Reaver Faceplates

Black Knight

A bit of a stupid question but all the faceplates on the upgrade sprue are for both loyalist and traitor aren't they?

I wanted to use the one with the chin tusks but a few people have told me that its for traitors only, I don't think it looks that bad on a loyalist. Just wanted peoples views.

Those people are flat out wrong. All pieces are for everybody, the Imperium is vaster than anything humanity has come up thus far and even our measly 10000 years of culture has produced some bad ass designs. Sure, after the Heresy wearing the Eye of Horus was less uncool for most, but such is life.

Everything is for everybody! 

Now some faceplates look more evil than others but that does not mean a thing. Totally an aesthetic choice. People that say otherwise, are attempting to impose their own aesthetic preferences on others. There is no justification on the fluff or anywhere else for that. 

I built all 6 of my Reavers with the base kit only to find that awesome faceplate was released afterwards, I have to wait till it warms up to spray those and cut off my other heads to replace them. That alternate Reaver head is cool as hell.

If you bought, built, and painted your own models they’re yours to model however you wish. If someone wants a pink and polka dot legio that’s their choice! Using the armor with pointy armor trim or the Eye of Horus on loyalists is totally cool because for most of the Grand Crusade there was no negative connotation. Horus was named Warmaster for a reason and it’s totally fine to have loyalist legios with his iconography if they were part of his campaigns, it was probably a badge of honor!

You do you. ;)

Edited by Fajita Fan

I'd second all the above, there's nothing inherent to, for example, the tusked reaver head that demands it only works with a traitor titan. The imperium was a big place and there was a lot of cultural and aesthetic variation among legions, let alone individual engines. Same for the jowly warhound head, the designers said it was meant to look a bit meaner but that could absolutely work anywhere.

There were loyal legions who frankly were about as violent and 'barbaric' as their traitor counterparts - thinking of Legio Destructor here - but there's always room to do something interesting with it even in a more conventional or 'civilised' legion. A Praesagius reaver with tusks could be a mark of a particularly battle-hungry machine spirit (or could be an ironic chassis contrast to a cool, restrained machine spirit), a Solaria reaver could have them as a particular sign of a great hunter, a Gryphonicus reaver could have tusks as a nod towards a particular machine's personal knightly heraldry. Think of it as a starting point for something interesting in a titan's character rather than necessarily something you have to justify. Because you don't, they're your dudes.

Whilst I love the tusked one (and am working towards a cohort of Legio Mortis engines), I just wanted to echo everyone else in saying that you should use whatever you like! It'll suit whatever colour scheme you choose to utilise, whether loyalist or traitor, so go with your preference :)

There were loyal legions who frankly were about as violent and 'barbaric' as their traitor counterparts - thinking of Legio Destructor here

Was Destructor whose warcry was just "BIG DEATH!" because they spent so much time fighting Orks?

There were loyal legions who frankly were about as violent and 'barbaric' as their traitor counterparts - thinking of Legio Destructor here

Was Destructor whose warcry was just "BIG DEATH!" because they spent so much time fighting Orks?

The very same, yep! The same Destructor who even modified their engines so the orks could hear that warcry and caused concern about increasingly ork-y behaviour as high as the office of the Fabircator General. As you stare into the green abyss, so too does the green abyss stare into you.

Can't wait to see what FW/SG does with them. They're been mentioned in modern background as one of the largest legions but strikes me that if someone was trying to set up an eventual War of the Beast campaign/ork expansion to AT, they'd be a fine inclusion.

The very same, yep! The same Destructor who even modified their engines so the orks could hear that warcry and caused concern about increasingly ork-y behaviour as high as the office of the Fabircator General. As you stare into the green abyss, so too does the green abyss stare into you.

Can't wait to see what FW/SG does with them. They're been mentioned in modern background as one of the largest legions but strikes me that if someone was trying to set up an eventual War of the Beast campaign/ork expansion to AT, they'd be a fine inclusion.

My original plan was to have a Destructor support battlegroup alongside my Metalica Engines as in my fluff its a war against Orks but with no colourscheme/legio symbol information I've been slowly moving the idea to a Legio Osedax support battlefroup.  Who knows though, if we get official colour schemes etc then I might go back to them

Yse what you want. The head in the melta reaver box has two or three different faceplate options anyway if you don’t like the tusks – which I agree do look a little more chaos-y.

I actually am using just the original heads on my Astorum and plan to use the tusked version on my as-yet-unbuilt Mortis guy. I got a couple of spare weapon sprues to make Gatlings for my Warlords, so I had extra heads. But don’t bother doing that if you don’t want to. I'm using the same head design for all my Astorum Warlords too, and a different one on Mortis.