New units announced at Las Vegas Open

So hard to get my thoughts in order for this, these new models are weird...I love em 

Admech seems to have gotten pretty quick now:

4 cav units (2 dragoon, dog-cav, horse-cav).....actually do we have the most cavalry options in the game? :teehee:

2 fly units

Infiltrators/Sicarians 

Dunerider

that's ignoring all the FW goodness you can get (Lucius teleport)

I've never started a DKoK army (cost reasons T_T) but those Serberys look like a good base to kitbash some Death Riders

Not sure about the horses or dog riders. Maybe if they just looked like standard skitari I’m not really digging the cowboy vibe.

That said I do like the releases and hope for a bit more like a skitari leader or some heavy infantry.

Surprises keep coming!

The 'calvary' part I don't care for as far as a game mechanic. Playing Chaos I can tell you there are many a game where the opponent simply has to sit on the second floor of ruins to avoid total interaction with me.

But what I've been really peeved with GW about with AdMech is this army really focuses on one phase of the game, and it's super easy to box in a corner (without allies). This got better with the transports, however we desperately needed 'fly'. 

Now we see a few units that will have that magical keyword that Tau get so much mileage out of. The question is: what kind of shooting will they bring?

I see Mars as largely dependent on Cawl's aura. This new direction definitely leans away from that looking for better Ballistic Skill in fast moving units would be a very welcome direction. 

Not sure about the horses or dog riders. Maybe if they just looked like standard skitari I’m not really digging the cowboy vibe.

That said I do like the releases and hope for a bit more like a skitari leader or some heavy infantry.

Surprises keep coming!

There are some surly people in the main rumour thread that despise the new look. 

In honesty I kind of get it. I think of the bizarre concoctions of the Ballistarii and Dragoons and this feels different.

The feeling I am getting is that these new horses are just fast skitarii with the possibility of an extra wound or two, I would think they are pretty much space marine bikers. Our Dragoons are still a harder hitting and definitely more armoured unit. Perhaps the horse units will get some mortal wounds on the charge and the dog variety are a skirmisher unit, getting close to harass.

So the cavalry will be for killing chaff and that leaves our chickens to take on the tanks.

The feeling I am getting is that these new horses are just fast skitarii with the possibility of an extra wound or two, I would think they are pretty much space marine bikers.

Using GSC bikers as comparison: +1W, +1T, same save as non-biker GSC. Given that the steed is a lot bulkier than the light GSC bikes, it might even go more resilient.

"So anyway, I started blastin', and them Heretek boys Yee'd their last Haw,"

Funny how AdMech keep coming up with stuff I never knew I wanted.

They really keep coming up with new Vanguard helmets (That frontfacing crest is weirding me out) while Ranger heads looks the same across every kit. When will we get nightvision googles I wonder.

Sulphurhounds bringing flamer and phospor galore brings something new compared to Vanguards, but the raiders riding around with galvanic rifles seems rather unispiring.

Looking forward to seeing more of the Pteraxii, but weaponry seems underwhelming again. We already have heaps of anti light infantry.

*Subtle sits and cogitates, staring at three vivid blue Onagers in the process of being painted...*

Damn it GW, I've got other projects I want to get going but how can I ignore all of these gifts from the Omnissiah?

*Recalculates estimated time to complete new production queue quota...*

Oh well, a Servitor's work is only truly complete when it ceases to function. It's a better problem than not having enough to do, I suppose.

a sweet conudrum for sure 

for me mars walks i cannt wait to add to my creations and dominate the galaxy(hmm a bit to palpatine there )

the flyer is lovely realy catches the mortal engine vibe 

coolios

Whats worse, is there are so many new kits, will it be in a boxed set. Then you have to deal with all the extra models that entails.

If I have to buy a bunch of daemons to get those models I will be ordering that box while spouting a great deal of scrapcode about having to get rid of them. I'm happy to wait for Jain Zar to be available on her own because my Eldar are firmly on the backburner, my Mechanicus, less so. :)

The way this is heading anyone got any TV shows/films that are iconic where the next inspiration might come from? We already have Dune on the list.

source.gif

Also just realised that new rifle butt has still not been revealed, we might have even more to come oO

Edited by Black_Knight

All those new releases have me once again drooling at the idea of an AdMech army. Any idea what I’d be best converting a bunch of flagellants into? “Counts-as rangers” servitors? Electropriests? Wait for the new FW Index to come out we finally have rules for tech thralls?

I did not know robo-cavalry was what I needed to push me into getting a small AdMech force. I've been thinking of getting a few SoB to go with my planned truescale Grimaldus, but I think now I'll have to go full Imperial Soup and get a Knight plus a few Skitarii to accompany it.

Looks like my Templars are getting some friends.

