Brother captain load out.

Trollbeard

So I tend to use the Bro Capt as a final points adjuster when list making (I have multiple magnetized models hence the choices).  I start him with a stave/SB then at the end see what points I have available to round off the list.

I have run him with Falchions and a Psilencer previously, but am currently running him with a Hammer and Psycannon at 1000pts and a Hammer with Psilencer at 2000pts in the lists I am playing with at the mo (well a month ago anyway), against mostly Chaos lists.

More competitively, what Seizeman said is probably the best way to go.

You could use the “I” icon meant to go on top of the banner and deck him out in a bunch of accessories/purity seals? Give him the hand with the severed daemon head and use the loincloth? I’ve even put the loincloth on the backside of some of my guys and think it looks pretty cool.

There’s not a ton of options unless you kitbash from other armies tho really imo..

Edited by Soder

Cool thanks for the input guys will have to give it a good thinking over.

Small related question, what are some

Good ways you guys have made your Bro caps stand out from the regular terminators when converting from the box??

First thing I do for all my Officer type characters (GMs, BCs and Libs) is use a third party cloak (Anvil Industry Exo-lord Regal Cloaks - they are compatible with GK TDA), and then from there do as others have suggested. 

I have also used third party hammers and skulls as well but those have all been situational.

• 2 weeks later...
I currently use a halberd and psycannons. Before PA came out, often I would keep the storm bolter and assign the relic Fury of Deimos to assure that he gets 6 shots rapid fire. This relic already has AP -1 which is helpful vs infantry. But it eats a relic slot, which is why I switched to the aforementioned psycannon which has Str 7 .

I miss the old relentless rule terminators had. Being able to move and shoot heavy with no issue. I always put psycannons on my dudes then. Now I just keep them vanilla mostly

Blade of the forsworn looks cool though

Edited by Captain Coolpants

I miss the old relentless rule terminators had. Being able to move and shoot heavy with no issue. I always put psycannons on my dudes then. Now I just keep them vanilla mostly

And, for the points, a S7, AP-1, D1 weapon isn’t all that impressive, anyway. It’s really only slightly better than a Storm Bolter; might even be worse, when you account for the -1 to Hit.

They really need to up the profile to D2, to make Psycannons worth taking again. I don’t even bring the 1 per Strike Squad anymore, like I did in previous editions.

I miss the old relentless rule terminators had. Being able to move and shoot heavy with no issue. 

Allowing all units to move and shoot heavy weapon at minimal penalty (-1) is an 8e idea that makes the use of mobile heavy weapons much easier than it was in  7e, when Snap Shot (so, only hitting on 6s) was the rule. These days, it tends to be only vehicles that can move and fire heavy weapons without penalty, and not many of those at that.

The Bolter Discipline thing basically does give Terminators "Relentless" for Rapid Fire weapons, at least. Combined with 8e getting rid of the general rule that, if you fire rapid fire or heavy weapons, you can't assault as well, I would say that, in 8e, Terminators are fairly decent now at pulling off "move, shoot, and assault in the same turn" - just not quite as good as they used to be.

Actually, if the psycannons did not have a -1 to hit penalty, they would be much better. Not amazing, by any means, but at least playable. It would most likely be better to give psycannons to paladins rather than demonhammers if that was the case.

Right now, psycannons are ok on characters for 5 points. The problem is, because lists are so tight, in practice those psycannons end up costing significantly more than 5 points, so other options are better.

Anyway, it's ridiculous that terminators no longer have relentless (as if they did not have enough problems already) and that a 4 shot S7 AP-1 D1 is a heavy weapon. Let's hope 9th solves the terminator issues and the problem with GK special weapons in general (remember how good the havy incinerator used to be?).