Build a Warband Workshop

With the new inquisition's index seemingly focused on adding an inquisitor + sidekicks to another Imperium force, I thought it might benefit all of us agents to see what other people are focused on as far as specific warbands you're thinking of adding to IG, Space Marines, Custodians, SoB, etc. Preferably, we'd all post a warband, what army we'd plan on using it with, and how you plan on it helping out that other army.

I'll be glad to start us off with the Ordo Xenos party wagons.

Ordo Xenos Vanguard Detachment-

Inquisitor - Psyker (Psychic Veil), Force Sword, and Plasmagun

Acolyte - Plasmagun and Bolt Pistol

Jokaero x2

Inquisitorial LR Prometheus x2

The basic plan for this army is to take advantage of the gimmick that is the Ordo Xenos Psychic Veil power. Once activated, essentially the inquisitor picks up a 6" aura of things around me can't be targeted unless their closest. This means that, assuming I can get the power off and my tanks survive turn 1 against a savy opponent that knows what I'm doing, I have 4 cover ignoring quad heavy bolters operating with some kind of reroll (jokaeros) and you can't shoot back against them. The acolyte is there to fill out the detachment (and hopefully help with his gun a bit.) The inquisitor can also be buffed up with the Ordo Xenos relic (wounds non-vehicle/titanic on 2+) and, probably, the puritan warlord trait if I think that he'll see combat.

Ideally, I'd field this with a guard army. IG can field decent screen and other high priority tanks to distract the enemy. They can also throw out a few other psykers with relative ease to stretch the enemy's ability to shut down psychic veil.

Good idea libris! I've yet to get my copy of WD (should arrive tomorrow, ready for me to peruse from Thursday) but I'm keen to use my "Greyfax" as I've not got her in a game yet. The tweak to detachment inclusion will help here, but I'm not sure what to do for Acolytes so I'll be interested to hear what fellow Inquisitors have planned. I've been feeling like I should dabble once more with converting and kitbashing some more Inquisition models recently too...

As for armies, I will sprinkle the Inquisition around in all viable ones - their inclusion is justification enough, I don't worry about filling niches or the like ;)

So... Many... Warbands!

1: The Psychic Containment Vanguard

Greyfax

Cullexus Assassin

5 SoS Vigilators

5 SoS Witch Seekers

Kharon Pattern Acquisitor

Note: the Acquisitor does not have 8th Ed. rules, but I want it for the aesthetic; also, I think the assassin has to be fielded as it's own detachment, which leaves me 1 elite choice short of a Vanguard. Once we get the new SoS character model, she can fill the missing spot. The Acquisitor has a transport capacity of 12, so once Aleya joins the warband, the Cullexus is on foot; truth be told, he probably would deploy on foot even if there was room in the transport. The campaign trigger for this is an assault the Progenium by a Slaaneshi cult, seeking nascent psykers ripe for corruption.

2: The Penitent Legion [spearhead]

Karamazov

Taddeus the Purifier

Pious Vorne

3 Penitent Engines

9 Arcoflagellants

Note: This detachment usually contains a lot more; I will work my way up to a full 9 penitent engines once the new kit drops as a single [i already have 3 classic PE, and I have a preorder box on the way]. I would also add a priest to accompany the flagellants, then I'd get 2 more squads of 9 with their own priests and finally, 3 mistresses and 3 full units of Repentia. THAT is the Penitent Legion; the selection above is merely a penitent warband. The campaign tigger for this warband occurs after Celestians interrupt the Slaaneshi cult in the middle of a daemon summoning ritual. Karamazov is there to judge whether the Celestians have been tainted by the encounter; his verdict is that the sisters must take the Penitent oath, becoming the Repentia unit known as "The Daemon Marked"

3: The Xenopurge 

Eisenhorn

Watch Master

2 x 5 man Kill Teams

Corvus Blackstar

Note: I don't yet have the Deathwatch Codex, so it's hard to build this- I don't know what DW has for troops/ elites, so I'm not sure whether it can be made to work as a detachment. The campaign trigger for this Warband occurs after the Imperial Guard discover a Genestealer Cult that has infected the Nobles of the Thresher Houses.

All of these are standard detachments with an Inquisitor added; they are meant to be 40k compliant. I love warband style gaming, and I have several other warband concepts, though some require house rules and not all include Inquisitors. I'm right now trying to figure out what I want a House Locarno vanguard to look like. I'm riffing on Espern Locarno, Aradia Madellan, an Astropath, 3 Wyrdvanes and 6 House Locarno Militia converted from Necromunda Palanite Enforcers, all packed into a Valkyrie.