Adeptus Titanicus: convince me to play

BolterZorro

Hi

New starter set with core of units played at an affordable price. But I don't know what to think about the game: is it good? is it fluid  and tactic or just bucket of dice to launch during an evening? I am hesitating to start. Main issues: learning an additional game and finding players . Will I like the game?

Best way to know: ask the player: try to "sell" me this game.

(Player of AoS and 40K, former WHFB, and most important EPIC back in the days (which was and still is for me the best GW game ever...It is also the reason that I didn't get into AT in the first place, because it was not Epic and didn't incude the tanks/infantry dreads. Now I know it is not the same game and I got the idea.))

I'm still starting out in my Adeptus Titanicus career but from the experience I've had it flows fairly well. You're only dealing with a handful of models so the complexity isn't the issue other games might get.

And big stompy, shooty robots? What convincing does one need ;)

Once you get up to multiple Titans and throw in scenery, it's pretty tactical. Alternate activations in every phase means it's very easy to screw up your order of operations and block off where a Titan was going to walk with another Titan. Porphyrions aside, it's also pretty well balanced.

However, my main selling point is from a bit of a different angle. When I demo, I do no scenery, one Warlord each. Both Warlords are equipped with two volcano cannons and apocalypse missile launchers. Despite the fact we literally stand there and shoot each other with little to no movement, it's still an engaging game.. I've done this nearly ten times now, and every single person has enjoyed the demo.

It's my favourite GW game right now, although I don't get to play all that often so I'm not using the higher level rules (like Legios and stratagems) all that much as people tend to be using my stuff. I'm hoping a couple more of my friends bite the hook and get into it, but that requires GW to shut off the 40K hosepipe for a couple of months because they keep bring out other things people want.

Dragonlover

Thx guys. Is it long to learn? compared to , say, 40k? 

I plan to build 2 core armies to start annd let people play with some of my minis. I'm aiming at 2 new starter sets + 1 battleforce (with all the mini knights). It is a reasonable budget but get me 2 armies.

What are the list examples? how many miniatures are in typical 1500 pts games?

I love this game! The rules are fine to pick up, it can look a little involved with odd dice, terminals and other peripherals, but it all makes sense after a couple of turns; you're going to get some bits wrong or forget stuff here and there to begin with as with any new game. We started playing just using the 'basic' rules but quickly found the advanced rules added a lot, didn't take much more to learn, and didn't really need the division.

Maniple rules and strategems I'd say would be advanced and can wait, but more because you'll forget about them in your first few games with stuff going on.

Amount of miniatures varies depending on your maniple ("detachment") requirements and  weapons loadout. But 1500 could be one axiom maniple of: warlord,a reaver, two warhounds and two cerastus knights for example. Or maybe a Myrmidon maniple of: a reaver, two warlords and some questoris.

Edited by Gore Crow

Titanicus is my favourite GW game right now by far. I’d definitely recommend getting the new starter. It’s nicely set up for an intro game with a reaver and warhound on each side. That’s just about perfect for learning the game, and a great foundation for a proper army. Add a warlord (plus maybe some resin weapons from FW) and you’ve got a 1750 point battlegroup built around an Axiom maniple, which is the standard maniple the Legios use (according to the fluff at least).

The gameplay is quite detailed or “crunchy”. Instead of models just having a set number of wounds they have void shields and a series of locations. Do enough damage to one location and the titan stops working because it’s got only only one leg, no driver, and/or it has temporarily transformed into a miniature sun. Weapons have fire arcs, titans are easier to hurt on the sides and rear and turns are limited, so there’s a lot to think about when you’re moving.

So it’s a very movement-based game, not about gunlines slogging it out. This wasn’t obvious when the game first came out, because the Grand Master Edition (GME) just gave you warlords (which are slow anyway) with the most static load-out possible. Almost everyone’s collection started with these two artillery piece warlords so early batreps are a bit boring – often ending when one of the warlords overloads its reactor trying to power its massive guns and explodes.

But over time people have expanded their collections to include more Reavers, Warhounds and knights, as well as closer-ranged weapons for Warlords, so there’s a lot more running about. If you start playing now you have the benefit of not having to endure the Bellicosa wars of 2018. All the titans now have all their weapons there are currently rules for available to buy.

I don’t know if I’d recommend the GME now. It remains a sort of ok way to get hold of warlords, knights and terrain, but it’s far from a must have. If you come across one going cheap then go for it. The new starter is far better. It gives you roughly the same points worth of titans, with more useful weapon load-outs, for about half the price of the GME. If you do get the GME you’ll also need a bunch of magnets (you need these anyway), the plasma sprue and some resin guns to get the most out of those warlords, which adds to the cost.

Warlords have different loadouts, If you get the Plasma and Power Fist one you could buy the other weapon sprue to give you the options of Missiles and Volcano Cannons too.

If you are UK based you could get a Plasma Warlord for about £50 and the Sprue for £26.

The starter set is great value and adding a Warlord would give you a full Axiom Maniple. Which is 1 Warlord, 2 Reavers and 2 Warhounds. (Warlord, 1 Reaver and 1 Warhound is mandatory)

• Relatively inexpensive by GW standards
  • Models are gorgeous, easily magnetisable, and gives those of us not willing to sell our souls/organs/firstborn children a chance to play around with Titans
  • Low model count facilitates a quick conversion from sprues to painted tabletop force
  • Rules are more complicated than 40k but nevertheless but rewarding and easy to learn, with the rulebook being written with a transition in mind (so new players can add in more complicated rules as they learn). A far better game than virtually everything GW puts out today

Do it. Do iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit

Where are the rules (in which book) about the knights based lists (lance? dunno)

Those rules are in the "Doom of Molech" expansion.

