Siege of Terra - Saturnine by Dan Abnett

Shovellovin

Waiting for mine in the post hopefully tomorrow then... 

Interesting choice of characters, but then again Abnett invented both Loken and Sinderman so we should do a much better job that others. Krole as a POV character should be interesting. 

Also, pretty sure ADB has all but confirm in a post on here that Abnett was set to write the last book? 

Wasn't Severian also nicknamed the Lone Wolf?

He’s definitely been referred to as that. In fact when you google ‘sevarian lone wolf’ (lack of capitalization intentional) you get results from book descriptions, whereas with ‘garviel loken lone wolf’ there’s just results for Loken. Hopefully it will be explained in the books, but it seems odd at first glance.

Abnett should have done all of them, he writes the best HH stuff by far, although that would probably take 20+ years considering his involvement with Marvel/DC.

Not even remotely true. Everything after and especially including Prospero Burns was below ADB, Wraight, and French.

>Implying that the Path of Heaven was better than Know no Fear

:biggrin.:

Anyway, can somebody share Dramatis Personae pages please?

For me, to many people seem to hate it as they complain it didn't show the Burning of Prospero, despite the title. But the novel may not show the Burning, what it does show is why the burning happened. How both sides were manipulated into it and played. I loved it and consider it to be one of the best in the series.

IMO the HH series has often been at its best when it doesn't quite show you want you thought it would. So many of the events covered in the whole story arc have become moments in the overall 40k cannon that have been part of the setting's myth for literally decades now. 

You could say that this is also why bits of the SoT series so far have been a little underwhelming. You'd got pretty much ever major character from the series so far and, on the Traitor side, most of the iconic Chaos characters from the 40k setting, vying for attention and a lot of *iconic* moments to cover. There is only limited opportunity to approach central story moments from a different angle. 

I will also say that Abnett was seemingly the only writer that remembered that the Luna Wolves and their Primarch were supposed to be charismatic and likable.

Abaddon was temperamental in Abnett's work but he was still a carefully controlled commander capable of reading a room and even joking to put people at ease. Contrast this to the HH making him an angry ball of scorn and angst that barely grasps battlefield strategy, much less seems able to sway a room. My personal theory is that the Interex must have captured him and rectally implanted a set of Butcher's Nails between Rising and False Gods.

Or how the Luna Wolves have devolved into a bunch of barbarians that seem to think discipline is a foreign word and namedrop 'savagery' two times a sentence. Maybe it is just ADB being a better writer than most but the world eaters come across as more competent and organized than the Sons these days.

And Horus... well, just Horus.

What makes it worse is that alot of writers felt the need to give us pre-Chaos flashbacks to show that the XVI, Abby and Horus were always insufferable, fractious morons obsessed with rubbing everyone else's face in their glory without a hint of subtlety that make its astounding that anyone ever looked up to them.

Honestly, their disciplined, charismatic and likable outing in Horus Rising seems more like a fit of temporary sanity than any established trait these days. That we keep being told that they are those things but are never shown does not do a bit to convince me. I'm desperately hoping they get some of this on display in Abnett's hands.

Can we come back to the novel, please?

We all Love Dan and He truly deserves it. How about a seperate "Dan the man" thread? :wink:

Apologies if the post got off topic.

Anyway, on the novel.

I am hoping that the Luna Wolves get alot of love and that Horus gets some screen time. Showing Abbadon be confronted by the ultimate proof of his whole 'for my brothers' thing being pure hypocrisy (Loken) would be especially awesome.

My one point of uncertainty is the presence of Garro, I'll be honest and say i've never really been won over by him under any writer. I find him to a bit dull as a character and by far the least interesting Terran (his entire shtick is not being a death guard... but he doesnt have any of what made the Dusk Raiders unique going on either...).

