Warhead01's Imperial Guard - Fredonian Assault Corps.

Warhead01

Update.

Two more Melta gun troopers built and painted. 3 more bodies set up with green stuff 2 more to go before Friday. My cool Admech flamer bitz arrive! 

I need to save up for some transports, goals for next year. I'm thinking Taorux are the way to go. Mostly because once upon a time I owned like 15 Chimera so not exactly feeling it. 

Edited by Warhead01

Update.
In a delightful turn of events all of my orders arrived today. And at this time my assassin and 5 flamer trooper dudes are all built and primered black. Just waiting for the primer to dry so I can get painting! 
My rapier laser destroyers will be started this weekend but I still need more parts. I think I can work with what I have and will roll into that after the painting is accomplished. the big thing is I need to find the guns for them. I think these will really be cool when they are "done". 

Lots to work on over the weekend! 

My weekend project was over way too quickly.
I was in the zone last night as painted until after midnight.
only had a little left to do today. Over way too fast.
20211016_112247.jpg 20211016_112435.jpg

20211016_112629.jpg

Edit. 
These pictures I posted seem incredibly small to me. I thought they would become larger once clicked on. oops.

20211016_112419.jpg

20211016_112247.jpg

Edited by Warhead01

Thank you both!

Excellent work on the models and the battlefield terrain.

I'm having a lot of fun with it now! Everything's coming together.

Looking nice :smile.:

I have a lot of stuff for you to paint, if you keep being in the zone :tongue.:

Huzzah!

Ha, if you were in the states I'd consider giving it a go. Just stick with it and you'll get um' done!

Update.
I discovered the lascannon bits I want to order yesterday. a set of 2 dual "lascannons " by Blood & Skulls Industry. (Dual laser light cannons)
I've wanted to order from them for a few years but keep changing projects and never get to it.

More terrain ideas cooking! Just brought my old razor wire back to life, 4 like this one.

med_gallery_3442_16212_377074.jpg

these are about 5" X1.5" X 2" in size. 2" tall at best.

I figure that's 2" up and 2" down for most infantry models... Have a nice charge!

I have more wire that I need to reset on better bases and plan to try to set up some triple strand and the rest will likely just be decorative , maybe around an ammo dump area or something like that.
I mentioned the wire to my friend and he didn't freak out, that's a good sign. haha. I made a bunch of this back during 5th for a huge Apocalypse game my friend and teammate planned over 6 month during our deployment. The game turned out to be fantastic! our plans worked as well which also amazed us.
If you'll indulge me,
I used rolling bombardments, ?timed bombardments? to drive the enemy closer. We used aircraft and tanks together well ahead of out infantry to get at the stragglers and were attacked by Nidz in our trenchworks! We fought them off in hand to hand and won more than we lost! unbelievable! We all had a good time.
It was basically a form of combined army strategy poorly fit for WW1. 6 moths of planning totally worth it!
The Nidz attacking right out of our trenches at first seemed really op and like an auto win for them but the dice decided to give us a few really good rounds. Epic level fun!

Oh, I may finally have decided on the better ruined building I actually want to build. More on that when I have something worth sharing. Basically though I already have what they should look like built from before but I need to make some adjustments here and there to block more los. Easy enough. I will draw them out before I get started. Hopefully I can do that much over the weekend.

That razor wire is looking nice, which reminds me I need to make some when I start building some trenches :)

Will be nice to see what else you come up with in terms of terrain.

On the painting, don't worry I am almost catching up with my build queue, so the amount of stuff waiting to be painted will eventually stop increasing (or increase at a slow rate with conversions/sculpting as I still have the plan of eventually reaching 0 bits). That is just what happens when you try to build a force that is somewhat representative of the story behind it :D

That is just what happens when you try to build a force that is somewhat representative of the story behind it :biggrin.:

Absolutely! Heck, Perry miniatures posted pictures of another battalion in black coats and then it smacked me in the face, penal troops as conscripts. I'm tempted too because I believe they may be larger than the Victrix infantry models I already have as conscripts. I'll put it on the back burner for a while...

Ah, and Laser cannons ordered! Updates when they're a thing. 

