Arise Legio Magna - Flaming Skulls

How do!

So I'll preface the post by saying I haven't played AT yet and likely won't for a while, partly because it takes me an age to finish a project but also #PlayItPainted!

But after a year of them being sat their part-painted, I decided to get on with my AT Titans - it took me long enough to decide on a Legio and last night I finally did - The Flaming Skulls of the Legio Magna. I'd already painted the armour sections a year ago in an orange based yellow, so it needed to be an army based on that, but I didn't fancy my original idea of Legio Fureans. It took a while but eventually settled on the Flaming Skulls, one of the original legions from Titan Legions back in the day.

TNgYsGf.jpg

TkJJgzn.jpg

​So I had my titans, just had to give the tiger stripes a go, which I made stencils for using a Cricut craft cutter and some sticky back vinyl. so pictures to follow, along with how the model looks now.

x2Zz4dd.jpg

66PzerO.jpg

TZBhXEn.jpg

818n3j3.jpg

GgVA7jc.jpg

So I think it's not a bad start, needs some tidy up of the black plus highlighting, barrels need drilling and all the details, decals and weathering.

But it should stand out at least in a parade.

Whatcha think?

Chris

Very nice start. Out of interest, now that you've done the masking and spraying, do you think it's easier to do it that way or to paint the stripes by hand? I've never tried stencil work myself and I'm curious about it. Personally, I think those stripes could be done relatively easily by hand, but we've all got different preferences.

@Marshall Loss, Fajita Fan, Schoon, WG Einar

Cheers! It's only 6 models - 2 reavers and 4 warhounds so I might actually get it done fairly quick for a change!

@Mandragola

For me every project is about learning something new technique wise, if you take my 40k Knights for example, it was about learning to airbrush, learning how to do candy coats, pigments, playing with decals more etc etc.

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/345486-hermanistas-knights-mechanicus/

My Dark Angels is about learning oils, better edge highlighting, but mainly about building an army for competativenests rather than painting.

These Titans are again learning new things, designing and cutting my own stencils, using airbrushed for them, micro weathering etc etc.

So the stencils were designed on laptop from found files and cut out with a cricut hobby cnc machine onto sticky back vinyl. It means some really jagged lines that are spaced nicely, rather than overdoing it by brush.

But it's about the learning of techniques more than the outcome for me.

Although of they look cool, even better :)

Morning!

Last night I set the cricut up to cut out some more vinyl stencils and did the shoulders of the Reaver quickly before breakfast.

MMvPkac.jpg

32TXLka.jpg

njAMdue.jpg

Again I need to get the brush out and tidy the tigerstripe up, and I used a different spray can this time and I'm even less happy than the first one.

Airbrush black is going to be needed, but also to try something different to the vinyl I'm currently using.

Edited by hermanista

They're Grrrreat! 

Ive also been using the titans to learn about stenciling. I just bought the Astorum decals and some mirosol/set as I have never really bothered with these either. 

The only quibble that I came across with them is if you mess up, painting over the stenciled area tends to leave an outline where the paint has pooled next to the stencil. Though I am not using an airbrush, just a normal brush.