Faith & Fury FAQ now live!

Assuming that Devout Push works the way it has been hypothesized in this thread, wouldn't that mean that we can guarantee that a unit can get in from Deep Strike, assuming it's 9.000...1 inches away from the enemy? Deep Strike, pile in 3", consolidate 6" and you're in combat directly from Deep Strike bypassing Overwatch.

Possible return of the Thunder Hammer/Storm Shield Terminators with a vengeance? You can splurge a lot of CP on further stratagems (+1 to hit, stopping fallbacks, fight again, and so on) to make the Terminators be a real headache for the enemy.

thats not how it works.

You can immediatly pile in 3" - And just by consolidation you can move 6".

At the start of the fight phase (doesnt matter if you already in close combat or not) you can make a "pile in" move of 3". Later if you choose the unit to fight with you can again pile in the 3" but after the unit fought you can move up to 6" as consolidation.

It means for a consolidation move you must activate to fight which is not automaticly made by "devot push". Its just a pile in move of 3".

Edited by Medjugorje

But it CAN still be used to bypass Overwatch and to pseudo-charge after running assuming you manage to get within 3", right?

yes - correct. But remeber then you havent charged. (means you can attack another unit if you fight twice but not recieve +1 attack). 

My question would be since I don't see it specified in the rules, can a pile in be performed with devout push even if at a deep-strike distance?

Not seeing a rule stating a pile in always has to conclude with a unit touching another one.

The Templar unit would be standing awkwardly in the open, but then gets to consolidate 6 at the end of the round.

My question would be since I don't see it specified in the rules, can a pile in be performed with devout push even if at a deep-strike distance?

Not seeing a rule stating a pile in always has to conclude with a unit touching another one.

The Templar unit would be standing awkwardly in the open, but then gets to consolidate 6 at the end of the round.

look to my post #76.  

You cant consolidate if you don't fight.

Is there anything stopping you from using Devout Push on a unit which charged? Not for the pile in advantage, but to consolidate 6inches.

Nope, you absolutely can! Note that Canticles of Hate gives the same 6" though. 

Oh yeah,

The problem with my recent tactics is that I have a unit of Vanguard deployed alongside the chaplain with canticles and a Marshal with Field Commander.

They all advance together, plus 1 each to advance, then the Vanguard pop the pistols and charge strat with a +3. However, this usually leaves the vanguard out of canticles range after they charge, fight and pile in, as the Chaplain and Marshal can't charge.

You could also consider Devout Push on the Chaplain to get him back in range. Same movement for the Vets, but might leave him in a better position in some cases.

Does Frontline Commander stack with Canticle? I thought Canticle forbids stacking.

Edited by Hymnblade

You could also consider Devout Push on the Chaplain to get him back in range. Same movement for the Vets, but might leave him in a better position in some cases.

Does Frontline Commander stack with Canticle? I thought Canticle forbids stacking.

Oh, you're right, bugger.

I also didn't notice that canticles adds 3" to the pile in as well. That litany is awesome!

Edited by Brother Adelard

Other options include making him a MoS and giving him the litany of aura range or the Crusader Helm, depending on  your list. Though I think an MoS is better served with the Breviary as you want to make sure those litanies go off and it's strictly better than the MoS WLT 

We've been playing an odd little campaign where we were restricted to one relic and one WL trait. I took the Helm on a MoS.

That restriction is gone now however, but still no named characters.

It has really highlighted however just how reliant we are as an army on our relics, traits and characters for full synergy.

We've been playing an odd little campaign where we were restricted to one relic and one WL trait. I took the Helm on a MoS.

That restriction is gone now however, but still no named characters.

It has really highlighted however just how reliant we are as an army on our relics, traits and characters for full synergy.

I think that's what all armies should be about - synergy between numerous elements. It helps sort out the best generals. Unfortunately in the new IH meta these synergies are just OP as they are too easy to stack with no decent restrictions. I've come to the conclusion that I think we as a whole are well balanced. It's just some of the other marine armies aren't, and we still have less stuff (strats and SI wargear).