Some Legion Shoulder Pads "No Longer Available"

m_r_parker

Will chime in that it is equally disengenuous to say 'don't give money to recasters because their quality is worse' for discontinued product.

Because it is not a choice between Recasters and Forgeworld.

It is a choice between having the product (at a possibly lower quality) and having literally NOTHING.

Forgeworld is the one that makes the decision, not us. I have always avoided recasting because I thought it better to pay more and support forgeworld.

But I am getting to the point where accepting 'no, you can't customize your chests', 'no, you can't use other armour marks', 'no, you can't use MKII' and so on just because FW does not feel like and being the one guilted over it is a bit tiring.

Its not our choice, its FW choosing to deny themselves business.

I’m saying that when a product goes out of the Forge World store it’s gone. If you really want it, yes recasters have it, but it’s not a real alternative like a third party car part after your maker stops production. As someone who recasts extensively for personal use there is a lot to be said about this but is against forum rules and off topic, so I’m not going down that rabbit hole. The point is, Forge World is not driving people to buy from recasters because it is not easy to buy from recasters and most 3D printed models look like :cuss or legos. The very few exceptions are exceptions and not the norm.

I’m saying that when a product goes out of the Forge World store it’s gone. If you really want it, yes recasters have it, but it’s not a real alternative like a third party car part after your maker stops production. As someone who recasts extensively for personal use there is a lot to be said about this but is against forum rules and off topic, so I’m not going down that rabbit hole. The point is, Forge World is not driving people to buy from recasters because it is not easy to buy from recasters and most 3D printed models look like :censored: or legos. The very few exceptions are exceptions and not the norm.

It doesn't have to be easy, if you want it you will look into it. Also other communities internationally would know more about it, internet exists etc. Just like the gym, there is always one person who can hook you up. Its a problem FW forcing customers to do this who would otherwise give them legit business in a major problem and their doing. 

I have to disagree with Marshal Rohr, and agree with MegaVolt for -ONE SIMPLE REASON-...

I submit to you all:      This game we play...              however we play it...              is a chess game...            and you can't play without all the pieces...

And I want ALL the frikken pieces! (Rahr):wallbash:

It has way moar pieces than chess, and IMO, playing it shouldn't be decided solely on who has the capital to spend on the newest fancy pieces. Granted, it makes things interesting, because people have to make choices in life, and makes for an interesting game facing something new or unforeseen.

I believe that if its possible to make things available, for even a momentary basis, Forgeworld should make every effort to supply the parts for their game. Thats how they started! Making the parts GW wouldn't take time to supply, on a limited basis. Yes, it drives people to find other options, even undesirable ones, if they want to play...

People who are long time fans of the hobby, stick with their investments and will still spend money to get certain things that get placed on the back-burner at a later date.

@Marshal Rohr

I disagree with you about the quality of both recasters and 3d prints.

Someone got me a plasma Sicaran as a gift for my birthday from a recaster and details etc. are on the same level as the Forgeworld kit i got myself. Its even better than the Stormeagle kit i bought from FW when it was released some years ago.

In regards to 3d printing. They got really good for our hobby. Using a resin printer like an Anycubic Photon gets you parts on the same level as buying from shapeway stores. Downside is you have to invest some time and money to learn 3d printing.

Even witj a cheap Ender 3 you can get decent vehicles. They will need some work after printing but thats the same with normal model preparation.

Personly i would like to buy a Caestus Assault Ram for my fledling IF Legion but its not available so 3d printing will be the way to go if it doesnt come back soon.

I've been keeping an eye on the FW store front for a while, to see what (if anything) has been added to the list of NLA (No Longer Available), and to see if anything else falls under the axe.

A couple of days ago a few items went "Temporarily Out of Stock", which usually indicates an issue with a mould and that the item will return shortly. These items included the Imperial Fist Rhino and Rhino Deimos doors, World Eater Land Raider doors, and the Thousand Sons Khenetai Occult upgrade set. 

The World Eaters Land Raider doors have now gone "No Longer Available". The "Temporarily Out of Stock" list has now also added the old 40k Space Wolf Terminator upgrade set.

On the plus side, the Dark Angel MkIII shoulder pads were previously OOS, but now appear to be back in stock again. My main worry is that the Khenetai have been OOS for a few days now, and unlike the other items are actually the only way to build a specific unit entry. Now that the Space Wolves Terminator upgrades have followed suit, my concern is what other upgrade packs could be on the way out too.

I've been keeping an eye on the FW store front for a while, to see what (if anything) has been added to the list of NLA (No Longer Available), and to see if anything else falls under the axe.

A couple of days ago a few items went "Temporarily Out of Stock", which usually indicates an issue with a mould and that the item will return shortly. These items included the Imperial Fist Rhino and Rhino Deimos doors, World Eater Land Raider doors, and the Thousand Sons Khenetai Occult upgrade set. 

The World Eaters Land Raider doors have now gone "No Longer Available". The "Temporarily Out of Stock" list has now also added the old 40k Space Wolf Terminator upgrade set.

On the plus side, the Dark Angel MkIII shoulder pads were previously OOS, but now appear to be back in stock again. My main worry is that the Khenetai have been OOS for a few days now, and unlike the other items are actually the only way to build a specific unit entry. Now that the Space Wolves Terminator upgrades have followed suit, my concern is what other upgrade packs could be on the way out too.

In the US store the Wolves terminator upgrade kit is still in stock, World Eaters LR doors just don't exist, and DA MkIII pads are still OOS.

