Random Maniple of the Day - Legio Praesagius Arcus Maniple

The premise here is simple: I'm gonna randomly generate a Legio and Maniple from the list I just spent half an hour typing up, then we're gonna have a chat about how we'd go about writing a list for that combo. I figure it's a way of forcing thinking outside the box, although I originally came up with the idea to stop my self from falling into a rut (Legion Vulpa punch all the things) and just not trying out all the options available to me.

Our first result: Legio Infernus Corsair Light Maniple

So, sidestepping Reavers with better flamers. Hmm. At this point in time there don't appear to be any Firestorm weapons available to Reavers, which is a bit of a drag. However, upon reading a bit further down, I'd probably give everyone at least one blast weapon and Dark Blessing (to reroll the scatter distance), a Melta Cannon on the Seniores and the World Burner trait. Then grab the Legio stratagem a couple of times to try and funnel the opponent to where I want them while using my extra maneuverability to ignore the Difficult Terrain myself.

I'd like to switch this up daily, but I'll probably leave this up until Monday since Sundays are slow on the B&C. I'll also switch the title up with the current discussion.

Dragonlover

Discussed combos so far:

Legio Infernus Corsair Light Maniple

Legio Praesagius Myrmidon Battleline Maniple

Legio Atarus Mandatum Battleline Maniple

Legio Praesagius Arcus Battleline Maniple

Edited by Dragonlover

I love this idea, I also love the additional traffic we've had the last couple of months.

The Corsair on its own, I think, is underrated.  The ability to scoot out of arc at full speed is great for someone like me who sucks at positioning and could allow for more efficient fighting retreats.  Infernus doesn't offer much to Reavers - there could've been some possible synergy with the ability to blow up buildings that are behind or to the side of a Corsair Reaver where it can now move but that strategem is in the combat phase.  

a Melta Cannon on the Seniores and the World Burner trait.

Yeah, that's about it.  Do you guys play with picking or rolling for Warlord traits? I'm absolutely in favor of picking things that synergize with my list.  

On a side not if Audax hadn't gotten their own rules I'd have used the Infernus rules for my Audax list.  I'm using flamer bodies for my ursas claws and I had planned to use the flamer rules for them as the template seemed the most appropriate rules to match it's shooting profile.  As is...I can't see much use for Infernus until we get more flamer weapon worth taking.  

Do you guys play with picking or rolling for Warlord traits? I'm absolutely in favor of picking things that synergize with my list. 

My group picks - it's one of the only changes from 7th to 8th ed 40k I really liked, and so we carried it across to Adeptus Titanicus. Picking obviously offers a tremendous boon at the list building stage of the game, but it's also a really big positive for fluff lovers, who can actually work out a character/theme for their Princeps Seniores. Given that the entire game is modeled around feeling like you are the Princeps Seniores, it's a no brainer for me

On topic: love this idea. Basically agree with what has already been said though: World Burner Princeps with a Melta Cannon is a must, with Dark Blessing on every single Titan. Add balanced weapons to taste.

We pick our traits as well.

I feel like this hypothetical maniple would be a good one to use against a player who is just dipping their toes into Legio/maniple rules. You get a couple of bonus bits but nothing overwhelming, and that leaves you more able to help out your opponent if they get stuck.

Dragonlover

Sod it, I feel like we've exhausted the angles for the previous round, so time to roll the bones!

Today's combo: Legio Praesagius Myrmidon Battleline Maniple

Ouch, super accurate long range fire on practically guaranteed First/Split Fire. Gunlines aren't really my thing, so working out a more detailed list for this would probably take me a while, but my starting point would likely be at least one Sunfury on each Warlord and Macro-Gatlings on the Reaver(s). If nothing else, the re-rolls would mean that your shots would average out to hitting the body, and also you'd be less likely to waste shots on blowing up a weapon.

Dragonlover

No love for the previous combo I see. Fair enough, it's not exactly shattering the box. Let's see what we get today...