It's worth noting, though, that while Knights are definitely cool and can be very handy to have around, they do sort of break the core rules a bit. All-knight armies even more so. If you're just learning the game, I would suggest sticking to the big bots and maybe adding a couple of knights per side for now. Which, incidentally, is exactly what you get in the new starter (part of the reason its such a good set, aside from the price point). Up-thread, you mentioned that you were aiming to pick up a couple of starter sets and the knight battleforce and sharing with friends so you have a built-in player base. Good idea! But honestly, I'd just do the two starters and then spend the $130 you were going drop on the Knights on either a couple more titans, the expansion books, or some combination thereof. If you decided on more titans, you could get two more Reavers, or two boxes of Warhounds, or one of each - any of these combinations would allow you to form some great light maniples like the Corsair or Lupercal. 

That said, your mileage may vary, and if the Knights are what attracts you to the game, by all means dive in with them!

I made this discussion not only for me but as generic as possible to let people know how is actually AT and benefit from this thread, plus decide what to start with...

But honestly, I'd just do the two starters and then spend the $130 you were going drop on the Knights on either a couple more titans, the expansion books, or some combination thereof. If you decided on more titans, you could get two more Reavers, or two boxes of Warhounds, or one of each - any of these combinations would allow you to form some great light maniples like the Corsair or Lupercal. 

That said, your mileage may vary, and if the Knights are what attracts you to the game, by all means dive in with them!

There is a new Titan also without any doc in the rules (BTW, it can hold the reaver weapons) . TBH, I am a bit lost here.  And even more after seeing the news today (new FW psy warlords etc...)

Edited by BolterZorro

I wouldn't worry about the Warbringer Nemesis Titans or Psi-Titans just yet. Those are "DLC" Titans and I'd recommend starting collecting and playing with the "core" Titans (i.e. Warhound, Reaver, Warlord) with a few Knights in support, as was suggested above, before moving on to the more esoteric all-Knight armies, new Titan patterns, etc. once you've gotten a hang of the game and figured out where you want to take your force.

Wellll between this thread and now Audax, Ive been convinced haha

What do you mean "Audax"?

Legio Audax - Ember Wolves a Titan Legion wholly made up of Warhound Class Titans.. Made famous by the novel Betrayer... One weapon is always a Claw/Harpoon designed to hunt larger prey.

Here's what does it for me: 

Rules: The whole mechanics of the game is very different from the usual 40k experience. It's not the alternate turns (that is great to keep the suspense and the second guessing going) but also the survivability of the models. In AT removal of Titans from the table (even a Warhound which is the smaller currently) is a big event and the sense of achievement is much higher than removing the odd figure from an AoS game. And better yet there is a resource management element - how you manage the power of the reactors and how you conduct repairs that literally put you in the position of a Princeps.

Models: That is subjective of course, but I think the small-scale Titans is a total success from GW! And with the various Legio rules/paint schemes/decals there is enough to excite anyone's imagination! Lovely, lovely models...

Support: With the new book recently announced, we already have three expansions that give more modelling opportunities and variations on tactics, scenarios and special rules. This makes for a lively game that will not bore anytime soon. And there is the long-expected Nemesis Titan, so the support extends to models, be they Titans, Knights (the Acastus was a nice addition) and scenery. 

Setting: The Heresy setting, apart from being awesome in its own right, offers a number of opportunities for Psi-Titans, Possessed Titans, weird weaponry that could be extinct in the 41st millennium or you can play a completely even game... 

Also we have a fantastic community here in B&C with lot's of creativity and feedback - so you will not be on your own! :)

Also we have a fantastic community here in B&C with lot's of creativity and feedback - so you will not be on your own! :smile.:

I'm not worried about community but by the lack of players around me...But I think that the new Starter set will change that a bit. Also, the miniature range is being wider with the new introduction of GW titans and FW ones (plus all the weapons sprues of both FW & GW). 

In addition to this, there seem to be an argument: the game is balanced because everyone has access to the same things. (A contrario, people could say there is only ONE army :teehee:  )

FW Titans? What? Are you going to play AT with 40k-sized Titans? :laugh.:

I get what you're saying about everyone getting "the same things" but there are a lot of Legio by Legio variations - and I'm sure things will become more differentiated going forward. Although there is nothing official (to my knowledge) there will undoubtfully be some possessed machines or Legio (or Faction) specific wargear... 

We'll see. I sure hope AT takes off in your area. :smile.:

EDIT: in a way, the entire HH game (the 40k-sized one) can be tough of having the same stuff for both sides. It's the nature of the Heresy - it's a civil war between the SM Legions. Yet, the special units and the special rules, sort of negate that. 

Wellll between this thread and now Audax, Ive been convinced haha

What do you mean "Audax"?

Legio Audax - Ember Wolves a Titan Legion wholly made up of Warhound Class Titans.. Made famous by the novel Betrayer... One weapon is always a Claw/Harpoon designed to hunt larger prey.
Rules just in time for me, I have 7 Warhounds for an Audax list!