Edited by Warhead01

You're army is coming along really nicely! It's been a pleasure to watch it grow. Terrain looks great and fits the theme well :thumbsup:

Thank you.

Always more until it's done. :biggrin.:

Update.

I've sorted out the rapier crews. Here's a few bad pictures.

med_gallery_3442_16212_25277.jpg med_gallery_3442_16212_90701.jpg

The control boxes are made from the Space marine biker handle bars and center screen. There are three of these crewmen but only pictures of these two were worth posting.

At this point I am just waiting on bitz to arrive later this week to continue. And everything is subject to change. Right now the crews are glued into the bases but I may need to rearrange them, partly thinking the crew with the box should be on a platform at the back of the tractor to drive it, instead of walking next to it. It's mostly a space thing as the 60MM bases seem almost too small with 3 models on them. I wont decide anything until I get the rapiers finished and well see how large they are then and all that.

Saved a building I had started a few months ago and am painting it now. Hope to add it to the terrain for the next game...tomorrow.

The ruins are coming along and I am putting together a tutorial full of pictures to share. Maybe it will help someone one day, who knows. The important part, I feel, is to illustrate just how easy it might be for even a new hobbyist to put diy terrain together. Things I wish I had known when I was new back in...96'... :ermm:

That and I enjoy making terrain.

I guess this leaves the elephant in the room, the Char 2c's. So far I have made no progress with them but I do hope that changes. I have felt that if I force it I will ruin them. I'm planning to field them as Malcador defenders and have thought more about that. Most of my ideas have fallen flat. there one person I know who would have been able to help me but I lost contact when Da WAAAGH forms went down permanently. so I'm on my own. Basically, for the load out i was thinking 2 lascannons, 5 heavy bolters and the demolisher cannon. the lascannons replacing 2 of the heavy bolters as that's an option. For at least 1 of them. I really feel that the model I have are too long and have thought to chop about an inch or so out of the length with a fine toothed band saw but I just don't know that's the right thing to do. they still need to be a bit wider as well. that much I can do with out ruining the models. I really just don't want these to look as bad as I am afraid they will.

Hopefully these will be sorted before the new year.

The war efforts continue.

If the length is not too big for its role, you could just ignore that part and simply widen the chassis with some stuff on the sides.

The original Malcador has some weapons on the sides which would already add some width if you made them like the leman russ sponsons, a bit of extra armour or supplies can easily give you the width you need.

Looking at some of the pictures you posted before of the tank you got, I don't think it would be easy to remove something as big as 1 inch without being noticeable, due to all the little details you would have to remove or somehow disguise to hide the cut.

If the length is not too big for its role, you could just ignore that part and simply widen the chassis with some stuff on the sides.

The original Malcador has some weapons on the sides which would already add some width if you made them like the leman russ sponsons, a bit of extra armour or supplies can easily give you the width you need.

Looking at some of the pictures you posted before of the tank you got, I don't think it would be easy to remove something as big as 1 inch without being noticeable, due to all the little details you would have to remove or somehow disguise to hide the cut.

Yes that is also a concern I have in mind. I would have to remove some parts and after, probably replace them with something else, armoured plates or a different engine compartment or fuel tanks. I can't really say what at this point. I was planning to widen it but that has to be done from the outside, the sides of the tracks. I can't widen the center with out cutting them apart. I do think I can make it work I am just unsure how at this point. I have plasticard parts i cut before and plan to use putty and greenstuff as well. I just keep thinking there is a more elegant way to do it. I'll also have to round up demolisher cannons. Hopefully from a 3rd party so I have more choices. Those are low on the list of priorities right now. I've drawn a few things up but have had trouble making them a reality when it comes to the building and materials department. 

I guess I just need to keep this in the back of my mind for a little while and I'll know what to do. 

ever have one of those games where your army gets trashed so hard that you go home and start building more Guardsmen? 
I did today. 
Starting the next 20 Infantrymen. It's suppose to rain or storm tomorrow so I know what I'll be doing. 

But seriously, My Primaris BA's got absolutely wrecked today.  You'll be able to read all about it tomorrow. 

