Darren Latham’s YouTube channel coming to an end

It might not even be anything nefarious or dramatic. He might’ve decided it’s a lot of effort and he’d rather hang with his family after work. Also, Daz is the Heavy Metal manager. There isn’t a scenario where some suit comes in and jacks him up or talks down to him.

Also, maybe he’s mothballing the channel not because GW told him to, but because Duncan is about to start one and he doesn’t want to compete with Duncan by offering the same or similar techniques that might drive people or advertisers away from Duncan’s channel. Nick Bayton pitched an unaffiliated YouTuber in a hang out and paint (Oscar Lars) and he’s always on message in Company shows, so I don’t think there’s any kind of legal sword of Damocles hanging over anyone’s head ready to fall when the say ‘MicroSet’ or ‘airbrush’.

Edited by Marshal Rohr

I'm sorry to hear this. I haven't watched his videos yet but I've got a tab in my browser open to his channel, I've just been too lazy to watch them. Looks like I'll have to rush.

I liked the Warhammer TV painting tutorials because they had something for all skill levels and I felt I could learn something from every video I watched. The most recent ones with the "battle ready" tutorials seem to just boil down to sticking on a basecoat of each colour and apply some Agrax Earthshade over it. I don't want to sound snobby but I've not got much out of those videos and I thought the Darren Latham channel would be useful to help up my game. It's only a six month old channel but I feel the community will be poorer for it's absence.

I'm sorry to hear this. I haven't watched his videos yet but I've got a tab in my browser open to his channel, I've just been too lazy to watch them. Looks like I'll have to rush.

I liked the Warhammer TV painting tutorials because they had something for all skill levels and I felt I could learn something from every video I watched. The most recent ones with the "battle ready" tutorials seem to just boil down to sticking on a basecoat of each colour and apply some Agrax Earthshade over it. I don't want to sound snobby but I've not got much out of those videos and I thought the Darren Latham channel would be useful to help up my game. It's only a six month old channel but I feel the community will be poorer for it's absence.

Agreed. They should have one of the intern's/ painting pit slaves churn out the battle ready vids, have the real talent focus on more advanced painting vids. 

It might not even be anything nefarious or dramatic. He might’ve decided it’s a lot of effort and he’d rather hang with his family after work. Also, Daz is the Heavy Metal manager. There isn’t a scenario where some suit comes in and jacks him up or talks down to him.

Also, maybe he’s mothballing the channel not because GW told him to, but because Duncan is about to start one and he doesn’t want to compete with Duncan by offering the same or similar techniques that might drive people or advertisers away from Duncan’s channel. Nick Bayton pitched an unaffiliated YouTuber in a hang out and paint (Oscar Lars) and he’s always on message in Company shows, so I don’t think there’s any kind of legal sword of Damocles hanging over anyone’s head ready to fall when the say ‘MicroSet’ or ‘airbrush’.

There's minimal cross-over from Duncan to Darren's stuff, that's like saying Porsche are impacting Ford sales.

I'd expect it's more to do with GW wanting to get a cohesive resource together for this kinda thing. 

It's a huge shame if he stops doing them though, they're fantastic.

Rik

With the levels the two of them work to, yeah, there's minimal crossover.

They both paint miniatures with brushes, but let's be honest here (and I like Duncan's videos) the techniques that Darren talks about are definitely WAY above the level that Duncan is used to doing.

Rik

With the levels the two of them work to, yeah, there's minimal crossover.

They both paint miniatures with brushes, but let's be honest here (and I like Duncan's videos) the techniques that Darren talks about are definitely WAY above the level that Duncan is used to doing.

Rik

That's just not true. Duncan's *job* was to paint that way. There's no reason he wont start doing more advanced techniques on his own channel. I've watched all of Darren's videos, he is exceptionally talented but he isnt doing anything esoteric. It's not like glazing is some dark art, you just have to be good at it, know how to handle the brush, and have the right consistencies. The mindset that what Darren is doing is special or for certain people only is exactly what he wanted to correct with his channel. You're not watching a ford vs ferrari part breakdown, you're watching an expert driver handle any vehicle we could all own. 

I "backed up" his channel as far as I can see (don't know about any unlisted videos). 13GB and then some, all in 1080p.

I won't make those public, for obvious legal reasons and also, because as far as I'm concerned it is Darren's wish to close the channel and remove the videos from public access. I won't go against that wish. A bit hypocritical, ripping them in the first place, then? I realize that. I won't try to defend that.

Hit me up if the videos ever do get deleted and at some exact moment, you need exactly one video from him. I'll see if I can provide it.

Another cocked up decision by GW HQ.

Where are you finding this is a GW decision? Could be he found the filming and editing of these tutorials way more work than he bargained for and decided he wanted to spend his free time on something else?

Another cocked up decision by GW HQ.

Where are you finding this is a GW decision? Could be he found the filming and editing of these tutorials way more work than he bargained for and decided he wanted to spend his free time on something else?

If that were the reason, there would be no point to take the already produced videos down. He'd just stop uploading more.

Something that is possible is that GW saw how popular said videos are and want to make a proper Masterclass series, hence the need for the takedown due to it becoming a competing product.

Mind you it's wild speculation, but Darren did help write the original 'Eavy Metal Masterclass painting guide:

8vV5xZ2.jpg

Something that is possible is that GW saw how popular said videos are and want to make a proper Masterclass series, hence the need for the takedown due to it becoming a competing product.

Mind you it's wild speculation, but Darren did help write the original 'Eavy Metal Masterclass painting guide:

8vV5xZ2.jpg

That's an interesting idea. Maybe the whole project was to guage the interest for a 'Masterclass' level of video content on the Warhammer TV page? Duncan and Nick mentioned having to pitch certain types of videos (Long form painting and alternate schemes in one video) because the decision makers were unsure if the views would be there and they turned out to be the most viewed content. 

There's minimal cross-over from Duncan to Darren's stuff, that's like saying Porsche are impacting Ford sales.

I'd expect it's more to do with GW wanting to get a cohesive resource together for this kinda thing. 

It's a huge shame if he stops doing them though, they're fantastic.

Rik

8vV5xZ2.jpg

That's an interesting idea. Maybe the whole project was to guage the interest for a 'Masterclass' level of video content on the Warhammer TV page? Duncan and Nick mentioned having to pitch certain types of videos (Long form painting and alternate schemes in one video) because the decision makers were unsure if the views would be there and they turned out to be the most viewed content. 

That's exactly what I said yesterday.

Rik