New in Adeptus Titanicus...

Myrmidon

Hi everyone!

For some time now, I've been following news about AT, and I have fallen, slowly but inevitably, in love with the game. there are a lot of reasons, but the main one: TITANS. I cannot argue against that. So, I've decided once quarantine here is over, I will go a grab myself the Adeptus Titanicus Starter Set. In the meantime, I'm doing some planning, and I would like to share with you some doubts I am having.

Part 1: Purchase Planning

As I said, my first purchase would be the Starter Set. 2 Reavers, 2 Warhounds and 2 Cerastus Knight Lancers seems to me like a pretty solid start. My complementary purchases are making me think...

I love Reavers. IMHO, they are the coolest looking titans around. Lore and tabletop-wise, I love them too. They look versatile, reliable and resilient for their cost, and they have a wide range of weapons which can pack quite a punch. I haven't deepened too much into the maniples yet, but there is a solid variety of maniples revolving around Reaver or Reaver+Warhound.

So, hence comes my first doubt: should I continue on my Reaver-phyllia and purchase one (or even two!) more Reavers? Or should I get a more heavy-hitting Titan? The Warlord comes to me as the go-to option in that case: I could field the most basic of all maniples, an Axiom, and also have some really mean and heavy guns. Also, the mini looks really cool. Specially with the Sunfury/Arioch helmet.

Part 2: Legion choice

OK, now I got some Titans around. Time to paint and play. So... which legion should I choose?

I am clearly on the lore side of the game, more than competitive. I'd rather have a decent playable battlegroup but backed by a nice and solid narrative than the most overpowered combo possible. Luckily, it seems to me that AT lends a lot to this side of the game. Everything is pretty balanced and geared towards this "historical wargame" style of play. My main reason for picking up a legion is pure rule of cool and personal taste.

I'm a devout servant of the Golden Throne in my heart, so Traitor Legions are totally out of the question (at least, for now...). So, let's go for a Loyalist...

At first glance the decision should be obvious: "You are such a Reaver fan? Then go for Gryphonnicus!" Nah, not my style. Their lore of "medieval kinghts in titan armour" doesn't fill me. Also, their trait Lust for Glory is quite anathema for my way of playing.

I've always been a huge fan of Legio Crucius. They are the coolest Titan legion ever. I am sorry, but that is an empyrical fact: first, their Low Gothic Cognomen. Other legions have names like Death's Head, Death Stalkers, ... meh, just teenagers trying to be edgy. But Legio Crucius have an awesome cognomen: the Warmongers. That's how a legion of 12-metre machines of destruction should be named! Second, their heraldry is just gorgeous. No need for fancy colors: just black and white. Doom of Molech introduced a little bit of orange, which connects to their home Forge World of Ryza and adds the necessary degree of color intensity. So nice.

Third and foremost, their lore. Ryza has always sounded to me as one of the three "big ones" of Forge Worlds, alongside Holy Mars and Lucius. But Ryza has always called me because it represents the best aspects of the Adeptus Mechanicus: they are keepers of old plasma and shield technology yet not as stupidly dogmathic as the techpriests of Mars or Lucius, and at the same time innovative and creative without dabbling into tech-heresy like Incaladion and Stygies VIII. Also, they have endured many sieges by traitors and xenos scum and yet not perished. Cool, really cool.

Checking the rules of Legio Crucius (the current ones) I can see a pretty versatile titan force. So I could run an Axiom if I want, but I could go for a full Reaver force like a Corsair. That's neat. They look to me like a heavy-hitting legion thanks to their reactors, so lots of turbolaser, volcano cannons, meltagun and plasma, but not reduced to just sitting like ducks and shooting.

But, indecisive as I am, I still have doubts... two, precisely. They are called Defensor and Fortidus.

Legio Defensor was just a side note on the Collegia Titanica for me. Then it came Titandeath. Oh, holy Emperor. My love for Crucius was being tested. Legio Defensor. The Nova Guard (first step: cool names). A gorgeous heraldic scheme (an inversion of Crucius: white, black, and lime green). The few lore we were given is also amazing: first followers of the nascent Imperial Cult. An underdog legion that stood firm against all odds while more illustrious names fell into infamy. What's not to like? Well, rules-wise they seem quite limited to alpha-strike tactics.

Second, is Fortidus. The Dauntless (again, a cool name. Death Stalkers? Prfff... stop pretending, you fool traitors!!). I love copper color. And they appeal to me as the most flexible of legions, regarding maniple configuration.

Part 3: Conclusions?

