Blood Angels Stormraven questions

Thalidar

Hi guys,

Just got the Stormraven for Xmas, and as my first BA model want it to be as fluffy as possible, but I have absolutely no idea how to best outfit her out. Is there a preferred or best fluff load out for BA? Nb: I'm not planning to magnetize any bits (On this 1st iteration) so thinking heavy bolters, twin assault canon or is las canon better, along with hurricane bolters.

Also, does anyone know if the Sanguinary Guard travel around in there own Golden Stormraven, or would they use the standard Red scheme? I can't find any info on what they actually use to travel around in and figured they'd make for an interesting scheme. I definitely see a Golden Stormraven on the horizon if I can't find any info'

Cheers

Fluffwise any of the loadouts work. I do however recomend you do go ahead and magnetize it, if I remember correctly the raven is pretty easy to magnetize and is well worth it. For gameplay, Raven's aren't fantastically effecient, but any of the weapons you can choose aren't bad, except for maybe the plasma cannons, as it doesn't normally have a way to reroll 1's for the overheats.

And while I don't think its ever been stated, as Jump Infantry they would either come in on a Raven if they and the character theyre guarding number 6 or less, or jump from a passing thunderhawk like all deep striking jump infantry are said to do. Vehicles aren't painted golden afaik, only transports carrying Death Company are painted differently.

Best way to use the Stormraven is as a gunship. It is too fragile to be a reliable transport. I have had greater success than most by using missiles n lascannon and camping my deployment for the early game using range to protect itself. Every so often i ferry scouts but savvy opponents kill it asap.

All that said paint the sucker gold! She dropped her guard into a cloud before the battle! Make the fluff work for you

Edited by tychobi

I don't think the fluff confirms colors for the golden boys one way or another. Only thing I can think of is that Sanguinius' personal Stormbird was red (but with more ornate details) and not gold or anything drastically different to mark it out (beyond the send finer little touches and extra coat of wax).

Rule of cool for Your Dudes, though I--personally--think a lot of gold vehicles tend to look very Custodes-ish regardless of the faction they are for.

As for loadouts, I have most often used TL Heavy Bolter + TL Assault Cannon + 2x Hurricane Bolters in 8th. Makes for a solid gunboat that can burn a lot of things down through weight of fire (and that was before Doctrines) while still shooting missiles at things. Alternatively, if you go TL Lascannons + Typhoon Missile Launcher and just have it fly circles in your DZ, you can have a decent AT platform with 48" range on everything that is -1 To Hit for the opponent. Not the most efficient of Anti-Tank options, but a decent one in its own right.

I took the heavy bolters and assault cannons in my last game and was pleasantly surprised with how well it handled (didn't make past turn 3 but had the enemy constantly shooting half their army to take it down). The Doctrines really do help it out! I did manage to deliver the Death Company and a Furioso Dread right into their front lines on turn 2

Magnetise if you can, I have 3 storm ravens now and always wish I magnetised back when I was building.

I wont add to the great advice already given in terms of load out, but I will say this.  Tactically, the Stormaven is now a fantastic BA tool.  Many people play it as a gunship, but the cost to damage ratio is a little lacking -unless you're getting a 5++ on it somehow to make it last a little longer.  But, there's more to it now than before. 

With access to Unbridled Ardour (6" Heroic Intervention on any unit), the Raven can be used in a way where you position it that if it dies in the subsequent turn, the occupants can HI a unit that usually wouldnt be charging.  I would consider VanVets for their tanky ability - given the fact A: you're going to likely be shot at still, and B: that since it's not a charge move, you wont be fighting before the unit you charge. 

As has been mentioned here before, this gives you a really good threat bubble with a 3" deploy + 6" HI.  

10 VV with 5 fists and 8 shields will come in at a paltry 211 points and provide you with an exceptional distraction.  If you want to load up on 2 characters like an Ancient for Standard of Sacrifice and someone like Corbs, you're looking at some serious issues for the enemy - leaving the rest of your army unmolested.  (Noting of course that you're investing about 1/4 of your army in that combo. 

This is also said without even having mentioned "Vengeance of the Machine Spirit" which is a great option for a MW bomb (automatic d3 MW for everything in 6" for 2CP). 

The choice of lascannons or assault cannons really comes down to whether you have enough anti-tank in your army already. Both are great options but skip the plasma cannons IMHO.

The Typhoon missile launcher got a price drop in the latest Chapter Approved (now 32 points IIRC) so that really is a tempting option, especially with the Devastator Doctrine on Turn 1.

In general magnets are the way to go. I would always take Hurricane bolters unless you are seriously short on points. The ability to deliver an extra 24 bolter shots (with AP-1 in the Tactical Doctrine) where you need it is great value for the points.

Thanks for the advice guys, picked up some magnets today so gonna go all out on her.

I don't think the fluff confirms colors for the golden boys one way or another. Only thing I can think of is that Sanguinius' personal Stormbird was red (but with more ornate details) and not gold or anything drastically different to mark it out (beyond the send finer little touches and extra coat of wax).

Rule of cool for Your Dudes, though I--personally--think a lot of gold vehicles tend to look very Custodes-ish regardless of the faction they are for.

I'd forgotten about the Custodes. I'm going to go Meph' Red and the Sang Guard colouring as the trim.

Cheers Guys