I'm tired of the slander!

Ascanius

Yes, they are - and the hydraulic pistons between the knee and ankle plate should be able to push in and out to balance the feet on various angled surfaces, etc. If the struts between the "hip" and central "pelvis" had sliding grooves with various locking slots interior in them, they could also push in and out to stand the legs more upright, etc. Stumpy should be quite capable of ascending stairs by raising the femur structure at the knee as well - but the running speed might be a little questionable...

Is there more to this?

Yes, they are - and the hydraulic pistons between the knee and ankle plate should be able to push in and out to balance the feet on various angled surfaces, etc. If the struts between the "hip" and central "pelvis" had sliding grooves with various locking slots interior in them, they could also push in and out to stand the legs more upright, etc.

Is there more to this?

Iirc, a recurring 'complaint' about the Boxnaughts is that "their legs are too short" or "they can't walk with such stumpy legs".

Iirc, a recurring 'complaint' about the Boxnaughts is that "their legs are too short" or "they can't walk with such stumpy legs".

That I've known for a long while, they do look quite comical, but is there anything more than the obvious to discuss here?

It's probably a retcon, but the short legs are explained in the HH series, as the box-naut was designed for ship boarding actions and such, so its as armored as possible while still fitting inside an STC ship corridor.

After you get the reactor, all the armor, and the weapons, and the life support pod for the marine, they had to cut something down to size, and well, the legs were left.

But hey, you don't need to run fast, when you can kill everything when you get there.

(I love the box-nauts, theyre so iconic to 40k for me)

Even GW staff talk about how dreadnoughts can't really walk and it's nonsense.

Or how Jes Goodwin said about the imperial knight - "The only suspension it has is the suspension of disbelief".

It looks like it could work, but if you were to calculate it in detail, it wouldn't really work.

A boxnaught looks like it maybe could work in a limited way. A contemptor/redemptor/levi looks a lot more like it could work. Suspension of disbelief has its limits, and the boxnaught is at that limit (or over it, depending on view).

Even GW staff talk about how dreadnoughts can't really walk and it's nonsense.

Doesn't this come out of the Dawn of War cutscene where they allegedly had to slightly redesign the box-naught to animate it?

Nobody ever said they literally didn't have knees.

Now all we need is an image of a Redemptor dread pointing at that image while holding a redemptor fist protectively over a boxnought, captioned with the ominous line.

Then we'll be able to finally stop dreadnought legshaming once and for all.

My problem I have is that like most things in 40k the scale of the model doesn't match the art or the fluff.

See here for a reference

https://40k.gallery/img/40K-artwork/40K-Gallery-0300.jpg

I feel ya. Took us decades to get close to correctly scaled space marines and people threw fits about it. Can you imagine if they resize vehicles? 

I feel ya. Took us decades to get close to correctly scaled space marines and people threw fits about it. Can you imagine if they resize vehicles? 

People threw fits about the, "We're not replacing Marines...but we actually are just slowly and not saying that we are" thing. Not about the scale.

People threw fits about the, "We're not replacing Marines...but we actually are just slowly and not saying that we are" thing. Not about the scale.

Perhaps. I'm in the camp that was excited about the new line though. Love that Primaris play like Space Marines should have always played. They are tough and hit hard. :D

But yeah. Dreadnoughts have knees.