Best loadout on Razorbacks?

Hi all,

what do you think is the best weapon option for Razorbacks?

I like to build some of these and I wonder which weapons to choose. The twinlinked lascannons seems to be the better Predator while I can hardly see a reason to field the TL assault cannons. Heavy bolters seem to be the better weapons when it comes down to output to cost ratio.

Razorbacks can fill any role. Look to your present models and pick loadout that fills gaps in your firepower. If you need anti multiwound and can protect your castle dual lascannon make sense. If not I prefer cheap and cheerful bolters. You seem to be on the right track. You can not really screw up too bad with a razorback. All load outs do their job(s) well.

Razorbacks are fairly competitive in a Space Marine army. Not much to go wrong with really.

Twin Assault Cannons are very effective, matching their points cost nicely. 12 shots is good and 3 such units in an army can shred things quickly. Take 5 if you are fed up of playing friends!

Twin Lascannons do seem like nice budget Predators if you were to not take the sponsons, however if you take a Predator you ALWAYS take the sponsons! For a Razorback Twin Lascannons are a good way to get that firepower into the list for relatively cheap on a vehicle chassis. Not as well thought of as the Twin Assault Cannon though as you often can get Lascannons into a list elsewhere, but I'd say a good option.

Now, the Twin Heavy Bolter on a Razorback for 87pts isn't a bad cost by any means. It's just rather lacklustre when you could get a more powerful option for 30pts more. Do you need the transport capacity? If so then it is a steal. If you're building a gunboat then I'd suggest going all out and doubling your firepower for 30pts.

Thanks for all your advice. It seems to me that every loadout has its uses. That´s nice to hear.

Do you need the transport capacity? If so then it is a steal. If you're building a gunboat then I'd suggest going all out and doubling your firepower for 30pts.

Well, I´m about to build a fluffy Fire Angels army and they extensively used Razorbacks, Rhinos, Predators, Vindicators, Whirlwinds. That´s why I´m asking. ;)

Another question: what do you use to build a TL assault cannon? The kit only offers lascannons and bolters.

I believe Forge World does one. Failing that, the Land Raider Crusader Twin Assault Cannon fits perfectly, though that would mean buying a whole other kit just for it.

But if you're building a Land Raider with Twin Lascannons you could always just buy the Crusader kit anyway. It comes with the standard sprues and will net you some extras.

Also, I'm all about a fluffy themed list! And the imagery of the older Marine vehicles is 2nd to none, looking really solid on the table.

Edited by Captain Idaho

Thanks for all your advice. It seems to me that every loadout has its uses. That´s nice to hear.

Do you need the transport capacity? If so then it is a steal. If you're building a gunboat then I'd suggest going all out and doubling your firepower for 30pts.

Well, I´m about to build a fluffy Fire Angels army and they extensively used Razorbacks, Rhinos, Predators, Vindicators, Whirlwinds. That´s why I´m asking. ;)

Another question: what do you use to build a TL assault cannon? The kit only offers lascannons and bolters.

The twin link Assault Cannon is a forgeworld upgrade, but since their site is shut down I can't confirm if it's still something they regularly offer. In any case, there are some options from kitbashing GW plastic kits that work well.

My personal favourite is the Baal Predator turret. It looks extremely menacing and I love that.

Another option is the twin assault cannon bits from the Land Raider Crusader/Redeemer upgrade sprue. Those might be easy enough to find from eBay or bits sites.

I've built a couple with the heavy bolter as a base, cutting off the front portion of the gun, and the cut off end of a couple assault cannons. It ends up looking quite like the actual one.

I use my baal pred with no sponsons as an assback (least favorite pattern for me after price hike). The idea that downsizing a turrret would increase room inside the vehicle is bonkers. Well gw tank design in general is kinda bonkers. My recommendation is to build a rino and keep your turrets ect modular. Rules change. Best be adaptable. Also love the Fire Angels chapter idea. Wish I had my models painted as a home brew.

Another option is the twin assault cannon bits from the Land Raider Crusader/Redeemer upgrade sprue. Those might be easy enough to find from eBay or bits sites.

GW sells the Land Raider Crusader sprue separately. This is the cheapest and most reliable way to get the Assault Cannon turret.

https://www.games-workshop.com/en-GB/Upgrade-Pack-Land-Raider-Crusader

I’ve done the same simple conversion as mentioned above, spare dreadnought assault cannon arms, very minor amount of cutting and they go on the front of a heavy bolter turret. Does the job Edited by NKirkham24

• 2 weeks later...
Dual Lascannons. Park it near a Thunderfire Cannon for my favorite results. The gunner can repair the Razorback, while the cannon fires, and the Razorback blocks Line of Sight. Granted, not the great T8 of a Hunter or Stalker, but gets to sit still, and zap armor from long range.

Razorbacks are a good and flexible unit.

The best weapon depends entirely on your list and local meta. If you're lacking Dakka take a twin heavy Bolter. If you're lacking anti-tank go for a twin Las cannon.

If you simply want a cheap transport with some firepower select the best value option, etc

Edited by Ishagu

You get a few spare assault cannons in the Storm Talon kit too.

On topic, while the best option isn't clear, the worst option certainly is.

Dual plasma gun and lascannon.

Only because if the twin plasma overheats it slays the tank instead of doing one mortal wound.  It use to be incredibly good, and a relatively easy conversion.

You get a few spare assault cannons in the Storm Talon kit too.

On topic, while the best option isn't clear, the worst option certainly is.

Dual plasma gun and lascannon.

Only because if the twin plasma overheats it slays the tank instead of doing one mortal wound.  It use to be incredibly good, and a relatively easy conversion.

Exactly, It's so stupid. It doesn't make sense in fluff or the crunch. 

What it tell us is, that if a plasma gun on a razorback overheats it kills a tank.

But if an effing laser destroyer overheats on a deimos pattern vindicator, it only takes a couple of MWs?!