5th Company Raven Guard

Jaipii

Greetings fellow battle-brothers up at the Ravenspire. I have returned to the hobby after wandering for the 15 years (or at least it feels like it) around the Eye of Terror. Last time around it was the 3rd/4th edition and apparently a lot of things have changed since then. I finally took my chance to build a Space Marines force and for that I really only had a one real option. This:

RavenCommander

This is what really got me back in the days as I have always had a thing on jump troops (my previous army was a Battlesuit-heavy Tau). And honestly what is cooler than a pair of lightning claws suddenly crackling out of the dark sky and knowing it will be the last thing you see.

Unfortunately for the lightning claws, the current meta doesn't really favour them? Nevertheless I am going to have at least a few models kitted with them. I am building a shooty and up-close 5th Company force of Raven Guard.

I have built up my force from November 2019 after participating at the Essen Spiel 2019 game fair in Germany. Almost everything is still unpainted, but my force will include Infiltrators, Eliminators and Suppressors (from the Vanguard boxed set), Aggressors (one box), Devastator Centurions (one box), Vanguard Veterans with Jump Packs (one box), Scouts (one box), Primaris Lieutenant and a Captain with Jump Pack (going to be converted from FW Captain Korvydae).

This is what I have painted so far. I started from some easy-to-build Primaris Intercessors trying to find out how to paint black Power Armour.

Intercessor

My first guy painted somewhere in November (actually the first one was painted 10/2019 at the Essen Spiel, no pictures though). Some small details and transfers missing.

Veteran Intercessor

Second guy painted in December 2019. Painting smooth surfaces in white is DIFFICULT. I Have to be more patient and use even more thinner layers. Some small details and transfers missing.

Intercessor Sergeant

My third painted model is my Intercessor Sergeant. I really like how he his Power Armour turned out. I want to use this kind of paint scheme with my character and sergeant models so that they will stand out from the rank. Painting skin for the first time. Trying to improve with the next one :smile.: Also some small details and transfers missing.

At the moment I am working with these guys. I really like this Lieutenant model. I bought it from the Games Workshop stand at the Essen spiel game fair (the model is Lieutenant Amulius). I have given him a Forge World shoulder pad and a stalker bolt rifle so he fits better to the Raven Guard force and can be given the Ex Tenebris -relic.

Lieutenant Primaris with Ex Tenebris

Next up is Sergeant Beaky, an Aggressor sergeant with the MkVI helmet and a XIX legion shoulder pad from Forge World. A really nice model in my opinion.

Aggressor Sergeant Wip

I will want to update my project here. The pictures so far have been taken with my phone and under pretty poor lighting. I do have a proper camera and will try to get some finer shots down the road :wink:
Please feel free to comment the army and models. What units would you see fitting for a hard-hitting 5h Company strike force? Painting tips are also much appreciated. Painting white pieces of Power armour; Painting leather (brown and black); Painting pale skin; Painting bolters etc. Thanks!

Nice job on the sarge's aquilla.  It has the pop!

Best thing for painting white is not to paint white.  Use light greys and only use white for the final extreme highlights.

Celestra grey is pretty good.  It has a slight green hue to it but feels somewhat cold.   You can edge highlight Celestra grey using offwhites or even pure white if you want a really stark highlight.

For brown I've been using doombull brown over a rhinox base, washing it with nuln oil then edge highlighting it with skrag brown.  Gives a reasonable red leather appearance.

Here is a practice model I did recently.  It is airbrushed obviously so not quite a good example of white but the principles are the same.  There is no pure white anywhere on this model except on the sharpest edges.

edit: photo removed.  This thread is a Jaipii joint.

Edited by SanguinaryGuardsman

Thanks for the comment and pro tips!

For the white Aquila I used a mechanicus standard grey undercoat, Ulthuan grey basecoat, Nuln oil for shading and white scar for final highlights.

Would you use any shade for the Celestra grey base before highlighting with off-white/pure-white? In regards to painting power armour.

For the brown leather you are using rhinox hide for undercoat and then all-over with doombull brown? I will try to use rhinox hide, mournfang brown, nuln oil shade and finally highlight with gorthor brown. Let's see how it works out!

Welcome aboard! RG are apparently kicking but this edition when it comes to Marine chapters so good choice. Although we're really the only choice regardless ;)

Beaky aggressors! Brilliant I might have to contemplate that in future too!

Like Sang said don't paint white the GW suggestion of ulthuan over celestial with white scar highlighting works really well and is super easy (coming from simone who used to attempt white scar over ceramite :facepalm: )

Example of GW technique here:

He's now finished!

gallery_87434_12256_229634.jpg

Actually I'd argue lightening claws are great this edition for cleaning chaff and power armour -2 ap is super helpful plus you get an extra attack and rerolls! Best mix up squads with a few other options too. My next tournament list I'm taking 6 VVs (don't have the points for 7 :( )

Vanguard Veteran Squad: Jump Pack

Space Marine Veteran: 2x Lightning Claw

Space Marine Veteran: Power sword, Storm shield

Space Marine Veteran: Bolt pistol, Power fist

Space Marine Veteran: 2x Lightning Claw

Space Marine Veteran: Power sword, Storm shield

Veteran Sergeant: Storm shield, Thunder hammer

Can't wait to see more!