Wonder why the discrepancies?

I believe the reason for that is the US based Citadel Cafe / FW store acts as a hub for the region, and has it’s own stock. For the DA pads, since they’ve just come into stock in the UK it’ll take a little while for them to arrive in the US. For the Wolves Terminator upgrades, they must still have stock locally. And as for the WE LR doors, they must have sold their last one a while ago and hence it’s dropped off of the website.

My take on this matter:

Many 30k players where I live (and the 30k communities online I interact with) have taken painting/airbrushing courses from ex-FW employees and their affiliates. They teach the way FW used to paint models (which is a nitty-gritty weathered way were historical modelling methods are applied (OPR, oil pin washing, chipping, pitting, mud & dust effects etc). In these courses often the instructors express a preference of the use of decals for insignias and decoration instead of sculpted ones. Which cause a widespread preference of decals instead of sculpted  shoulder pads and doors. Since a majority of 30k players are very keen and strict into the painting and modelling part of the hobby and many have taken these courses (my impression based on the community) many use decals instead of the sculpted shoulder pads and doors which cause a drop in sales of sculpted shoulder pads and doors but an increase in decal sheets.

So I suspect we will see updates on decal sheets and new releases of the them in parallel of sculpted shoulder pads and doors being discontinued due to drop in sales.

Edited by Imren

I think the other side is there are alot of third party shoulder pads, doors and insignia available to buy or as files to 3d print as much as you want.

Its something thats most time easier and cheaper to get as buying from Forgeworld.

@Imren

Decals are more easily to wheater and incorporate into the realistic paint jobs in myexperience.

My take on this matter:

Many 30k players where I live (and the 30k communities online I interact with) have taken painting/airbrushing courses from ex-FW employees and their affiliates. They teach the way FW used to paint models (which is a nitty-gritty weathered way were historical modelling methods are applied (OPR, oil pin washing, chipping, pitting, mud & dust effects etc). In these courses often the instructors express a preference of the use of decals for insignias and decoration instead of sculpted ones. Which cause a widespread preference of decals instead of sculpted  shoulder pads and doors. Since a majority of 30k players are very keen and strict into the painting and modelling part of the hobby and many have taken these courses (my impression based on the community) many use decals instead of the sculpted shoulder pads and doors which cause a drop in sales of sculpted shoulder pads and doors but an increase in decal sheets.

So I suspect we will see updates on decal sheets and new releases of the them in parallel of sculpted shoulder pads and doors being discontinued due to drop in sales.

Makes sense, I always prefer decals myself where possible. I really like that etched brass though as well. Used some on my IW Spartan + Falchion, sergeants and it looks great IMO. No argument that decals should stick around, though I get why they would cut the etched brass. Brass may come back if they cut the shoulder pads. Decals and brass are hard to work with, so I get the desirability of the shoulder pads. 

Well, my fears around some of the items going Temporarily Out of Stock were simply me being paranoid, as most of these items have now returned to stock and now only the Ultramarine Praetorian Breacher upgrades being TOoS. I'm guessing this was just stock levels going down as people order items before they get discontinued. 

We did lose some other items however, but they are still in the doors and pads categories. I'm going to check the US site and see if there's anything else gone that is still available in the UK (and vice-versa)

Ok, I did some crunching across the two sites (UK v US) and here's what I've spotted that's different across the two in terms of 'Doors and Accessories' and 'Infantry Upgrade Sets' categories.

I think it's safe to assume that the below will disappear, so get them while you still can. Other things may also go, but this is only what I can gather so far.

For those in the UK, the US site does not have the following:

• Blood Angel Land Raider Doors
  • Imperial Fists MkIV Pads
  • Raven Guard MkIV Pads
  • Space Wolf MkIV Pads
  • Ultramarines MkIII Pads
  • Night Lords MkIII Pads
  • World Eaters Rhino Deimos Doors

For those in the US, the UK Site does not have the following:

• Raven Guard Mk III Pads

I will try to keep an eye on things going forward. Also for reference, I'm only including items that are either listed as "No Longer Available" or physically don't exist on the site - I'm assuming any "Temporarily Out of Stock" items will return, so haven't included them in the above items.

The Space Wolves, Ultramarines, World Eaters, Thousand Sons and Word Bearers land raider doors are all now marked no longer available on the US store. I would conclude all LR doors are getting the chopping block, and any remaining will be oop when sold out. The Iron Hands Mars pattern Rhino doors are also no longer available in the US store.

The TS Achaean upgrade set is also marked sold out, as are the SoH MK III pads now. Looks to be all in the doors/pads category still, as the Achaean helmets can still be bought separately as of now.

Only thing outstanding of the lot is the Mars pattern Rhino upgrade being out for IH. Those could possibly be on the way out too.

Edited by WrathOfTheLion

UK side the Alpha Legion Land Raider doors and the Night Lords Mk IV shoulder pads are marked Temporarily out of stock, dunno if this means they are 'gone' gone or what.

I've come to the conclusion that "Temporarily Out Of Stock" is fine, as I've seen others that have been listed as that come back. 

I'm guessing other people are doing what I've done last week - make a big order of various things in case they disappear. 

Ah that would make sense, I was flicking through the Legions earlier and I think that FW are going to cut down the pads to one type per Legion based on the stereotypical armour.

Temporarily out of Stock = Good

No Longer Available Online = BAD

And if it just suddenly disappears with no post of it being 'No Longer Available Online' means..... Something. Possibly a return? :lol: