Favourite armour killing unit options?

RoadRunna

I suppose a Poll would be best but just through I would throw it out there for some armour hunting units choices and where to people go?

Yes there are the lascannon wielding Iron Havoks which must be approaching top spot but there are many others out there depending upon the flavour of your army and your own views on pros / cons:

There is (among the many) :

Deredeo Dreadnought with Arachunus Heavy Lascannon Battery

Sicaran Venator 

Vindicator Laser Destroyers

Rapier Laser Destroyers

Lascannon Heavy Weapon Squad

Mortis pattern dreadnoughts with Lascannons

So many to choose from!

I love my Sicaran Venator to fill this role due to the concussive effect of its weapon forcing my enemy's armour to snap fire.  Strong Strength helps with frontal shots on approaching enemy vehicles and then will often back it up with a pair of Javlins for flanking side shots..  I find this combo generally makes its points back time and time again

A friend of mine takes a Leviathan with two Storm Cannons for high number rerollable damage which just glances tanks to death.  The leviathan is also tough as nails to kill

What do you take and why?

Shout-out for the Arquitor Bombard with rockets. It can't touch AV14 and will typically only scratch a point or two off AV13, but any light vehicle so much as tagged by the apocalyptic blast coming from this 140pt tank is dead, and any other infantry it happens to savage in the same shot are gravy.

Land's Proteus-pattern Raider MTB with 3 twin-linked lascannons.

Tough as nails, carries a tactical or tac. support squad to unload on an objective and/or protect it from infantry.

Also, iconic as hell. :wink:

1024036-Proteus%206.jpg

Monolith: that seems incredibly pricey, but cool.

In what 30k universe do you run that thing ? :teehee:

Leviathan w/ Melta-Lance & Drill + Dreadnought Drop Pod.

Yes this combo is a favourite among many - expensive but certainly a threat that you have to deal with ASAP in your base line

Here are some of mine:

• Breachers with melta bombs! While not a super optimal choice, it just feels sooo right. Their 5++ in melee also helps keep them alive when taking down hard targets with big explosions. Works well in some lists.
  • Secutarii Peltasts with some arc rifles. Again, while not as great as Hoplites, they're more rounded so they can take down heavy armor and then use their other weapons to be a nuisance.
  • Archmagos Ordinator. This guy has armorbane on all attacks, so with the right combo of gear and bodyguard he's very potent against armor at any range.
  • Quadguns with shatter shells. Reliable, flexible, and a heresy staple.
  • Chainfist terminators. Another heresy classic.
  • A Vigilator's Sabotage! ability. Again, this one won't take down a spartan, but D6 S5 hits against the rear armor of lighter vehicles before the game starts is pretty fun. Combos well with Tank Hunter.

Deredeo Dreadnought with Arachunus Heavy Lascannon Battery

Strictly speaking, the autocannon version is better, but those lascannons do look really cool!

I'm surprised no one has mentioned a Lightning with Krakens.

When you absolutely positively have to take out that one vehicle, accept no substitute!

I still remember my first game against somebody with a Lightning: I had no idea it even existed prior. Rolling around with my Typhon, pre-nerf, thinking I was unbeatable...

Certainly taught me a lesson :P