Hope for DW? CA 2019

GrinNfool

I'm running a unit with shotguns, but it still feels like a hard sell compared to Stormbolters for a single point more.

Stalker boltguns are great. They don't fit with the way I usually prefer to deploy and use Veteran units, but I have a combat squad of them to sit back and hold objectives with.

I have both as well. Shotguns are sweet in minimum sized unit and pair well with frags - disembark, advance and shoot. I would agree that it is not my top choice but its a fun little unit.

Stalkers are pretty awesome and have quite a bit of synergy with heavy bolters, infernus heavy bolters and missile launchers. Or just take a unit of 5 for back field camping. The range is great and makes it more ideal for anti-infantry support since it's the 2 shots @ 1 dmg.

If you want something that can move and shot, but still have AP punch, the Intercessors with an aggressor can perform a similar roll. IMO, the stalker is better because that's more dice at an overall cheaper price.

When I finally get around to building them (backburner atm), I was interested in making two (not just the usual one) 6-man units of stalker pattern with HB or ML etc. I've enough other marines for the SS/SB unit as well as a dozen more to be magnetized for some shotguns and FCs as they look ace on the DW marines.

I have some of the ETB primaris models from conquest and 3 more frag/bolt aggressors so I can do a limited intergressor or interblaster squad. But this wasnt my preference, just there as a backup.

I like stalker squads, I got some reasonable mileage out of them when the gun was 4 points, so down 3 points ea. should make them quite points efficient.  I usually just shoved them in cover somewhere in the middle of my deployment with good sight lines, and include 2-3 guys holding storm shields for a 2+/3++ unit thats annoying to displace.  Occasionally throw in a term with cyclone just to add in some AV.  Think that squad went down 23 points now.  As for shotguns.... I think they should be free, and even then they would see minimal use.  Losing out on 2 SIA shots at the range they function.  On top of that for 1 point more you can get a storm bolter.  They have some fringe uses I suppose reasonable gun to give to a squad that is expecting to be w/ in 8" range of the enemy and advancing to do so (frags/sometimes infernus), and gives extra anti charge insurance.  Not that anyone ever wants to charge a squad with 2 frags anyways...

Only other way I see shotguns being useful is part of some combat squad amalgamation split that is sending a couple vets with VVs and terms expecting to see close combat, as they would sorta function act as a charge deterrent, w/o costing the 20 points of a frag.  Giving one to a blackshield or normal vet splitting off with that group might be reasonable.  They are just very niche weapons.  Not necessarily bad just not great.  Its fire mode options need a tune up when compared to SIA IMO.

Crypt clearer = ok but SIA bolter would be better except between 12"-16" and if you are having to advance to get in range to shoot a frag or get on an obj.

Wyrmsbreath = hand flamer +1" range for 7" and not pistol this is fine, not great, but its an ok option in a pinch.

Xenopurge = With the rise of marines and all the primaris out there this one strangely finds some use by virtue of the ap-1 at 8" or less range making it 2 damage.  But unless you are fighting a lot of multiwound or FNP t3/4 enemies its pretty specific in its use.

I think they could polish the shotgun up to reasonable usage if they made a couple minor changes.  Give crypt clearer + 1 str at half range, OR give it ap -1.  Make wyrmsbreath ap -1 OR let it reroll failed wounds.  For Xenopurge give same treatment as crypt clearer, either AP-2 OR +1 str at half range.  That would at least make it more competitive with the boltgun at that range 2 shots wounding on 2s or ap-2 (free) or the SB at that range 4 shots wounding on 2s or ap-2(1 point more)  Having to compete with SIA necessitates the weapon function a little better than it does current to see much use.  Its one of what, 4 weapons unique to DW and its probably the least functional weapon with hvy thunderhammer being 18 points now.

Edited by GrinNfool

A stalker squad is usually the first Troops choice on any list I run. Typically I run:

5 stalkers

1 heavy bolter

1 missile launcher

They get somewhere with good LoS, the stalkers good at chipping away at screening infantry and the HB and ML excellent for the mortal wound stratagems.

I often pair them with a TLLC/ML ven dread and a Watch Master as a back field castle

Will anyone field a Thunder Hammer smash captain now? I only just built mine :D Still tempted to run him with Castellan of the Black Vault: 5 attacks on the charge dealing 4D each could make a lot of difference to a list that struggles to put down enemy vehicles.

Did Frag Cannons come down in points as well? They've been mentioned in a couple of places, but weren't listed in this thread.

I’m actually thinking of running him with TH and a SB instead of SS. He’s till a homing missile and it’s 2cp to fight twice when he dies.

Right now we’re paying the C:SM cost without any of the great CC buffs they get. So if we get a good boost in PA it’ll be worth the points. Other wise maybe not.

I don’t think it’s worth burning our one warlord trait in Castellan for the 4D.

Did Frag Cannons come down in points as well? They've been mentioned in a couple of places, but weren't listed in this thread.

It's there just hidden between the other changes:

Deathwatch Frag Cannon - 5 to 20

Battlescribe has errors on the equipment, still has Assault Bolters at 2, Priamris Stalkers at 1 and not 0, Normal Bolters still at 1, Combat shields still at 4.

EDIT: Actually I am seeing 10+ errors so far, I think DW was missed. Probably still need to wait a few days.

Edited by Black_Knight

25 Bikers sounds crazy lol!! I've always wanted to make an Inquisitor on a bike even if I couldn't play with it just to make, still plan on it when I find a good way to do it.

Well, you could use Karamazov rules for attack bike with Multi-melta, no? About same size, thought you would need to bulk up height a bit.

GSC have very nice bikes, you can just replace torso with Inquisitor one, add side seat, and call it a day...

Did the assault bolters go up 2 points? It says they are 16 for two in Battlescribe.

Also when did we loose the ability to put Terminators in Drop pods? I missed that one.

Edited by Black_Knight