New Silver Templars Units (and Stratagems)

Dumah

New Silver Templars goodies:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=2&v=o_-7FmEmSCU&feature=emb_logo

My feelings are mixed. Being able to layer two custom successor traits on top of what is essentially the useful half of the Ultramarine Chapter Tactics could be nice (maybe Duellists and Tactical Withdrawal for some shoot, charge, fall-back, shoot and charge again fun). But then you realize that this extra rule only exists for two unique datasheets which are otherwise generic. The worst bit is the Intercessor squad is limited to 5 marines, making application of Veteran Intercessors stratagem questionable in value.

The stratagems are also mediocre, providing what amounts to the generic Chaplain litany for one character, but only vs a specific enemy character. Targeted Volley might be interesting, making Stalker Intercessors into legitimate snipers but a little costly at 2 CP.

On the whole I'm underwhelmed, unless there's more to see. Thoughts?

Edit: credit to Valrak!

Edited by Dumah

I feel like there's more to it(that Silver Templars are Ultramarine successors only), or at the least will be clarified that you can't use these with successor traits.

Although honestly, it's not going to break the game and if one is gamey enough to try stacking successor traits on these units, one won't care. Also, no matched play points visible.

The worst bit is the Intercessor squad is limited to 5 marines, making application of Veteran Intercessors stratagem questionable in value.

Since Veteran Intercessors has a scaling cost with the size of the squad, two 5-man squads for 2CP are at least as good as one ten-man squad for 2CP, for the usual reasons that MSU are good. I guess if you want to pile buffs onto a CC unit, you'd want a big squad, but Intercessors with S4 AP0 attacks aren't a great candidate for that anyway.

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah it says in the painting guide Mission Strategems so not really army specific strategems.

I'd personally go with bolter fusilade and duelists for these guys. The prefered tactic of the Silver Templars is to concentrate their fire from range on single enemy unit at a time then move in for the melee attack. Their prefered weapon being the stalker bolter for this very reason allowing them to striike at longer range.