Stormtalon Tactica

L30n1d4s

This unit doesn't get as much attention as a lot of the other options in the SM Codex, but more and more (especially with the new Supplements), I think this Flyer can be a viable/competitive choice for an Astartes player.

Here are what I see as the advantages of taking a Stormtalon with the various different Chapters:

---

1 - Ultramarines -- With the ability to ignore -1 to Hit when moving and shooting in the Tactical Doctrine, UM can run one or multiple Stormtalons quite effectively, especially with its access to Strafing Run (i.e. so hitting on 2+s against units without Fly). Additionally, UM can buff the Stormtalon multiple ways, whether giving it re-rolls to Hit of 1 without any characters nearby (i.e. UM unique Strat), repositioning 1-3 Stormtalons before the game begins (with another UM Strat), using the Seal of Oath relic to give it re-rolls of all to Hits/to Wounds against a specific unit, or even use Chaplain Cassius to "double-buff" it (i.e. +1 to Hit and +1 to Wound, with two different Litanies).

2 - Raven Guard -- While there may not be as many obvious synergies with this Chapter, a "hidden gem" is the combination of the RG super-tactic (i.e. +1 to Hit and +1 to Wound vs Characters) and the mobility built in to the Stormtalon. Since it can move almost anywhere on the board in one turn and fly over units while doing so (and, importantly, go into Hover mode next turn, thus not "suiciding" itself by diving deep into a board corner and not being able to get back out without flying off the table), the Stormtalon is actually quite a potent little "assassin" flyer that can catch your opponent off guard and get itself into positions where a character/characters are the closest unit, and so eligible to be targeted by its shooting. If it can achieve this, then the RG Stormtalon can drop 12 Assault Cannon shots and six Heavy Bolter shots at BS2+ at a character (RG super tactic, plus Strafing Run, negates moving and shooting penalties), alll of which also gets +1 to wound (so wounding 2+s against the standard T5/T4/T3 characters that make up most armies). Against an Elder Farseer, for example, the RG Stormtalon would get and average of 15 Assault Cannon/Heavy Bolter hits, 12-13 wounds, and 6-7 Unsaved Wounds after the 4++ Invuls. Alternately, against Character Knights, a RG Storm Talon with Assault Cannons and dual Lascannons can do a surprising amount of damage once the Tactical doctrine is active, thanks to +1 to Hit and +1 to Wound, so this makes for a versatile platform using these Chapter Tactics. Finally, if a RG Stormtalon stays outside of 12" from enemy shooting, then it gets a "free" 2+ armor save, making it a bit more survivable than when used in other Chapters.

3 - Iron Hands -- Lots of people are already aware of how good these are.... with the IH super-doctrine, all their shooting not only gains -1AP thanks to Devastator Doctrine (so AP-2 Assault Cannons, AP-3 Krak Missiles, AP-4 Lascannons, etc.), but they also ignore the penalty for moving and shooting and can re-roll 1s to Hit for "free"... against targets without Fly, this translates to 2+s to Hit, re-rolling all 1s, for 97% accuracy with their ranged weaponry. Additionally, the 6+++ FNP, Overwatch on 5s and 6s, and resistance to degrading abilities even when it takes damage makes IH Stormtalons very durable and effective all game long. Finally, IHs have multiple Psychic Powers and Stratagems that can easily boost the durability and combat power of a Stormtalon, should you choose to use them on it (i.e. +1 to its Armor Save, re-rolls to Hit for all shooting, unmodified to Wound rolls of 6 causing two wounds instead of one, etc. etc.).

