Question on list composition

Montoya

Hey guys, 

Long time player.  Fairly new to TS.  

Something has been bugging me and I see conflicting things on line as I look at army reports etc.

Can we take the daemon units in our codex direclty in our army and still be battle forged?  or only via summoning?

The one I like to take is a blob of pink horrors as one of my 3 troops.    Am I being legal when I do that?

I don't see why you can't take Pink Horrors as Troops. They are listed like that in the Codex.

They can also be summoned as they have the Daemonic Ritual ability, but it's not compulsory to bring them in this way.

Tyriks is correct; you can take them as a battle forged Troop choice but this would invalidate your Thousand Sons Detachment bonuses. You can get around this by summoning the daemons - they are not part of your list so do not break your Detachment bonus. It depends how you want to use the bonuses from a pure Sons force ultimately.

Summoning is ok, but nothing to write home about. If you want to work with daemons often a small Daemons Detachment is worth considering. If not the odd squad to summon to the table is fun and sometimes quite handy :smile.:

That's what i was worried about, and wanted to make sure I wasn't doing something wrong in the rules. (which it turns out I was doing wrong, as I was taking full benefit of the brotherhood of sorcerers rule, hateful assault etc.   

So if I wanted my 20 man blob of pink horrors (which is crazy hard to kill off due to the 4+ invul) my best bet would then be to pay the "tax" of a squad of cultists or tzangors to fill my 3rd troop slot and then summon the horrors.

That's what i was worried about, and wanted to make sure I wasn't doing something wrong in the rules. (which it turns out I was doing wrong, as I was taking full benefit of the brotherhood of sorcerers rule, hateful assault etc.   

So if I wanted my 20 man blob of pink horrors (which is crazy hard to kill off due to the 4+ invul) my best bet would then be to pay the "tax" of a squad of cultists or tzangors to fill my 3rd troop slot and then summon the horrors.

Or just make a super cheap Daemon Detachment. A Patrol, or a cheap Battalion with Pinks/Blues/etc. You can find them good for squatting on objectives and you get 5 CP, plus a few cheap additional casters can help.