Thanks for the comment and pro tips!

For the white Aquila I used a mechanicus standard grey undercoat, Ulthuan grey basecoat, Nuln oil for shading and white scar for final highlights.

Would you use any shade for the Celestra grey base before highlighting with off-white/pure-white? In regards to painting power armour.

For the brown leather you are using rhinox hide for undercoat and then all-over with doombull brown? I will try to use rhinox hide, mournfang brown, nuln oil shade and finally highlight with gorthor brown. Let's see how it works out!

I think I used rhinox+doombull 50/50... then nuln oil... then skrag for the edges.  

On my raven guard Im using rhinox. nuln oil wash, doombull for the edges.  

For celestral grey I mostly shade using nuln oil with a really tiny brush to pin wash.  

Beaky aggressors! Brilliant I might have to contemplate that in future too!

Geez duz, get with the program. I've been doing that ever since I realized they fit inside the gorget.

On painting white:

I've found that Corax White (in a pot) is the only white that GW has ever made that doesn't go on chalky as a base. I thinned my whole pot down with Lahmian Medium and it goes on beautifully.

Thanks for the painting tips. I will try to make some progress with the lieutenant this weekend and get some pictures. Meanwhile this is my take for a 1000 points list I could build from the kits I have. I am only missing some Intercessor models and a big (not quick) paint job :D

++ Battalion Detachment +5CP (Imperium - Space Marines) [56 PL, 6CP, 1,000pts] ++

+ No Force Org Slot +

**Chapter Selection**: Raven Guard

Battle-forged CP [3CP]

Detachment CP [5CP]

Relics of the Chapter [-1CP]: Number of extra Relics

+ HQ +

Captain [6 PL, -1CP, 102pts]: Bolt pistol, Jump Pack, Master of Ambush, Power fist, Stratagem: Master of the Trifold Path, The Armor of Shadows, The Imperium's Sword, Warlord

Primaris Lieutenants [4 PL, 70pts]

. Primaris Lieutenant: Ex Tenebris, Master-crafted stalker bolt rifle

+ Troops +

Infiltrator Squad [5 PL, 110pts]: 4x Infiltrator, Infiltrator Sergeant

Intercessor Squad [5 PL, 89pts]: Bolt rifle

. 4x Intercessor

. Intercessor Sergeant: Power sword

Intercessor Squad [5 PL, 86pts]: Auxiliary Grenade Launcher, Bolt rifle

. 4x Intercessor

. Intercessor Sergeant

Scout Squad [4 PL, 55pts]

. Scout Sergeant: Bolt pistol, Boltgun

. 4x Scout w/Boltgun

+ Elites +

Aggressor Squad [5 PL, 111pts]: 2x Aggressor, Aggressor Sergeant

. Auto Boltstorm Gauntlets/Fragstorm Grenade Launcher

Vanguard Veteran Squad [6 PL, 95pts]

. Space Marine Veteran: Bolt Pistol & Chainsword, Storm shield

. Space Marine Veteran: Bolt Pistol & Chainsword, Storm shield

. Space Marine Veteran: Bolt Pistol & Chainsword, 2x Lightning Claw

. Space Marine Veteran: Bolt Pistol & Chainsword

. Veteran Sergeant: Bolt Pistol & Chainsword, Power fist, Storm shield

+ Heavy Support +

Centurion Devastator Squad [12 PL, 210pts]

. Centurion: Grav-cannon and grav-amp, Hurricane bolter

. Centurion: Grav-cannon and grav-amp, Hurricane bolter

. Centurion Sergeant: Grav-cannon and grav-amp, Hurricane bolter

Eliminator Squad [4 PL, 72pts]

. Eliminator Sergeant: Bolt sniper rifle, Camo cloak

. 2x Eliminator with Bolt Sniper: 2x Bolt sniper rifle, 2x Camo cloak

++ Total: [56 PL, 6CP, 1,000pts] ++

Created with BattleScribe

Ps.

Finally we have some snow in the southern part of Finland. These snowy nights make me think of wanting to base my Ravens on a snowy surface. I might have to turn to the sons of Russ for tips on this? ;)

My only real suggestion is don’t go with minimum size units. Even at a 1000 points marines arent all that durable. Beef up any squad you can to 5 + Edited by Dracos

My only real suggestion is don’t go with minimum size units. Even at a 1000 points marines arent all that durable. Beef up any squad you can to 5 +

Thanks! I could drop either the infiltrators or Scouts. I would then still have the battalion Command Points and either 110pts or 55pts to spare. With 110pts I could beef up my Intercessor squads to 7 and add jump packs to the VanVets and get the squad to 6 with one additional SS&CS and one more Power Fist.

Dropping the scouts would give me only 3 more Intercessors and a couple of Storm Shields.

