How to use Karamazov?

As mentioned elsewhere, after several years of hobby burnout and not touching 40K at all, I'm finally getting some of my hobby mojo back and looking at finally (FINALLY) finishing my Ordo Hereticus strike force the way it should have always been done. A big chunk of this project will be fluffiness and "rule of cool", but I don't want the force to be completely dysfunctional -- I want to be able to at least put up a fight especially since tournaments (albeit narrative based ones) are my only real opportunity for gaming.

All that said, Inquisitor Karamazov is to be the centrepiece of my army (well, Lord Inquisitor Soulis riding his own Throne of Judgement and using Karamazov's rules anyway).

But I am not sure how to build a force around him.

He counts as a T5 vehicle ... is it best to surround him with vehicles?

Or should I have him accompanied by a foot-borne element (the army will include at least one, if not two, Crusader squads -- I had considered putting them into an immolator, but maybe they go on foot with Soulis/Karamazov)?

Or have bullet-catcher acolytes to give him essentially an extra wound at 8 pts per wound? Should they be solo/character acolytes or groups of 6?

Aside from Soulis, the "meat" of the force will be a Battalion Detachment of Militarum Tempestus Inquisitorial Storm Troopers including some Taurox Primes and a Valkyrie which shall hold at least one squad of Acolytes (my lovingly converted and shockingly effective in past editions squad of 4 plasma gunners plus some belters/storm bolters). There will be 2-3 Penitent Engines  and an Exorcist depending on price in the new Sisters 'dex. 

Karamazov is like a fine win, deeply under appreciated and most useful in specific pairings.

Don’t worry too much about what you sorrow do him by except that he can give them Ld11. Otherwise, treat him as if he were some kind of light dreadnought that wants to fight hordes. On average, he is packing 8 attacks in CC and imposes -1 Ld to enemies. This helps him carve up many units, even more elite ones since his melee attacks are D2.

He is limited by having only a 4+ save, S/T 5, and a one shot gun. This means that he needs support regardless of what you want him to do. Use the buddy system.

I will be fielding my Karamazov with his Penitent Legion- 9 penitent engines,  6 mortifiers, 3 x  9 Arcoflagellants with 3 Preachers driving them to battle, 3 x 9 repentia with 3 superiors driving them. The idea is that Karamazov is sent to judge a Mission that has been behaving suspiciously. He judges these blasphemers, sentencing them to their various forms of repentance and then enlisting those deemed loyal to help him turn the penitent against the cult that spawned their heresies.

REPENT!

libris, the White Dwarf =][= list has a warlord trait that improves the inquisitor's invulnerable save by one, so having 3++ on Karamazov may help ameliorate the weakness you cite (and he would definitely be my warlord because there's no way a Scion Tempestor Prime or a Missionary will outrank my Lord Inquisitor on the field)!

What do you mean by support/the buddy system? Having something similar (like penitent engines which I want anyway) accompany him?

I will be fielding my Karamazov with his Penitent Legion- 9 penitent engines,  6 mortifiers, 3 x  9 Arcoflagellants with 3 Preachers driving them to battle, 3 x 9 repentia with 3 superiors driving them. The idea is that Karamazov is sent to judge a Mission that has been behaving suspiciously. He judges these blasphemers, sentencing them to their various forms of repentance and then enlisting those deemed loyal to help him turn the penitent against the cult that spawned their heresies.

REPENT!

That sounds like a seriously cool and fluffy army. 

What are mortifiers? The shooty version of Penitent Engines? I don't see the new Sisters codex on the GW website so are you working off of some leaked codex?

Also, how are Arcoflagellants in the new codex?

libris, the White Dwarf =][= list has a warlord trait that improves the inquisitor's invulnerable save by one, so having 3++ on Karamazov may help ameliorate the weakness you cite (and he would definitely be my warlord because there's no way a Scion Tempestor Prime or a Missionary will outrank my Lord Inquisitor on the field)!

What do you mean by support/the buddy system? Having something similar (like penitent engines which I want anyway) accompany him?

Sadly, he is trait locked to the trait that enhances his Leadership bubble, otherwise I’d give him the invul boosting one every time.

That is also exactly what I mean by the buddy system. He doesn’t do much well enough to do it alone but works very well with other units that need something more in order to get their job done. Thankfully, he’s relatively cheap now.

I think some vehicle support would be good for him, but with such limited options you can't really do that without looking elsewhere :confused: Sisters would definitely fit the theme with their walkers but with some Stormies already it might be easier to start there?