Siege of Terra - Saturnine by Dan Abnett

Shovellovin

Anyone with the actual physical book up for putting the dramatis personae here? I’m curious how to spell the actual names like Neeberand and Cadwalla.

I got that in 5 min...

Saul Niborran, Solar General.

Cadwalder, Huscarl.

https://images.app.goo.gl/E6rkKDXPK7i3NjDb9

Edited by Indefragable

I'm still expecting a lot more from Sig than cutting a pre-occupied Aximand's hand off and taking a Traitor blade for Dorn and pulling it away (his most memorable scenes in Saturnine to me)

To be clear, I don't think that I'm entitled to it or that the authours ought to cater to my preferences...but a fan can hope, right???

I don’t know if it’s the Worf effect, or it’s collective authorial overcompensation....but Sigismund does feel off. It’s almost like each portrayal wants to show him not doing remarkable stuff b/c they expect others to show him doing crazy stuff.

And I’m one who thinks Sig is pretty much OP in 30k...

I would say Angron would be the Worf on the traitor side...except he really hasn’t done anything of note throughout the entire HH series other than Betrayer ... or am I missing something?

The trick Perturabo pulls with the Iron Circle in Slaves to Darkness is kind of neat...but it’s disappointing in the big picture. Like....yes, it makes Pert come off as clever and able to defeat his brothers with his brain instead of his bicep....but like......isn’t Angron’s entire shtick that he is the one dude that would be strong enough to just break through...even before he gets up-daemoned? Didn’t he defeat Curze’s inescapable maze by just breaking through all the walls?

I was OK with Angron getting shot up by Pert.

Other than Betrayer, peak of the WE experience imo, he's not supposed to do much in the story but wreck stuff and stare down the Angel...which we covered.

I think Sigismund came off as petulant in this book, but is that his character now?

Someone ruined him for me once he became a True Believer.

I liked what Pert did in StD, because it showed up the downsides to what ascension brings. The real Worf to me is Lucius. His whole schtick was supposed to be that he was an unbeaten duellist, and I honestly can't think of a single duel he's won, but he's been punked by everyone he's come up against.

In Sigismund's case, I don't think it's the Worf Effect, I think it's supposed to be that he's having a crisis of faith. Unfortunately, he's fallen trap to the same thing as Ferrus, and he never got any time in the limelight before everything went to crud. Instead, we're just told over and over that he's supposed to be the bestest duelist ever, but haven't really ever been shown it.

I don’t know if it’s the Worf effect, or it’s collective authorial overcompensation....but Sigismund does feel off. It’s almost like each portrayal wants to show him not doing remarkable stuff b/c they expect others to show him doing crazy stuff.

And I’m one who thinks Sig is pretty much OP in 30k...

I would say Angron would be the Worf on the traitor side...except he really hasn’t done anything of note throughout the entire HH series other than Betrayer ... or am I missing something?

The trick Perturabo pulls with the Iron Circle in Slaves to Darkness is kind of neat...but it’s disappointing in the big picture. Like....yes, it makes Pert come off as clever and able to defeat his brothers with his brain instead of his bicep....but like......isn’t Angron’s entire shtick that he is the one dude that would be strong enough to just break through...even before he gets up-daemoned? Didn’t he defeat Curze’s inescapable maze by just breaking through all the walls?

i'm not a fan of that schtick, so i'm glad it didn't happen with perts

I'm still expecting a lot more from Sig than cutting a pre-occupied Aximand's hand off and taking a Traitor blade for Dorn and pulling it away (his most memorable scenes in Saturnine to me)

To be clear, I don't think that I'm entitled to it or that the authours ought to cater to my preferences...but a fan can hope, right???

Actually, I think you are "entitled":yes: Sigismund has been set up by both the general lore and various segments of the HH as one of THE major bad asses with a sword (Templar by John French springs to mind as a good HH example) and rightly so, I think. But, we just didn't get that here and I think we should have.

Edited by Brother Lunkhead

Templar captured some of his consummate prowess in the Jubal duel (and Jubal came across well too)...but it's all been a bit underwhelming since then. So here's hoping.

Don't even get me started on how they did my boy Jubal dirty.

Alas, poor [Jubal]! I knew him, [b&C]: a fellow

of infinite jest, of most excellent [skill]

This has been a truly fascinating thread. To weigh in here with a lot less words, this for me is by far my favourite Siege of Terra novel. I thought Dan nailed every single element of this book. There was so much rich content that I need to read it all again.

Mind-blowingly brilliant! I would put it up there with 'know no fear' and 'Legion' as one of Dan's best HH contributions.

Theory: the rise of the Imperial Cult and the pressing of the Sigismund button are Dorn's Lightning Tower. He's not really perturbed by tearing down a palace to build a fortress - he's terrified of the fact that he may have to sanction theism to defeat the traitors, bringing an end to what the Imperium could have been.

I'm not too worried about Sigismund not getting his moments. Still 4 books left and it seems they wanted a bit more of an arc for him rather than just slaughtering traitors with ease non-stop over all 8 books.

Any more thoughts on Marr and Aximand? What happened to those two is my main lingering gripe with the book.

I'm all for some surprise deaths, yet the way those two went out just feels more like wasted characters to me. Both were ideal figures for further development and viewpoints into the legion over the last half of the series, Marr especially as an up and comer.

Theory: the rise of the Imperial Cult and the pressing of the Sigismund button are Dorn's Lightning Tower. He's not really perturbed by tearing down a palace to build a fortress - he's terrified of the fact that he may have to sanction theism to defeat the traitors, bringing an end to what the Imperium could have been.

Possible. My favorite short of the series is the Last Remembrancer, and watching Dorn struggle with killing the Imperium is always enjoyable.

Interesting..... perhaps I missed this part in the book. Where does this subject appear in Saturnine?:happy.:

I really, really liked Sigismund vs the Sons of Horus in Solar War. It might not have been a display of his pure swordsmanship, but damn did that scene stick with me. 

I'd say it's of a piece with Abaddon in the same book and here. I don't want Sigismund to be so much better than the other Great Warriors. I'm quite happy with what we've had so far.

I mean it's kind of one of my issues with the setting. Is the tragedy what Abnett covers in the afterword?

Humanity needs their faith, even if that really just means Hell is real?

That Lorgar was right?

That the Imperial Truth was always just a lie?

That the entire crusade was built on a falsehood?

I mean as a forever Chaos player that simple rings as pure as it gets. :p

Related: does anyone have high res images of the Saturnine map?

https://imgur.com/q1jLDjd

Maybe it just my app but that one doesn’t have legible writing. The other ones come in high res with the details defined but all the ones I’m finding are snaps of the map from the LE version

The cult is a major current in the book, and there are references to dorns tower of fear at the start and end.

I was aware of that. I thought I may have missed a specific scene in the book. Thanks for clarification:yes:

Sigismund is supposed to be a step or two above the other Great Warriors...just not a league above them.

It's quite obvious from First Wall that

by giving themselves to Chaos, the likes of Khârn have gained a major advantage over Sigismund and other loyalist champions...another example would be Skraivok's Daemonsword giving him a marked advantage against Raldoron in LatD.

Interested in how another another authour executes the idea of Sigismund ascending to become the Emperor's Champion. Is the Emperor going to bless him or is Keeler going to unlock his faith and fury? Have to avoid it being hokey, like an RPG power-up