Ah, so what to choose? Stood firm with my one and true love the Warmongers? Or fall to the enchanments of the Stags of Satyraxes or the Lost Children of Mars? I'm more inclined to keep my faith in Ryza (specially with the upcoming supplement The defence of Ryza, which could mean transfers for Crucius), but I'm having doubts. Maybe for a second legion. How beautiful would be a combined strike force of Crucius-Defensor/Fortidus fighting vile heretics in the walls of Nyrcon City?

PS: No ofence to any Legio Mortis/Vulpa Players! Just joking. They are a cool choice too! Well, any titan legion is such a cool choice!!!

I love Reavers. IMHO, they are the coolest looking titans around. Lore and tabletop-wise, I love them too. They look versatile, reliable and resilient for their cost, and they have a wide range of weapons which can pack quite a punch. I haven't deepened too much into the maniples yet, but there is a solid variety of maniples revolving around Reaver or Reaver+Warhound.

Same, absolutely. 

The Corsair maniple of 3-5 Reavers lets you back up and sidestep at full speed instead of 1/2 speed so I like that.  The Venator is cool if you like Warhounds but you can't plan everything around the free shot.  Do you need a Warlord? Eh, it doesn't hurt to have one...or five.  

Legio Defensor was just a side note on the Collegia Titanica for me. Then it came Titandeath. Oh, holy Emperor. My love for Crucius was being tested. Legio Defensor. The Nova Guard (first step: cool names). A gorgeous heraldic scheme (an inversion of Crucius: white, black, and lime green). The few lore we were given is also amazing: first followers of the nascent Imperial Cult. An underdog legion that stood firm against all odds while more illustrious names fell into infamy. What's not to like? Well, rules-wise they seem quite limited to alpha-strike tactics.

Something to keep in mind with Defensor is that the strips are fading between green and yellow, representing the twin suns of their home forge. You can do lime green to keep it simple, of course. There's a more clear division on their banners, though.

They don't just do alpha striking! They also have virtually guaranteed command rolls due to several different buffs, so whatever orders need to be issued, Defensor is on top of it. And then there's that nice defensive stratagem. They're also one of 4 Titan Legions that come with 5 rules, making them a little exceptional (the other 3 are Gryphonicus, Mortis and Vulcanum).

It's a tough decision! If I ever did a loyalist titan legion, I think my choice would be between Crucius and Defensor, as well.

Death Stalkers? Prfff... stop pretending, you fool traitors!!

:cool.:

Playing Reaver-heavy is absolutely doable, as are all legios you mention. Even Defensor aren't for alpha-strikes only, their accumulating bonuses for late game when their numbers have gone down are quite nice.

Naturally the answer depends on if you want to do one cohesive force or several maniples worth of different Legios :D

As for the "love of Reavers," there's good reason to be enamored. Reavers are versatile, tough, and good in lots of situations. And pretty much every Legio fields them, so it doesn't limit your fluff choices (for any but a small number of Legios, such as Audax).

If you love the fluff AND love the color scheme of Crucius, then I just don't see any reason for doubt. (On the other hand, I always think that you should have one Loyalist Legio and one Traitor Legio just in case you want to do some "shadow boxing" against yourself.

Oh, and welcome to the forums. I think you'll find some great people and great feedback available here!

I love my Reavers. Honestly, I thought I'd be head over heels for Warlords but for the most part they're just kinda meh. The firepower is good but they're just too slow for my liking.

I swear by my twin-CC Reaver... so much so that I'm building a second one. With Mortis' March of the Dead they can get into CC quickly and coupled with Warhounds it causes the enemy to have to choose which they fear more because one or the other will make it into close range.

For the 20 years I have been in the hobby I have always thought Reavers looked silly and warhounds were the best, until I built one. And now Reavers are my fav! I have 5 now for Astorum (+ 1 for Gryphonicus) The Corsair maniple is great and having 3 or 4 reavers + a knight banner or two gives you a lot of flexibility with activation order etc. 

I echo the sentiment of rule of cool and go with what you love..! 

haha, glad someone else likes reavers! I actually liked the warlord better as a model, but my play style fits reavers so much better... on top of that, They are the most versatile titan in the game. For me, I’m typically running a three reaver Dauntless Ferrox Maniple (swapping a warhound for the extra reaver) supported by a warbringer. The warbringer brings in the warlord sized punch without having the price in for a warlord, and my reavers do most of the lifting.

Thank you all for your feedback! So I've decided I'll go for Crucius. I think I'll build a Reaver heavy force: the Corsair maniple is great. However, I'll take at some point a Warlord, just in case some great mean guy is needed...

(On the other hand, I always think that you should have one Loyalist Legio and one Traitor Legio just in case you want to do some "shadow boxing" against yourself.

Well, I'm not going to lie: Fureans is appealing...