I'd be happy to see what the Perpetuals are up to just because it would offer a momentary freedom from the 'random humans who mean nothing get 30% of the screen time' show. These humans are at least relevant by virtue of knowledge and ability at least, whether you like them or not, better than 'Rando McEveryMan' and 'Randa Ap NotNearlyAsInterestingAsTheRangda'. 

Also, I like Oll. He is a living 'people's random theories about Earth not being Earth and the Emp being a DAoT Thingy are BS' machine (granted, said folks discount our literally getting a PoV of the Stone Aged Murder Knife confirming that Terra is Terra, so who the heck knows).

There are 2 arc's I would love to have some actual relevance for and closed out.

Perpetuals

Loken/Garro and those Knights.

Neither of them are particularly relevant to the Heresy, I would prefer neither existed, but they do, so....make them relevant and close it out?

sometimes i wish the half-heard was current the loyalist luna wolf perspective. i think the whole "his voice will be heard louder than any in his legion" could have led to something amazing during the siege

digressing

i'm a tad bored by both loken and garro too, but i trust abnett to do something interesting with both

Edited by mc warhammer

I'm nowhere close to bored by Loken or Garro, myself, even if I'd have prefered Loken to remain proper dead on Isstvan III. However, I do think Swallow has done a piss-poor job with them in The Buried Dagger (a dreadful enough capstone for the numbered series to begin with), and Loken's involvement in The Solar War just felt extremely off and irrelevant. Then again, I didn't particularly enjoy the plot around Mersadie Oliton in the first place.

Garro definitely has a place yet, though. He's supposed to be the first martyr of the Imperial Creed, as per Garro: Weapon of Fate's ramblings, which were supposedly attributed to Sindermann. With the way Kyril and Keeler are being handled, drawing the interest of Malcador, who Garro himself has been defiant of from the start, and the involvement of Amon, we might be seeing something in that regard in Saturnine or after it yet.

I wonder if Garro will be meeting with Sigismund, though, considering Sigismund is not yet a true believer, even if he's finally starting to understand his role as per the climax of The First Wall, and puts a lot of trust in Keeler. With Euphrati having basically groomed Garro into becoming an adherent of the Lectitio, it's an easy connection to make, if you ask me.

=][= ...... and we are spiraling way out of the orbit of this topic. Back on course please =][=

Are we, as far as Loken and Garro are concerned? They're both featured as important characters in Saturnine via the bust artworks. So I don't really think some mild speculation as to their roles going forward, with Saturnine and beyond, and how Abnett might tie them back into other plotlines, is too far off the beaten track. At least until we have some actual spoilers for the book. Thankfully those should arrive over the coming days anyway.

Won't read the spoilers anymore. Rather want to read the series in one turn without any influences. ;) Though I think I need to read them to keep an eye on you guys. -.- :P

But I would love you even more than I already do, if someone could share the bust artworks. :D

Am I the only one whose order still hasn't even shipped, or is this the case for others too?

I called GW about mine but they are working from home and they cant answer phones, so sent them a mail.

Today should be the last day when it was estimated to ship (within 6 days...).

Mine hasn’t shipped either. (Edit: if you’re in the US) Memphis is a big hub for FedEx and someone got a positive test result at their corporate headquarters there. That plus GW being careful and having people work from home has probably delayed some things. Edited by cheywood

I'm in Europe actually.

Just getting a bit anxious cause they are taking very long to even get it out of their warehouse and this a precious limited edition we're talking about here which sold out in 3 minutes. So one does not rest easily if one's order keeps being pending....

I'm in Europe actually.

Just getting a bit anxious cause they are taking very long to even get it out of their warehouse and this a precious limited edition we're talking about here which sold out in 3 minutes. So one does not rest easily if one's order keeps being pending....

I hear ya. I got a tracking email so I know mine exists but not much else. In these times I don’t think there’s much to do except be patient. A lot of essential items are moving through the delivery system and ours are low priority.

Edit: not to mention GW itself isn’t an essential business and ideally they’re focusing on containment and safety over customer satisfaction

Edited by cheywood