So, I get it I'm become casual. I just don't see how guard can not be strong in 9th. Looking at 9th just as it is, Objectives and secondaries. How can AM not be good if it has more than enough units to take a beating while scoring nearly everything. I mean ya, some smart play is a must but we have the fire power and the warm bodies to throw at the enemy right? 

I've been looking at 1/48 scale Hind Attack helicopters.. But how to grimdark/sci-fi them... Need to remember this later. 

It is a shame that an army as beautiful as your BA could lose, but it is nice that you turned that into fuel for the guard :smile.:

Would be nice to see some helicopters to be honest. I have looked into a few 1/48 scale models myself for air support, but the variety I found so far is not that great.

Such is life. :biggrin.: 

Update.

20 infantry built and based. We spent the day watching dune and then Dune the sci-fy mini series. I kept at it all day and some how got it done. 

If that isn't enough, my bits arrived as well so now I can build out the Rapier laser destroyer lasers parts and get them painted! 

My hands are not happy that I did all that yesterday.  Pictures and updates ect when I have them in a few days. 

Hopefully I'll have new terrain to stick in as well. 

For your amusement.

https://warhead01.blogspot.com/2021/11/laser-destroyers.html
Several larger pictures on the blog post. 

20211031_153200.jpg 20211031_153419.jpg

I'm amazed at how well these laser destroyers turned out. It's still weird when things go mostly according to plan.
I like them but the more I se them the more things about them I'd probably have wanted to change or address, but from 3 feet away no one's really going to notice. 
I'd briefly thought about an operators position at the back to save a little space on the bases but had already glued the crews onto the bases, no big deal. 
These are on 60MM bases as that's what I have and my 30K grav cannon is on a 60MM, iirc. The non-heroic scale 28MM miniatures have really turned out a fantastic choice, they make everything else just a bit larger which looks really cool to me, Primaris Marines are huge! As they should be. 

No idea what's next just now other than terrain. 
Although after building these laser destroyers I half wonder if I could build a mining drill for some combat engineers.  We'll see. 

The war efforts continue! 

• 2 weeks later...

Blog update today.
ruined Buildings wip
Just a bit more to do  and they'll be ready for better pictures.

https://warhead01.blogspot.com/2021/11/4-new-ruined-buildings.html

20211113_155451.jpg  20211113_155500.jpg

I've had a fair bit of irl stuff going on and not painted any new models. I did touch up a Commissar I painted about 4 years back for the ETL, maybe more than 4 years ago... ? 
 I seem to have deleted that picture... something to look forward too I guess. I'll fit him into the next batch of "good" pictures.

It  hit me today that I hope Horse Cavalry becomes an AM troop choice, if it doesn't I'll figure that out for myself when I finally create codex Freedonia. the rule of three seem to sometimes get in the way of a good idea. I'll be thinking about this further. 

On my other to do list is another full army picture set and an inventory of my officer corps. I may or may not have enough officers to go around. 

The war efforts continue. 

Your terrain looks really nice and I like the reverse step by step on your blog :smile.:

Thank you. I know there's a lot of diy terrain information out there but I figure why not add to it if I can.

Glad you liked it.

I can’t see Cavalry becoming a troops choice but I’d love to see it!

Hell, I’d be happy as long as they get a datasheet!

Looking forward to seeing the family portrait! Nothing like a fully painted army shot.

I've been thinking about platoons and hope things like rough riders could make a come back as a platoon or a company. I really doubt we'll get something as cool as that but doing a diy thing and thinking more in terms of "open play". Hopefully I can find a middle ground, maybe next year.

I'm looking forward to seeing the whole army again myself!

Update.

Working on Objective markers. They're a bit too large and wobbly right now but it should be correctable when I find that drawing compass.

gallery_3442_16212_115636.jpg

I've made 6 of these and painted them the same. I might number them with a stencil. they have two layers of spray seal on them to keep on the paint. These are made from some crafting foam sheets 12"X18" in multicolor found at the big box store. Maybe 6 dollars for the foam. A set of these on Ebay run about 35.00 usd. I figured to give it a go and so far so good.