Priming witn an Airbrush

RedRowan

Are the compressors people use for air brushes too loud for use in an apartment?

Nope.  I'm using a Sparmax TC-620X, which is actually pretty quiet (FWIW, I have very sensitive hearing).  On paper, it's actually slightly louder than the TC-610H, but because it's a twin-piston model, it runs at lower rpm, so makes a "deeper" noise, which is less noticable/annoying.

For compressors it depends. Standard piston models are the same as a TV in a normal setting. If you want to go more silent you need oil cooled compressors but they are expensive.

I got a Werther Sil Air 20a which is super silent its a small one but extrem heavy around 19 kg and the price is most time over 300 €.

Its a good brand comoressor but nothing for beginners.

Get a Fengda 186 As or a chinese knockoff. They last long and if its time for replacement you know what you need.

@Firedrake Cordova

I have the same problem with original Stynylrez. But look out for MIG One Shot Primer. Its a rebrand.

@Firedrake Cordova thank you for the info!  I'll try 40% flow improver the next time I'm at it with the grey primer along with the low air pressure, if that fails I'll try the black or other grey primer I have (backups as I was running through it quite quick learning the airbrush :) ).  I might switch to the Mecha stuff at some point to try - at least I know it won't have sat on the shelf as long as my grey one might have!

@jaxom I also run the Sparmax, it's a lot better with the air tank as it's not constantly on when in use (unless you are constantly spam using it of course, but that's not a good way to keep consistent pressure).  I'd say the noise was acceptable providing you don't run it on a hard 'echoey' floor, maybe set it up on something that's firm but reduces the noise or even surround it by lots of egg boxes!

@Bung I found myself in a remote town that I've never been before and it was only then that I saw a model shop which stocked a good selection of MIG and other non-GW/Vallejo products.  It's quite rare to find a lot of the other brands down a local store (my nearest store that had most of this stuff on the shelf was about an hour drive away but shut down their walk-in store and postage costs make it tough to order just a few paints).  I don't recall having ever seen Stynylrez at any time, but I appreciate the note about MIG's version thank you, now to remember what that shop was I went to.

@Firedrake Cordova

I have the same problem with original Stynylrez. But look out for MIG One Shot Primer. Its a rebrand.

Cheers! :smile.:

at least I know it won't have sat on the shelf as long as my grey one might have!

Apparently, I bought my 200ml bottle of Vallejo Grey Surface Primer in 2011. :blink:  It's still fine! :laugh.:

If stynylrez dries quick on the model, does that mean it dries quick in the airbrush as well?

(IE for a newbie airbrusher, would it make more sense to go with a primer that takes longer to dry to prevent gunk up before they've had a chance to clean it due to newbie slowness?)

I generally mix the primer so that the "paint solution" is 20-40% Airbrush Flow Improver (with the rest being primer), and use a lowish pressure (< 20psi) with a 0.4mm needle.  I also use the Grey, Black, and Ivory (Mecha) primers, which probably helps, as white as a colour is generally prone to clogging and speckling.

Stynylrez primer is awesome stuff and blows away vallejo's surface primer. It's held up well on both regular plastics and FW resin, for me. 

I've heard lots of good things about Stynlyrez, unfortunately, it's not that easy to find in the UK.  I believe Ultimate Modelling Products' primer is rebadged Stynylrez, and easier to find, but I've never tried it (I have about 150ml of Vallejo primer left...)

Up to 40% flow aid? i've never diluted primer that far, I'm pretty surprised it doesn't compromise adhesion/strength when that dilute. Paint, sure, but PU is a lot more sensitive to that normally. Not surprised it helps it through the the brush without clogging though!

I can confirm Ultimate primer and mig ammo "one shot" (not their other primers) are both just relabelled stynylrez for EU distribution and potentially more available. You don't get the full range of colours though, and are slightly more expensive IIRC.

Barwell bodyworks is my go-to place for badger supplies in the UK, both stynylrez and bits for my patriot 105 as they're an official distributor and usually well stocked.

My 60ml bottles have tons left, so it's not something I need to buy often! I'm not surprised your 200ml bottle of vallejo has kept you going for a long time...

@jaxom - my cheap KMS AS-186 is about as loud and similar noise as my fridge motor in my flat. Quieter than my dishwasher and tumble drier. Plus with the tank the compressor only runs about 40-50% of the time even when spraying continuously. I usually use it at night for up to half an hour or so without disturbing my toddlers in the next room, and the Mrs seems fine with it when watching TV in the same room. But then it's only 1/6 hp i think (usual for hobby compressors IIRC), obviously bigger compressors you get from an industrial tools place will usually be far louder.

