Siege of Terra - Fury of Magnus

Kelborn

I completely forgot about this. Ah well, at least it’s not a main series one. 

Not a main series one, but unlike Sons of the Selenar, it appears to establish plot points that'll be picked up on by main series books later. So it's quite annoying. Hopefully the regular release happens before the next main novel.

I... completely forgot as well. 

Its weird that this subject is being addressed in a novella though and its weird that it costs the same as a mainline CE and so big besides.

Will see for spoilers, but is it weird that I feel strangely happy I forgot to buy it?

I'm actually not happy to hear that. His long novels lack editing and usually would benefit from being shortened by at least 100 or even more pages. I'm looking at you, Fulgrim and Angel Exterminatus.

I’m with you here. McNeills longer books can be properly boring. He needs kept on a short leash by a good editor. I loved Sons of Selenar, which was the first McNeill book in ages I really enjoyed, it was nice and short.

It’s the right length.

Lots happens.

It’s very pacy, and I found it incredibly satisfying. Not everyone is going to like where it goes, but McNeill has a pretty impossible task of tying up so many strands and does it well. Some folk may object to those strands existing in the first place, but that’s another matter entirely.

It hits the sweet spot for a non-numbered book for me, important and consequential, exploring avenues that should be wandered down, but also one that won’t massively change the rest of the story.

The characters are consistent with earlier portrayals and, despite what’s said in the afterword, there is a nice air of finality to the story.

Dead good. Once again, the LE is a lovely object and the interior artwork is nice too.

Spoiler synopsis? I doubt I even know all the plotlines around Magnus at this point.

I mean the ultra-basic thing that folk take from this is going to be that

the Emperor tricks Magnus into killing Malcador and asks him to come back to his side but Magnus turns him down and he has a fight with Vulcan
, but that does the book a massive disservice, so no-one should read what I wrote. Seriously.

Spoiler synopsis? I doubt I even know all the plotlines around Magnus at this point.

the Emperor tricks Magnus into killing Malcador and asks him to come back to his side but Magnus turns him down and he has a fight with Vulcan
, but that does the book a massive disservice, so no-one should read what I wrote. Seriously.

Now I'm always a proponent of the just and good attitude of "read the book before passing judgment."

But that happened in a novella?

Now I'm always a proponent of the just and good attitude of "read the book before passing judgment."

But that happened in a novella?

I told you not to click on it!

Loads of mad stuff happens, for example-

Fenris and Nocturne manifest to have a fight with Magnus in the first half of the book, too

But the first spoiler is going to be the big takeaway. It’s done really well, too.