It's time to ditch the ITC missions. Trust in CA.

Ishagu

Lol the mission reveal was a significant slap in my face.

I don't think anyone was expecting secondaries.

At least GW seems to be approaching the idea with balance in mind to keep the game from running away and ending up lopsided.

I'm kind of hoping with GW hiring the guy who runs Nova to be their global events guy, they will introduce an alternative tournament system. One that theme and hobbying might be a bigger factor in.

ITC can still exist, but I would think that being able to have a format that is more appealing to a decent portion of 40k players that aren't being served by ITC. Heck even if it's just more global campaigns. I do think it is in GW's best interest to encourage some level of competitive play that sticks closer to their own rules.

The mission we have seen so far is similar to NOVA but no surprise with the new GW head of events. They are clearly planning on the missions and objectives playing a bigger part in game balance then in previous editions and it will be interesting to see if the full mission pack includes terrain recommendations or even a fixed terrain map. 

I like what I see so far with this reveal. I'm sure there will be things I don't like but so far so good.

I like everything revealed so far, even some of the ITC stuff that is being implemented along narrative mechanics. The one thing I don't want is the ITC bottom level windows being blocking. I want GW to address the basic issue with terrain in 8th that made that ruling necessary.

Hopefully something more like pre-8th with certain features having fixed cover saves, but probably not quite as good as they were in pre-8th. I wouldn't want a Basilisk sitting in rubble to get a flat 3+ cover with how many wounds it has. I know they teased some of the terrain rules in the top 9 things about 9th video. I just hope it keeps me hyped like most everything else.

I like everything revealed so far, even some of the ITC stuff that is being implemented along narrative mechanics. The one thing I don't want is the ITC bottom level windows being blocking. I want GW to address the basic issue with terrain in 8th that made that ruling necessary.

Hopefully something more like pre-8th with certain features having fixed cover saves, but probably not quite as good as they were in pre-8th. I wouldn't want a Basilisk sitting in rubble to get a flat 3+ cover with how many wounds it has. I know they teased some of the terrain rules in the top 9 things about 9th video. I just hope it keeps me hyped like most everything else.

Well the obscuring keyword is basically GW addressing it.

@Fulkes

I think I missed that article. What does it mean?

I think it was the reveal stream. It's a keyword that means LoS can't be drawn through terrain with it.

Thanks @toaae!

Did they elaborate if they could still target things in the terrain features? Or was it limited to being on the otherside of one?

It sounds like they are taking a page out of 5th edition with not being able to draw LOS through certain pieces of Area Terrain. I just hope it isn't applied too broadly, or too limiting. I can see the value in line of sight blocking terrain so long as it isn't just what terrain does and automatically block out bottom row windows on all ruins.

Thanks @toaae!

Did they elaborate if they could still target things in the terrain features? Or was it limited to being on the otherside of one?

It sounds like they are taking a page out of 5th edition with not being able to draw LOS through certain pieces of Area Terrain. I just hope it isn't applied too broadly, or too limiting. I can see the value in line of sight blocking terrain so long as it isn't just what terrain does and automatically block out bottom row windows on all ruins.

I think that's really all they talked about. Hopefully we'll get one of those streams and posts about it, soon.

The LoS ruling sounded an awful lot like ITC. No drawing a LoS through multiple windows to the tip of an aerial was pretty much the quote and ground floor would obscure or looking at the example block Los on ground floor terrain. It was so close to the ITC reading it triggered a WTC player I know to get more than a bit upset because TLoS was gone and he believes it will create more problems than it solves but it will depend on the wording used and how obscured interacts with shooting.

On a linked subject the reason GW terrain has windows and holes everywhere is the amount of weight the plastic adds for shipping if it was solid. Terrain boxes have way more plastic than figures and shipping costs are by weight with much of the terrain now Chinese manufactured it adds up quickly. They could make it solid but they want to keep the destroyed city theme to draw you into the game as they believe it gives a more realistic gaming table. This is from the GW terrain designer by the way.

The LoS ruling sounded an awful lot like ITC. No drawing a LoS through multiple windows to the tip of an aerial was pretty much the quote and ground floor would obscure or looking at the example block Los on ground floor terrain. It was so close to the ITC reading it triggered a WTC player I know to get more than a bit upset because TLoS was gone and he believes it will create more problems than it solves but it will depend on the wording used and how obscured interacts with shooting.

On a linked subject the reason GW terrain has windows and holes everywhere is the amount of weight the plastic adds for shipping if it was solid. Terrain boxes have way more plastic than figures and shipping costs are by weight with much of the terrain now Chinese manufactured it adds up quickly. They could make it solid but they want to keep the destroyed city theme to draw you into the game as they believe it gives a more realistic gaming table. This is from the GW terrain designer by the way.

Honestly going to more abstract terrain rules would only benefit the hobby more and would make GW terrain more usable. It also allows them to do things with various types of terrain to make it do something more than just +1 to cover.

Not all terrain will be "obscuring" but I can imagine a fair bit will.