Today's Maniple: Legio Atarus Mandatum Maniple

I imagine you could do silly things with Maniple of One here, but I am in no way versed enough in all the available options to start speculating. I'd likely start with my standard setup of Sunfury/Macro-gatling/Apoc on the Warlord and Plasma/Vulcan on the Warhounds, with Unconventional Thinker on the Warlord as well. Not sure it'd be particularly inspiring to play, but hey-ho.

Dragonlover

I think Praesagius Myrmidon kind of speaks for itself. Praesagius likes range, Warlords like range, so the Reaver builds are what's left and I think game experience would speak best for how you want to load them out. Probably basic mid-field all-rounders with apoc/melta/gatling? And then a mix of long-range Warlord, mid-field targeted shot Warlord, and from there whatever you like. 3 Warlords + Reaver sits comfortably at 1750 but is mighty heavy and low activation. Still, you can do a lot of first-turn damage between Precision Volley and Pinpoint Accuracy.

Atarus Mandatum is tough, too. If picking traits, you probably want Unconventional Thinker on the Warlord and of course the Warlord should be your Princeps Seniores. But otherwise there's not a lot to speak for here that you wouldn't do with any other Titan Legion, or that an Atarus player wouldn't do with any other maniple type.

Also, a few questions for the format. Are we building lists to... 1250, 1500, 1750, 2000? All of the above? What about how a maniple fits with other maniples under the Legio of the day? As an example, the Infernus Corsair would probably go great as a demi-maniple alongside a demi-Lupercal maniple.

Edited by LetsYouDown

I mean if people want to extrapolate further, go right ahead, especially on the other maniples to run alongside. I didn't want to constrain to any particular points value but it's worth discussing if any given maniple is better or worse at a given point band.

Dragonlover

Okay some synergy possible here. Since the Warlord should be advancing forward with the Warhounds I could see Maniple of One coming in handy. There may be a turn where the Corsair’s ability to sidestep or backpedal at full speed could be amazing.  Or couple the Unconventional Thinker trait’s extra movement with a power claw and the Ferrox bonus to make sure you bash someone’s poor head in. 

This seems like a maniple/Legio combination where you’re going into battle planning one specific thing like that power claw bit and hoping it goes off. :biggrin.:

I hadn't thought about maniple of one. It's certainly a good option to make a Warlord Ferrox for a turn. Even without a claw, a charge and smash attack, or simply using a sunfury followed b a macro gatling in melee, is pretty likely to result in an engine kill.

But that's more of a general Atarus ability than specific to this maniple. I guess the hounds get better command stats from the maniple though, which could come in handy.

Sure but the Warlord in this maniple is pretty much obligated to move up with the hounds into spit swapping range so that’s where the Ferrox bonus *could* play a part.

We have plenty of Firebrands here, I’d love to know if someone could pull that off.

Sorry for my laxity over the last few days, life got ahead of me a touch.

Todays maniple: Legio Praesagius Arcus Battleline Maniple

Once again, bit of a no-brainer really. Does have the side-bonus that you can paint up the actual maniple in the book if that's your thing.

Personally I'd pair it with a Corsair, purely so I didn't have to keep track of Warhounds from multiple Maniples. Anything to reduce the mental overheads is a good thing in a game like this.

Dragonlover

A slightly curious thing with Praesagius is that the bonus is arguably better for shorter-ranged weapons than long-ranged ones. You get it when the gun itself is at long range, not outside of a particular range (like the Fureans targeters that work outside 12", for example).

So this means it's actually very good for things like plasma blastguns firing outside of 8". But it's pretty bad for Bellicosas with their 30" short range. I think it's pretty bad for Laser blasters, which have -1 to hit at long range, though I guess you'll hit where you want more often than someone who doesn't have this benefit. 

So for an Arcus maniple you probably want something like a quake cannon and all the plasma blastguns and VMBs you can lay your hands on. Maybe a quad laser hound if you're maxing out. More likely just go for two Plasma/VMB dogs and have them stick to medium range.

I'm never sure what to give the Warbringer. I guess a quake cannon and a couple of volcanos maybe. Sit way back and shoot things. The forward observer strat is probably a good idea.

Pair this with something like a Ferrox or Corsair maniple, I think. Arcus and Corsair can just about be done at 1750 I think. Meltas and gatlings are surprisingly good for Praesagius.