Halved Sisters Color Scheme?

RolandTHTG

Planning out a order for my sisters army, and I was thinking of doing a halved color scheme (Purple/Bone). 

However, looking online, there don't seem to be any examples of sisters in a Halved or Quartered Scheme. 

Does anyone know a fluff reason for it, or is it just something that hasn't been done/documented for whatever reason? 

I think the reason was more practical than fluff given the design of the metal models.

With those older models the bolter was about 1/3 of the model height and was typically located in the center mass of the model.

Because of that placement you wouldn't be able to see where the 4 corners met, like you typically can with marines.

An additional reason probably had something to do with the location of the robed areas on the models.

The robes for sisters cover the tops of the arms and groin area of the model.

That means that a quartered technique would be paint 1 arm and opposite leg 1 color with a contrasting color applied to the other arm and leg, and each color of the armor is separated with yet another contrasting color (or 2) applied to the robes.

In practice those things mean that the quartered look doesn't look clean and has more of a harlequin pattern feel.

Indeed. I've seen a couple of halved/quartered attempts at sister colour schemes and none of them have worked.

Sisters have got so much detailing between their bling and robes that A) they don't need it and B) it comes off as tacky if you try (with what I've seen at least).

Marines on the other hand are so bland and empty that such colour schemes help to make them more visually interesting.

The Order of Solar Ascendant use halved yellow/black; as seen in my post here.

Of course, whether it’s successful is down to taste, but I think halved schemes can work decently. My suggestion is to keep the colours high contrast - deep purple and pale cream would work well, I should think. A neutral robe colour (deep grey, black or brown) would set them off well and help the halving to ‘read’.

Edited by Apologist

Space marines are big and bulky with lots of massive plates that lend well to that sort of technique.  Sisters models are definitely more slender, and things like arms and weapons tend to obscure the chest area while the power plant takes up a significant portion of the back.  You lose a lot of visuals when trying to halve or quarter.  The plastic ones lend a bit more towards that style, the old metal ones were just a hunk of metal from the boltgun into the chest with little detailing behind, so my suggestion would be: paint one up and see if you like it.  There's nothing in the lore to directly support that paint style, but there is also nothing outright debunking it, so it would definitely fall in the realm of your personal preference.  Paint a quartered and a halved one, see if you like them.

Atrus has a great point, as well, against the thought: the sleeves and cloth will definitely hide a lot of the space that would make halved/quartered sisters stand up.  There's typically very little arm plate space on the models due to sleeves + gloves.

If you do, try, though, heed Apologist's advice and stick with high contrasting colors so the effect stands out a bit more.

And at the end of the day, remember: they're your models, paint them how you want to :)  If you're happy with how they come out, who are we to tell you otherwise?  Even if it wasn't "lore friendly", make your own lore!  Enjoy!

And at the end of the day, remember: they're your models, paint them how you want to :smile.:  If you're happy with how they come out, who are we to tell you otherwise?  Even if it wasn't "lore friendly", make your own lore!  Enjoy!

Would that we all hold to this standard. :biggrin.: