White Dwarf "Codex" - Stratagems

I finally sat down and had a serious look at the White Dwarf "Codex" and it seems to me that we have some decent stratagems and relics.

Cyclonic Torpedo - Hefty price. If there are a bunch of units bunched together it could be good, but still seems a bit too expensive. 4 CP for a 50/50 chance of inflicting D3 mortal wounds ... I don't know but the way I roll I can just see myself rolling snake eyes for the range of the strike, and then flubbing the hit. Just seems to expensive for something that's very chance driven.

Seize for Interrogation - For 1 CP this seems pretty good and very fluffy. At minimum you get your CP back even if you roll a 1, with the potential of increasing your CP pool. And army-wide -1 Ld for the enemy is nice. 

Inquisitorial Mandate really jumped out at me. For 1 CP you basically get two warlords (an inquisitor who's not your warlord gets to take a Warlord Trait and a relic), which seems pretty cool. The price seems more than fair to me.

Requisition - for 1 CP you can give a non Acolyte unit quarry for a turn. If nothing else it's kind of fluffy since you can make things like "Inquisitorial Storm Troopers" into, well Inquisitorial Storm troopers re-rolling against the Inquisitor's quarry. Very situational as is the quarry trait, but has the potential to be good in a key scenario. Is it worth 1 CP?

What are my brother inquisitors' thoughts?

Seize for Interrogation and Inquisitorial Mandate are the ones the really stuck out for me. Fluffy and useful, not expensive either - good stuff! The others... well, not so much? Torpedo is a cool hark back to the olden days but feels far too expensive for what you're getting :( Requisition is ok but nothing special or particularly useful.

It's unfortunate that the best Stratagems aren't ones you can fire off regularly but it is what it is with a WD "codex", they aren't going to compete with a full set of Stratagems.

The stratagems in the White Dwarf 'dex are decent, if limited.

Cyclonic Torpedo - Hefty price. If there are a bunch of units bunched together it could be good, but still seems a bit too expensive. 4 CP for a 50/50 chance of inflicting D3 mortal wounds ... I don't know but the way I roll I can just see myself rolling snake eyes for the range of the strike, and then flubbing the hit. Just seems to expensive for something that's very chance driven.

I think that this is the worst of the bunch and the one least likely to be used, baring armies of IG with an added inquisitor. I'm a bit disappointed that this didn't get a 1 CP discount if you've got Karamazov.

Seize for Interrogation - For 1 CP this seems pretty good and very fluffy. At minimum you get your CP back even if you roll a 1, with the potential of increasing your CP pool. And army-wide -1 Ld for the enemy is nice. 

This is better than Cyclonic Torpedo but will probably come up less often, unless you're running a significant amount of inquisition. Still, it is one of those strategems that you'll always use when the opportunity to do so comes up.

Inquisitorial Mandate really jumped out at me. For 1 CP you basically get two warlords (an inquisitor who's not your warlord gets to take a Warlord Trait and a relic), which seems pretty cool. The price seems more than fair to me.

This is the best stratagem, especially for generic inquisitors, Coteaz, and Karamazov. Generics benefit the most because they benefit from the full rules and Coteaz/Karamazov have the best warlord traits. I wish generic inquisitors were better (a 4+/5++ only gets you so far and terminator inquisitors are just worse than the special characters) but this will give them a bit of needed umph.

Requisition - for 1 CP you can give a non Acolyte unit quarry for a turn. If nothing else it's kind of fluffy since you can make things like "Inquisitorial Storm Troopers" into, well Inquisitorial Storm troopers re-rolling against the Inquisitor's quarry. Very situational as is the quarry trait, but has the potential to be good in a key scenario. Is it worth 1 CP?

Like you mentioned, it is situational. Particularly since most things that would want re-rolling 1s already will have a way to do so in their army. I think this will really shine in an army with IG allies, where the order can be retasked to re-roll wounds or FRFSRF if this stratagem can be used to enhance accuracy.

None of them, potentially baring Inquisitorial Mandate, are 5* winners that you'll use every game, but all of them might get used...sometimes. I wish that I could add multiple inquisitors to non-inquisition armies to take full advantage of some of these.

Edited by Nicodemus Doloroso

I agree that Inquisitorial Mandate is the best, and it alone has caused me to re-think my current list and add a second Inquisitor to take advantage. It would also help having a second inquisitor to increase the chances of being able to use Seize for Interrogation.

Also gives me an excuse to model another inquisitor. I may use the Eisenhorn model as a base just because it's a cool model and he's not wearing power armour (all of my existing inquisitors other than the in-progress Karamazov/Soulis are in PA from the good old days).

I love the mandate; I also use A Heroine in the Making for the Chamber Militant Sisters that form the core of the army, so that's 3 WL Traits!

Right now, I can only Inq + Chamber my Hereticus, but I LOVE the No Escape WL trait; it's not so much that I don't want them to escape the Inquisitor, because as mentioned above, not a huge threat. But if you can't fall back from the Inquisitor, you also can't fall back from the Bloody Rose Zephyrim who deep strike and use Miracle dice to autopass the charge and engage the same foe.

I do have the classic Ordo Malleus Terminator, but no Grey Knights... Yet. I just picked up their codex because the PA content will make them decent, and I plan on a small Battalion.

I have no Xenos Inquisitors and no Death Guard, but I want both- again, a small battalion for the chamber. The Corvus Blackstar is an AMAZING model, and I must put an Ordo Xenos Inquisitor in one of those! 

As you can see, I have a real interest in being able to field any Ordo and its chamber, which make Requisition particularly fluffy. Personally, I think that there should just be a rule that all Chamber units gain Quarry when they are fielded with a Warlord of their Ordo [a real warlord, not just am Inquisitor using the mandate]. I'm hoping we get that in an Imperial Agents dex, or in Inquisition PA. The strat, of course, would continue to have utility for non-chamber units.

Also @librisrouge:

My interpretation of the rule is that you CAN take multiple Inquisitors in a non-inq army, as long as you attach no more than one to a single detachment. While I know many will disagree, the rule is written ambiguously enough to support both interpretations. Incase you don't have the WD to hand, here's the exact text:

"If your army does not include any Inquisition detachments, one inquisitor unit may be included in any other detachment..."

The "one" in this sentence modifies Inquisitor, not detachment. The adjective that modifies detachment is "any," which in no way implies a restriction on the number of detachments in which "one Inquisitor may be included." 

Like I said, the more common interpretation IS also supported by the text, so if my opponent is dead set against it, I relent.

Edited by ThePenitentOne

@ Moderati

I'm not sure if this is posted in right section, please remove/move to rules forum if it doesn't fit in here

Inquisitorial Mandate stratagem states that Inquisitor can get "Relic of Inquisition" and I would like to confirm that this is separate from eg. Relics of Baal. Or do all Relics share single pool for an army

Thanks in advance for answer :)

• 1 month later...

Sorry guys, I just got back out of the warp and I'm still gettinf my bearings. Which issue of WD has the mini-dex?

November 2019. Here's the link to buying the digital (assuming you can't find a print copy):

https://www.warhammerdigital.com/White_Dwarf/white-dwarf-november-epub-2019.html

Sorry guys, I just got back out of the warp and I'm still gettinf my bearings. Which issue of WD has the mini-dex?

November 2019. Here's the link to buying the digital (assuming you can't find a print copy):

https://www.warhammerdigital.com/White_Dwarf/white-dwarf-november-epub-2019.html

Thanks, Nic.  I was able to hit Amazon.  (Which is a suprisingly good source of 40k material when your FLGS lets you down.)