Edited by Arkhanist

Up to 40% flow aid? i've never diluted primer that far, I'm pretty surprised it doesn't compromise adhesion/strength when that dilute. Paint, sure, but PU is a lot more sensitive to that normally. Not surprised it helps it through the the brush without clogging though!

The white primer I have is noticeably thicker and more problematic than the black, which is again thicker than the grey (but no more problematic).  I'm typically toward the 20% end, as long as it's not the white I'm using.  I'm probably over-doing it with the white, and I know you're not supposed to use flow improver as a thinner, but I've not had any problems (I know Kenny Boucher uses Flow Improver as a thinner, and doesn't get on with the Airbrush Thinner ...) ...

According to Rob Ferreira in his book "Airbrush and Weathering Techniques", 40% dilution is the limit with the primers, before it negatively affects them (he uses 1:3 thinner:primer as his standard ratio, and then mixes that ~1:10 with flow improver).  It's published by Vallejo, so I'm hoping it's right!  Having said that, I did read that you're not supposed to dilute the Mecha primers (which is a different formulation) ...

++EDIT: I'm confusing the Mecha Color primers with varnishes, and wrote nonsense ... doh

Barwell bodyworks is my go-to place for badger supplies in the UK, both stynylrez and bits for my patriot 105 as they're an official distributor and usually well stocked.

Yeah, they're good guys - old-fashioned service. :smile.: They'll get "random" stuff in if you ask - my dad has an old Badger 100 that had the case break, talked to them on the phone, and they tacked one on their next order.  I would add that Badger is very much a made-to-demand company, so odd things like that can (understandably) take a while to come.

Edited by Firedrake Cordova

Cheers guys, there has been some fantastic information in this thread, proving really useful.

Decided to pay that little extra and go for the Harder & Steenbeck Evolution CRplus 0.4. Can’t quite stretch to the Two in One version but I figure this will more than cover my needs. Going to order it next week when I get paid.

For compressor I’m thinking of a simple Fengda FD-186 with a 3L tank from Amazon as I can get next day delivery with prime and have it delivered on a Saturday when I’m in. 

Steve

The white primer I have is noticeably thicker and more problematic than the black, which is again thicker than the grey (but no more problematic).  I'm typically toward the 20% end, as long as it's not the white I'm using.  I'm probably over-doing it with the white, and I know you're not supposed to use flow improver as a thinner, but I've not had any problems (I know Kenny Boucher uses Flow Improver as a thinner, and doesn't get on with the Airbrush Thinner ...) ...

Fairy nuff, sounds legit! You learn something new every day. I might find a use for my left over vallejo primer after all! I do recall the white being particularly problematic. I literally adore stynylrez white; airbrushing white is usually such a nightmare (I've tried like 6 different whites). I literally use stynylrez neat as my go-to white airbrush paint, not just for priming. I don't know what dark ritual they use to make it, but it's totally worth it. I do use daler rowney white ink too, but that's very translucent so it's more suited for tinting and subtle pre-shading adjustment.

@RedRowan

You can still buy a 0.2 needle and nozzle set later. Its not that expensive but you need the compkete set to switch the size.

@Arkanist

There are only 2 opaque whites that dont come out grainy from you airbrush.

Tamiya Flat White and Medea Comart white.

I have still to try the airbrush white from createx.

Schminke Transparent white is good to but its more transparent.

Decided to pay that little extra and go for the Harder & Steenbeck Evolution CRplus 0.4. Can’t quite stretch to the Two in One version but I figure this will more than cover my needs. Going to order it next week when I get paid.

Good choice - it's a very nice, versatile brush. :smile.:

If you want to delve down the rabbit hole, there's lots of bits you can add to it - 0.15mm-, 0.2mm- or 0.6mm needle set, 2ml cup, 0.5ml micro cup, paint limiter handle, 10ml suction feed conversion kit... :laugh.: (in all seriousness, don't, until you know you need one of them!)

Edited by Firedrake Cordova

Cheers guys, there has been some fantastic information in this thread, proving really useful.

For compressor I’m thinking of a simple Fengda FD-186 with a 3L tank from Amazon as I can get next day delivery with prime and have it delivered on a Saturday when I’m in. 

Steve

Glad we could help! You'll have a solid combo there that should set you up for a good long time, both for starting out and for more advanced stuff as you get the hang of it.