Rules Changes I Would Like to See

jgascoine011

I mean armies with lower BS balance it out with much higher volumes of fire, typically. So much so that it's advantageous this edition because you can be more confident of an average distribution when you roll twenty dice than when you roll five.

Still I think negative modifiers (and positive for that matter) should be capped at 1, and maybe have 6s always hit, in the same way 6s always wound. It only gets silly with stacking various things up.

In theory this sounds nice, but I honestly think it would be awful in practice. Imagine a match-up like Eldar versus Imperial Guard. The entire Eldar army will go first every time, making it even worse for some factions than it is now, since they at least have a chance of taking first turn now. 

Even in lopsided situations like that where one army is almost always going to be faster than the other every time, the whole point is that neither player is taking every action for their army in a single go so the player with the slower army (in your example, Guard) gets to react to the Eldar movement before shooting happens, which gives them a lot more say in the outcome. They can move units into cover before they get shot at, or move units to screen others that have become exposed. You could "ready" shooting units to skip them to the top of the initiative queue for the shooting phase to try and whittle down the Eldar to reduce incoming fire. There is a lot more counter-play this way, and that's not even going in to what you could do with stratagems and army abilities (like Orders) and so on.

The problem I see with alternating actvations is much the same as the problem we have now; a coin toss (effectively) is going to decide which player's super-turbo-blasty-unit gets to act with impunity and which has to anxiously weather an incoming firestorm to see if it can even participate in the game at all. Because obviously, in an alternating activations scenario you are always going to choose your biggest threat to go first so there's no chance for it to be destroyed before it can act, exactly how the fight phase works now. 

The problem I see with alternating actvations is much the same as the problem we have now; a coin toss (effectively) is going to decide which player's super-turbo-blasty-unit gets to act with impunity and which has to anxiously weather an incoming firestorm to see if it can even participate in the game at all. Because obviously, in an alternating activations scenario you are always going to choose your biggest threat to go first so there's no chance for it to be destroyed before it can act, exactly how the fight phase works now. 

To be fair that's a general problem of the super high damage output in 40k and alternating activations at least soften the blow since instead of getting all your threats blown off the board before you can react, it's only one and then you can do something as well. It's infinitely much better than the current status quo.