Genuinely love both - and can totally see these being added to my Ad Mech force. 

Definitely reminiscent in my mind of Gorkamorka Muties - which is great!

I thought of the muties when I saw them too. 

Im still not sold on the flyer or the jump dudes, but thats down to taste on the wings.

The flamer riders are mad though. If theyre fast/cheap but can put out incendine combustors they'll be fun

As a wolves player also, I always hated the TWC models and wished they were mechanised (power armour on a wold is daft). These look over the top but feasable (for 40k anyway!).

But all love is good, looking forward to getting the update and new rules.

I really like the flying infantry, but I'm not sure about the robo-calvary. 

I like how weird the AdMech range is getting, but I also wish they would receive some models/units that are more high-tech looking in addition to the weird steampunk/da Vinci sketch stuff. However, this would probably be rectified by 30k Mechanicum units receiving 40k rules.

I really want them to add a Skitarii Alpha as an HQ. Also, there was mention of some sort of heavy infantry (Haeph-something) in the concept sketches for AdMech if I recall correctly. I'd like to see those.

31323e82.jpg

Space cowboys riding space horsies? Seems pointless for an AdMech army- Sydonian Dragoons and Ironstrider Ballistarii exist- but they could be worth getting for conversion parts. I know my Adepta Sororitas need something similar for Fast Attack.

f3e89a16.jpg

I have issue with the wings because there is little to indicate they will work in environments with very thin air- such as MARS ITSELF- to say nothing of the vacuum of space. (Those... turbines? seem undersized) Why does Games Workshop keep forgetting Warhammer 40,000 is about a SPACE CRUSADE, frequently fought in SPACE and on planets where the atmosphere may be too thin for wings to work in?

While we're at it, wouldn't a grenade or missile launcher loaded with incendiary munitions be more useful than a flamethrower? In addition to being useless in vacuum and in oxygen-poor atmospheres, a flamethrower's short range means the Pteraxii must close with a target- NEGATING much of the mobility his wings grant- in order to use it.

Edited by Bjorn Firewalker

Space cowboys riding space horsies? Seems pointless for an AdMech army- Sydonian Dragoons and Ironstrider Ballistarii exist- but they could be worth getting for conversion parts. I know my Adepta Sororitas need something similar for Fast Attack.

I have issue with the wings because there is little to indicate they will work in environments with very thin air- such as MARS ITSELF- to say nothing of the vacuum of space. (Those... turbines? seem undersized) Why does Games Workshop keep forgetting Warhammer 40,000 is about a SPACE CRUSADE, frequently fought in SPACE and on planets where the atmosphere may be too thin for wings to work in?

While we're at it, wouldn't a grenade or missile launcher loaded with incendiary munitions be more useful than a flamethrower? In addition to being useless in vacuum and in oxygen-poor atmospheres, a flamethrower's short range means the Pteraxii must close with a target- NEGATING much of the mobility his wings grant- in order to use it.

I'm sorry but did you just apply physics and logic to guys with davinci-esque batwings and guys on horses with flamer heads?  It works because ad-mech if you need a reason, science, because they are far more advanced than your puny mind can comprehend do not doubt the great works of mars.

Praise be to the Omnissiah.

Edited by GrinNfool

Dragoons and Ironstriders do exist but I do think there is a place for these new cavalry. You really do not want to be wasting those bigger chickens on chaff, so if these are simply Skitarii Vanguard with a higher movement they can fit.

Warhammer 40k is in space but Skitarii are not going to be deployed out there unless something has gone completely :censored: up. They are used in defending planets and ships. Anything else is usually responded to with space cruisers with a lot bigger guns. The wings will have a use in almost all atmospheres to guide the unit, not necessarily provide lift, even our rockets today have small wings to guide themselves.

With regards to flamethrowers, do not forget the terror factor. They are only useful in very specific situations and very vulnerable but were used in the last world wars just to get people to get out of the hole that they had shored up in. When your entire elite marine fighting force is supposed to be a shock troop force that even had Legions devoted to terror I can see why the flamer is still used by the Imperium when Shock and Awe was their bread and butter. You probably wont always kill the target but you can be sure they will be running from cover to be hit by the guy to your side with the rifle.

I wonder if you could create an oxidising fuel that sustains fire in a vacuum? Some Napalm works underwater and we have flares that do.

Edited by Black_Knight

As a side note - there were special skitarii void clades in the novel "Titandeath". Small craft (I think "omniscintillary tanks") that fly to the surface of larger ships, disgorge troops, then turn into regular tanks for fire support. The skitarii were also prepared for void operations, including explosions - any damaged body parts were sealed off and functions rerouted, so half a skitarii could still fight on. Which might be the case with these guys, since they're mostly mechanical.