Are these models you have or are planning for purchase?

I ask because I strongly suggest increasing the Aggressors to a 5 man squad. 3 man Aggressor squads are dangerous enough to be one of your opponents two primary targets. They however still are very killable especially when facing lost designed to knock out Tanks and Knights they’ll get hit right at the get to. More bodies will mean that even if 2 die the other three are going to hurt somebody bad. I’d suggest the same for the Centurions but I think that unit it going to have changes forced on it in the near future so I’d hold on that.

5 man Infiltrator (I prefer Incursors because of cost but both depend heavy on the meta imo) and Intercessor squad will work fine unless you have a specific plan to use stratagems on them. Jump packs on the Vets definitely worth the cost.

Eventually you’ll want to use a Chaplain with those Aggressors or Centurions. I know some don’t like having to roll for Litanies but Chappies are in a real strong place right now.

Edited by Dracos

Thanks Dracos! These are the models I have at the moment with the exception of the Intercessors (only 3 models atm). Thanks for the insight. I will be getting some more Aggressors and Centurions later. Hopefully they won't touch the Devastator versions that much. Chaplain is on my list when I will go over 1000pts.

• 2 months later...

Hi! Long time with no updates. I've had a quite a lot of going on for the past two months (last but not least; moving together with my partner). These pics are from a few weeks ago before the corona-crisis and our packing up the miniatures.

Lieutenant with the Ex Tenebris:

med_gallery_197938_16174_1002636.jpg

med_gallery_197938_16174_787484.jpg

med_gallery_197938_16174_293767.jpg

med_gallery_197938_16174_256503.jpg

med_gallery_197938_16174_1107889.jpg

The Lieutenebris has been a subject for my learning process on different painting techniques. I'm really happy how he's turned out and seeing my skill go up so quickly. Youtube tutorials, browsing pictures on google, Pinterest etc. and the tips I've received here have been super beneficial (good paints and a brush go a long way too :rolleyes: ).

As a teaser I have a picture from my coming Chapter/Company Champion // Captain (for small pts games) conversion. Next up to be painted though are Aggressors I've previewed here earlier. After that there will be some troops also in the form of infiltrators! :Troops: :sweat:

gallery_197938_16113_111211.png

Sweet models. Love the chest and head pieces on the Champion

Suggestion: Use a white paper as a background for your pics. It'll do them justice. I see some work there that's going to Pop out if you do. I usually just use couple pieces of printer paper and my modelling light. Outdoor light always looks better in my opinion but its still chilly here in Indiana ;)

Keep up the work man looking forward to seeing those Aggressors.

Looks great

Can't wait to see the champion painted up! Did you kit bash him yourself?

Thanks!

Yes, he's bashed together from Primaris (GW) and Forgeworld Raven Guard bits. I had this idea in my mind of the Champion appearing from the shadows (Sfts rules-wise :happy.:) running towards his target and challenging his opponent/naming his kill. So more like a "I am the last thing you will see" than just back-stabbing a character/other worhy oppponents.

Suggestion: Use a white paper as a background for your pics. It'll do them justice. I see some work there that's going to Pop out if you do. I usually just use couple pieces of printer paper and my modelling light. Outdoor light always looks better in my opinion but its still chilly here in Indiana :wink:

Thanks! I will try that. I haven't really had the light nor the space to take good pictures yet, but in the new apartment I will have dedicated hobby desk (as soon as I unpack the stuff that's taking it's place now). I also have a balcony now so maybe some outdoor shoots as it gets warmer here in Helsinki, Finland :wink:

Sweet models. Love the chest and head pieces on the Champion

Love the champion.

Out of interest, what parts were used, I am getting ideas.

The Raven Guard Champion (bits) have been taken from a couple of different sprues. I have ordered some stuff online and some are just ordinary kits from my local shop. The more rare stuff are the sword hand and the base.

Legs and Chest: Shadow captain Kovydae (ForgeWorld)

https://www.forgeworld.co.uk/en-FI/Raven-Guard-Shadow-Captain-Korvydae

Studded shoulder pad and the Backpack: Raven Guard upgrade pack (ForgeWorld)

https://www.forgeworld.co.uk/en-FI/Raven-Guard-Space-Marines-Upgrade-Pack

Head: Raven Guard Primaris upgrade sprue (GW)

Pointing arm: Dark Angels Primaris upgrade sprue (GW) (I accidentally bought a Dark Angels Aggressor kit from my local store so it included some Dark Angels bits)

Sword arm: Primaris Lieutenant Amulius (GW) (This is the original hand from my Lieutenant model, bought him from the Essen Spiel 2019 games fair)

Base: Bought it from some third party manufacturer at the Essen Spiel games fair.

I had really fun putting him together :happy.:

Base: Bought it from some third party manufacturer at the Essen Spiel games fair.

I had really fun putting him together :happy.:

Edit: Found the model from which the base was from. I bought it originally for the claws and wings :)

https://hitechminiatures.com/archangels/55-ophiel.html