Today in Kill Team I.....

Axineton

Today in Kill Team, I played a Kommando vs Kommando game with a friend.

It was his first game of the new edition and my fourth. I have to say I’m enjoying the new edition. We just played the Open Play mission with no equipment, tac Ops or ploys, to make it an easier introductory experience.

I ended up getting a kill with my Slasha Boy’s throwing knife on the opposing Rokkit Boy on a vantage point, which felt pretty thematic.

Has anyone else been getting games in?

Dallo

Has anyone else been getting games in?

It wasn't today, but I got two games in with my group last Friday, plus also set up a couple of models to show the group how the rules worked.

The first game was an intro game for my opponent, using the full Matched Play rules (he's pretty switched on so I felt comfortable throwing him in the deep end). He had a squad of Infiltrators against my Traitors (2x3 CSM) - and they absolutely demolished me. Lethal 5+ on a shooting weapon is nuts, especially when the dice are hot. The VPs were pretty close up until the end, but I simply couldn't keep up with his damage output.

The second game was a 2v1 since we had uneven numbers, with my opponents sharing a Necron kill team (Deathmarks and Immortals) against my CSM. My Champion and Melta accounted for most of the kills, while picking Security tac ops against such a slow enemy team really helped rack up the VPs. 

Overall, I'm loving the dynamic nature of KT21. The situation changes quickly, and there is some real skill in forcing your opponent to react to one threat before springing a trap elsewhere. It's also very much worth studying the tac ops that are available to you and working out which ones work best for your team in different situations. And take advantage of the built-in sideboard system! I've been using the same "TAC" CSM team each time, but that's mainly because those are what I have painted; if you have the models, it's absolutely worth having some loadout variations available in your roster to react to the battlefield and opponent.

Also not today, but last night I finally started putting together some terrain specifically for KT, after spending the past couple of months clipping sprues and shaving off mould lines. It's so satisfying!

Been enjoying the new edition as well, tried out Death Guard and Tyranids so far. Got inspired to start a pre-Unification technobarbarian witch coven for funsies as a side project (counts as Warpcoven TSons).

There were a bunch of kinks to be ironed out as we got our heads around various interactions in the system, but after a handful of games we started testing the SpecOps system. It feels nice and light for quick games thus far and gives a fun skeleton for some narrative brainstorming as to why there's so many bloody space pirates and bugs roaming around XIV's research facilities :D

I've been soloing a narrative Deathwatch campaign for myself and I have to say this is a great rule set.  There is a fair amount of detail to the narrative structure and customization options, and they did a good job of centralizing where to find info (well, the online PDF that organizes all the factions into 2 page summaries sure does).

Bottom line is that the combat system feels great.  Upping the amount of dice rolled for each attack/shot rather than modifying for a single hit/miss roll feels so much better, and also feels more thematic, like you're really blasting a hail at each other and exchanging tons of blows/parries in combat.  And the engage/conceal system works well. 

Today I will be starting a narrative campaign with our local group. There'll be seven players, including myself.

To help encourage players to participate in the narrative side of things, I bought one of these packs of pins and will be giving them out to anyone who has completely filled out their Dataslate and unit Datacards (including operative names and kill team background etc.):

https://thekoyostore.com/collections/warhammer-40000/products/warhammer-40-000-mystery-faction-pins-12-pack

The campaign will consist of three phases. Winning a battle and completing Spec Ops objectives will contribute to winning one phase, and the alliance that wins the most phases wins the campaign. The last phase will have some bonus points available, so every team will have an opportunity to win even if they fall behind.

I'm very much looking forward to the Spec Ops system. Should be fun!

Well, that's just wonderful. First battle and I already have one fatality in my team. Great start!

We began our campaign on Friday. The story is that an Imperial hive city has been noninally occupied by an invading Chaos force, which has taken hold of the city's manufacturing and defence districts, while the Imperial resistance forces have scattered and now wage a guerilla war against the invaders. Imperial reinforcements are coming, however the resistance forces need to do everything they can to keep the occupiers distracted and maybe take out a few important assets to make the reconquest easier.

The campaign lasts three phases, each going for 3-4 weeks. Phases are won by an alliance by counting victories and completed Spec Ops, with bonuses for completing a Spec Ops in the same phase in which it started.

My CSM band are the remnants of a larger warband that was almost wiped out during the initial invasion, and so stalk the district to hunt down all resistance forces (Purge Order spec op). None of them like each other, but they begrudgingly work together knowing that the rest of their brothers are likely dead.

First battle was against an Intercessor team sent to secure a base of operations ahead of the reclamation force. They were pushed back by the traitors, but not at significant cost: out of four casualties, one was killed outright, and now my meltagunner has a bung leg. I didn't even get to advance my spec ops!

Second battle was against a Grey Knight team sent to sanctify the district and prevent daemonic incurion. A comedy of errors by the traitors, combined with the absolutely punishing capabilities of the Grey Knights, sent me reeling. At least this time I didn't suffer any casualties and was able to advance my spec ops.

The rest of the battles were equally mixed - the resistance won two fights, the invaders won two fights, and there was one dead-even draw.

TIKT

I played a game using a kill team arena board. It was easier to play when there was no vantage point. The los was easy to determine.

Overall, a fun game and fsst game. It gave me ideas on how models could interact with doors.

gallery_51734_16509_199534.jpg

Edited by Mechanicus_Adept

• 2 weeks later...