection of wargear wasn't included in the kit in any way.

power swords were already available on the 30th anniversary veteran sergeant too. But yes, it's obvious they are adding more and more options as different sources that have them pop up, further reinforcing that only want the rules to reflect what's in a box. Hopefully it'll eventually get drawn to its logical endpoint with their rules...

Just to be clear, what level of gaming are we talking here: Open Play, Narrative Play, Matched Play, or Competitive/Tournament Play? I'm not really seeing an issue with converting your various sergeants to carry different codex equipment, paying the appropriate points, and playing the game in an Open or Narrative setting. I would hope that your local opponents like to see cool conversions and wouldn't mind seeing them on the table... :ermm:

I obviously don't want to speak for everyone else but I myself want to have these options in matched play. Off the top of my head they wouldn't cause any sort of massive issues and whatever goes in matched play "trickles down" into narrative/open anyways. Creating cool conversions that would be illegal builds in 75% of all the games I play isn't something I'm vehemently opposed to but at the same time, those kind of things are always pushed all the way back into my workload.

I'm really not sure where I stand on our sprue. On the one hand, bits are far more plentiful than the others, and in that regard it's really good value. On the other, the non-CAD nature of it really shows, and large parts of it require significant reworking to fit Primaris.

What kills me about the sprues is how useless they are. I don't give a damn about pauldrons because most marine symbols aren't hard to handpaint once you get used to it, or if you have a gun; to simply spray on with a stencil. I don't just want weapons, I want upgrade sprues with unique torsos, arms, helmets, and heads representing the chapter culture. The pauldrons are just crappy filler not serving a real function.

I like the pauldrons, but painting salamanders freehand is a bit tricky and the rest of the sprue is still really strong for Salamanders though. I do think every chapter should've gotten a special weapon though. Plasma pistols, inferno pistols, power axe, maybe a combi-weapon would all be really welcome options to cycle into sergeant wargear. 

Over here in the Ravenspire we got another version of the same bolt rifle that every Marine player already has dozens of spares of.....

....with feathers on it.

Is a lightning claw too much to ask? Since it's our signature melee weapon?

Edited by Claws and Effect

Over here in the Ravenspire we got another version of the same bolt rifle that every Marine player already has dozens of spares of.....

....with feathers on it.

Is a lightning claw too much to ask? Since it's our signature melee weapon?

Yeah that stalker bolt rifle smelled suspiciously like, "It's 5pm on Friday, but I still haven't finished this Raven Guard sprue." Ctrl+C

To which degree would it change your opinion of and/or alter the way you use Infiltrators, Incursors & Reivers if their sergeants got access to the same list? 

Personally, I'd rather those squad sergeants get access to meltabombs as I feel planting charges fits more with the infiltration aesthetic than a powerfist or thunder hammer. That being said, if all the sergeants had access to the same list it wouldn't change my opinion of them. Whatever attractiveness Infiltrators, Incursors, and Reivers (leaving aside any issues of Reivers actually being attractive) have is rooted much more in their unit rules and what the entire squad brings to the table. An additional special weapon is nice, but if I want an infiltrating stealth thunder hammer then a 5 man scout squad is still my cheapest option.

If they would just release a generic sergeant upgrade sprue with the current available options things would be so much easier. They had one in 2nd edition. 1 of each weapon per sprue and 2 sprues to a pack. Easy peasy. Print money.

Then that could lead the way for reiver upgrade sprues and so on.

The old space wolf upgrade sprue was well in advance of the current primaris one, imo. It included loads of head options including scouts. Having waited an age for an Imperial Fist sprue, I realised that the shoulder pads are a pain to paint, and I kind of wish the pads hadn't been included in preference for more head options and transfers.

The primaris weapon options are all over the place and its frustrating. More so that not only do I need to buy the salamanders sprue to get hand flamer and thunder hammer, but I then need to do something about the chapter specific iconography.

The old space wolf upgrade sprue was well in advance of the current primaris one, imo. It included loads of head options including scouts. Having waited an age for an Imperial Fist sprue, I realised that the shoulder pads are a pain to paint, and I kind of wish the pads hadn't been included in preference for more head options and transfers.

The primaris weapon options are all over the place and its frustrating. More so that not only do I need to buy the salamanders sprue to get hand flamer and thunder hammer, but I then need to do something about the chapter specific iconography.

I mean... you could just take a terminator thunder hammer. Not sure where you would get the hand flamer bit from though. Maybe a bits store?