Siege of Terra - Saturnine by Dan Abnett

Shovellovin

As a member of this community:

Ok that bit about Endryd sounds AWESOME. :D

Josh did well in fleshing him out and showing us some actual Blackshield stuff. They could've done more to cover that great aspect of the Heresy.

As a Mod:

We're already 27 pages into this thread. I recommend to continue the "what Dan does" talk in a seperate thread.

Hilariously that pastebin file shows the incredible partiality of early hot takes and reactions. The conversation has all been about 

primarchs and the Emperor and some deaths
when right there, the book had huge stuff going relating to 
that perennial concern, what's happening with Ollanius Pius and his death.
I'm not even saying it's good or bad, just that while people were flipping out over one thing, you have this much, much bigger deal going completely undiscussed because whoever posted the first early morning 'findings' didn't think to mention it. That's the only reason we haven't had 10 pages of back and forth on the matter yet.

It also seems to change the idea of

the Emperor's personality being laid out and defined here. If that description is even vaguely chronological or matching the sequence in the book, then it sounds like when the other perpetual is giving an account of how he was ambitious but admirable and even funny, it's paired with the ancient scientist saying how he was a cynical monster, unable to take criticism or deal with dissent. That's obviously a summary of a summary of a novel we haven't read but it's the ghost of something that brute 'lore' spoilers just cannot convey. Will be interesting to see if that's actually there.
Edited by Sandlemad

Back to the Battle of Doom and its context.

The fight the SoH get into, was that Pert using them as a distraction?

And I know Fulgrim and the EC get bloodied, was that part of Pert's plan or was Fulgrim just doing whatever he wanted?

The spoilers from yesterday sound like the IF and SoH had a knife fight in a phonebooth.

Back to the Battle of Doom and its context.

The fight the SoH get into, was that Pert using them as a distraction?

And I know Fulgrim and the EC get bloodied, was that part of Pert's plan or was Fulgrim just doing whatever he wanted?

The spoilers from yesterday sound like the IF and SoH had a knife fight in a phonebooth.

In a basement and those spoilers have me frothing at the mouth from the damage they did over on reddit. Anyway, Dorn had them dug out into tunnels and Land was prepping super-cement/satanic-quicksand to plug the holes from the drills (amusingly, it would be super effective elsewhere but Land gets reassigned before he can perfect it).

I am not sure how but they apparently convinced reddit that Erdu authoritatively described the Emp as Stalin. Damn BL and their release schedule.

Fulgrim wasn't Pert, Abbadon needed cover and asked Eidolon to get him five or so companies for the cover attack. Fulgrim heard and was interested enough to bring the full legion on four-legged aircraft carriers mounted with rock concert sets and noise weapons along with psychedelic mist.

Amusingly, Pert saw the flaw and figured Dorn would account for it. Abbadon convinced him that Dorn can't be perfect and asked for approval to do it. Pert figured he is not really losing anything in the bet and approved it.

The book establishes that a siegemaster's mind like Pert does not really smaller victories or losses. Its all just variables in the long haul to the siege, its what makes him relentless.He did choke out Abby and toss him like a ragdoll when he pushed Pert once too far.

Edited by StrangerOrders

Thanks for the fuller context of what went on. I was under the impression that it was Pert who was the driving force of that.

I remember the loud angry noises when The Master of Mankind was freshly released. Most who were finally able to read the book liked it, I certainly did. Abnett could spend 18 hours a day on forums trying to explain the context, those who are angry about any change to how they see the Emperor, will stay mad no matter what.

You cant please all of the people all of the time and all that. Thank you StrangerOrders for your insights. Seeing the inner workings of Perturabo and his understanding is great and seeing even more would be awesome. Such a shame he fell.

Something the expanded spoilers seems to clarify re: Khârn

is it possible he doesn't see or notice at first not because of any skill discrepancy, but because he's so far gone, and/or empowered by Khorne, that he is more like Daemons seeing souls? Of which she doesn't have one? He's on auto pilot, under the influence of Khorne?

This is the guy whose muscles burst out of his power armour like the Hulk bursts his clothes, and punches holes into a tank hull

Too much for any unaugmented warrior to handle

My Khârn is ADBs Khârn, and while I've not kept up much as the fatigue from way too many unnecessary books set in, I don't remember him hulking out of his armour and bursting through tanks in Slaves to Darkness either.

My head canon renders stories of leaping over tall buildings and shooting lightning out of his arse as....delusional ravings of mortals.

So I will prefer to imagine that it's soul sight and a lack of the soul, to explain it. :p

Abnett's dialogue is a lot more snappy. His marines especially tend to speak more informally like, as has been observed in the real world, comrades in arms who have spent years training and fighting together. I find his marines sometimes have a tone found only in the guardsmen in works of other BL authours.

I think that BL's best are all good with their dialogue, though Abnett skews more to the naturalistic and informal.

I reckon you could put them on a spectrum going Abnett - AD-B - Wraight - French, in terms of how formal/fantasy-ward the tone of their dialogue leans.

Edited by bluntblade

Just finished the book. Honestly everyone getting worked up about out of context spoilers and the paratext is doing themselves a disservice, I would honestly recommend just closing this thread, avoiding spoilers and just reading this when it becomes available as this is a cracking read. Best book of the siege, series so far all the primarchs are portrayed well and are genuinely threatening, the legions relevant strengths are all shown and more importantly you really get the feel of the grinding nature of this part of the siege.

Loved it.

No ones really mentioned it, but need to mention just how awesome Camba Diaz is. He's one of those characters who I wanted so much more info about, purely just for his cool :cussing name, since he was mentioned in Mechanicum. But in Saturnine....boy

His last stand and death, not one step back, just that montage of him killing and killing and killing, till he is just left dead and standing, having never taken one step back to where he drew a line with his sword. Was just awesome. Was hoping for more of him, but knew he was done as soon as he went to the Eternity Port. But as far as deaths go. Fantastic.

So here is a question thats making me nervous as I'll have to paint the guy soon:

What color is sigsmunds armour? IIRC in first wall they said it was black

Black, with yellow detailing(i presume the shoulderpads) and an ebon tabard.