4 - Salamanders -- Right of the bat, Salamander Stormtalons get free re-rolls to Hit and to Wound (especially beneficially with lower rate fo fire weapon options, like the CML or Lascannons) and also ignore AP-1 weapons (which make the Stormtalon much more durable against lots of high volume shooting like Heavy Bolters, massed Bolter fire with the Tactical Doctrine on, Tau AP0 weapons upgraded to AP-1 with Battlesuit options, etc.). Additionally, Salamander Librarians can make Stormtalons much tougher to kill, with -1 to hit from Flameshield (so -2 to Hit when in Flyer mode), +1 to Toughness with Drakeskin/+1 to Toughness with Might of Heroes (so you could actually have a T8 Stormtalon that ignores AP-1 and has -2 to hit for all shooting attacks against it). Finally, Salamanders have access to the amazing "Crucible of Battle" Stratagem, which gives any selected unit +1 to Wound against anything it shoots at for only 1CP! This makes a Salamander Stormtalon capable of going solo hunting and being quite dangerous, but if you can shoot the Stormtalon at the closest enemy and combine this Strat with another +1 to Wound from a Chaplain's Litanies, then you can have a Stormtalon that is wounding T7/T8 targets on 3+s even when shooting with max Assault Cannons/Heavy Bolters (i.e. 18 x S5/6 AP-1 shots total).

5 - White Scars -- On first glance, this might be the most counter-intuitive Chapter to use Stormtalons with since most of the White Scars unique abilities are focused on mobility (which the Stormtalon already has plenty of) and melee (which the Stormtalon is generally poor at, with WS6+). Surprisingly, however, I think WS Stormtalons can be quite potent when used by a canny player. Specifically, you can put a WS Stormtalon into Hover mode, then move it 20" + D6" advance + 2D6" charge (with lots of ways to buff this change, including Strats and Psychic Powers and Chaplain Litanies) for an average charge threat radius of 31"... between this and the ability to make the Stormtalon immune to Overwatch via the "Storm-Wreathed", a WS Stormtalon  can easily get across the board and tie up key enemy shooting units (e.g. Tau Broadsides, Leman Russ Tanks, Ork Lootaz,  SM Leviathons and TFCs, Tyrand Hive Guard, Eldar Dark Reapers, Necron Immortals, CSM Obliterators, etc. ) as early as Turn 1, in turn neutralizing a key part of the enemy army before it can inflict damage on your forces. Thanks to its built-in Chapter Tactics, a WS Stormtalon can "rinse and repeat this all game long, falling back, shooting, then charging again to tie up a different unit turn after turn and thus constantly denying your opponent key shooting capacity. Alternately, a WS Stormtalon can use the "Encirclement" Stratagem to start in Reserve and then arrive on Turn 2, making sure that it gets at least one turn of shooting before your opponent can engage it. Finally, WS Stormtalons can use the "Ride hard, Ride Fast" and "Hunter's Fusillade" Strats to Advance (gaining extra movement and an additional -1 to Hit) and still be able to shoot its Heavy Weapons as if they were Assault Weapons, making it versatile even when operating far from friendly forces.

6 - Imperial Fists -- Imperial Fist Stormtalons are exceptionally versatile, since they can be used against "normal" targets quite effectively already, but also can become tremendously deadly against vehicles, with even Heavy Bolters and Assault Cannons gaining Dmg2 when targeting vehicles. Add in the "Tank Hunters" Strat for an additional +1 to wound versus vehicles, "Bigg Guns Never Tire" Strat to negate the penalty for moving and shooting, and the Eye of Hypnoth Relic on a nearby Jump Pack Captain and an Imperial Fists Stormtalon with Heavy Bolter/Assault Cannon loadout can either shred enemy infantry (2+ to Hit, re-roll both 1s to hit and 1s to wound with 18 x S6/S5 AP-2 Dmg1 shots) or tear up vehicles (same profile, but all shots have +1 to Wound and Dmg2, meaning an IF Stormtalon can reliably kill a T7 3+ "Rhino equivalent" in a single Shooting phase. On top of all this, IF Stormtalons ignore Cover with their shooting and can also generate "free" extra shots with Heavy Bolters if they are equipped with them, making them even better value against a whole variety of targets.

Excellent write up brother. Makes me feel a little sad with my fairly mundane RG successor talons.

Still they are well suited for RG infantry oriented forces. Assassination is their primary role for me, particularly TFCs and similar hidden AI type units.

Talons have great synergy with invictors as pressure units.