Dyed hair for uniformity?

Indefragable

Bit of a subjective question, but curious to get the pulse on this.

It seems that most depictions of SoB have every member of a given Order having the same hair color. If one were cynical, he could say this is due to laziness on GW's painting staff's part. On the other hand, one could look at it as part of the standardization and uniformity of given Orders. Military cultures throughout history have had the same haircuts for the sake of uniformity, pride, and the alignment of oneself to the betterment of the unit as a whole. By that logic, one could say that SoB Orders dictate that every one of their sisters have the same hair color. 

In your opinion, should every battle sister in your army have the same hair color? 

Again, this is a bit subjective so it's a friendly conversation. 

My original SoB army that I stupidly sold years ago, I made them all different skin colors and hair colors and it looked good. However I like the Aesthetics that they all be uniform, I do have varying skin tones but all Gingers (I think ginger hair is sexy) 

xgZNQLY.jpg

Edited by WarriorFish
Do not dodge the swear filter

People in the military have a far more utilitarian reason for having the same haircut. It’s not so much so that everyone looks the same it’s more for ease of maintenance. If your have one of the approved haircuts you are able to roll out of bed and start your day without having to fuss with it, or risk it looking bad unprofessional.

As for your question, it could very well be a uniform thing for sisters. The cut isn’t flattering, and it’s the only cut you see on the models. Having them either dyed or generically altered to all be the same seems like something they would do.

Personal preference in my mind. From what I remember, the white hair was originally used on GW's showcase army, Our Martyred Lady, but I prefer individual hair colours in my army. My Canoness is red haired, for example.

I'm farily sure I've read some fluff about Order of Our Martyred Lady colouring their hair white to pay tribute to their martyred Matriarch Katherine. But I couldn't find it while paging through the codex.

Anyhow, I use that reasoning for my homebrew order to save some painting time and make a more uniform look on the table.

OML does it as an honorific and for symbology. While it is common to see them with white hair, it is also a bit of a badge of honor that is earned.

As far as I know, it is the only order that has that specific characteristic, and others wear whatever hair color is preferred by the sister or order.

I'd say it's whatever you personally prefer.

Sisters of Battle are "more" than just military, they're like a militant monastic order or some might even say a cult. So in that context, all of them dying their hair for uniformity is certainly plausible if you want to do that. Back when I had a sisters army I did that although this was mostly because I just liked the uniform look (I didn't put more thought into it than that at the time) and then did Celestians with platinum blonde/white hair as a way to easily distinguish them on the battlefield (I also used purple instead of red on the Celestians' robes).

On the other hand if you want to have a mix of hair, this certainly can have a striking look as well. GW now gives you the option to even have some more hair variety with the shaved heads (and I'm not sure if there are other hair options). so they don't all have to have bob cuts.

I do a mix of hair colours.  The armour colour scheme keeps the ladies looking uniform enough, having a mix of hair colours just helps to break it up a bit, add some spot colours and stop similar sculpts from all looking the same on the tabletop.  I keep mine fairly natural though, mix of blondes, some reds, various shades of brunette, some black.

Always disliked the older GW white haired ladies.