Doomglaive Dreadnought/Vortimer LR Redeemer

Skywrath

"Please start looking at the bigger picture and (if I may politely recommend) keep an open mind. First of all I said ROUGHLY comparable (and if I didn't say it, I meant it) to a plasma gun, it's just minus -1, and 1 damage less"

That's not roughly comparable, that's almost triple the damage for the plasma. That's like saying a regular marine is pretty much the same as a terminator, it's just -1 wound and -1 save.

So let me get this straight. By your own logic, a psycannon that does 1 (potentially two) damage, and a plasma weapon that does 2 (potentially 3) damage is roughly triple the amount of damage? Are you factoring in AP modifiers to come to that conclusion? Because if not, then I'm afraid you are completely wrong.

Psycannons on a land raider can't have damage 2, since tide of convergence only affects infantry. The difference between AP-1 and AP-3 is a 67% damage increase against 3+ saves, 100% against 2+, which combined with the +100% damage of D2 compared to D1, results in a +233% damage increase using plasma isntead of psycannons (+300% against 2+, +200% against 4+), so more than triple. Even if you waste 2 CP to use psychic onslaught, plasma still does +150% damage compared to the psycannons. So yes, saying that they are pretty much equally effective is just ridiculous.

If I were to entertain you, is that you were talking about Damage. Not AP characteristics, not saves, not toughness. Sure while all three characteristics contribute into the % you can score said damage, that is not the idea behind this question. And I believe if you want to go full math hammer in there as well, you would want to factor the myriad other factors in there, such as rerolls due to CP, rerolls due to Draigo (or whatever the guy that can reroll hits), AP characteristics, Saves of other enemy units, their strategems etc, etc.

By the time you factor that in, you would realise how much a waste of time that was, compared to the fun of playing this game. I won't deny your math-hammer is truly fascinating, but once again you are missing the big picture here - the big picture was a unit you can play for FUN (maybe semi-competitive), not for maths sake. If I were trying to play one in a competitive scenario, sure, I'd probably choose a GMNDK or something along those lines, deferring to your logic. 

Edited by Skywrath

Having discussed it, the Moderation Team have decided to keep this thread closed as it appears to have ran its course.

There is nothing wrong with trying to find uses and/or new uses for "less-optimal" units; people have these in their collections and want to use them from time to time. Nor is there anything wrong with "politely" pointing out how un-optimised they are. What matters above all else on the B&C is constructive and civil discussion and that is something as a forum we need to adhere to at all times.

gallery_26_548_17394.gif

Edited by Jolemai