Lucius Teleportarium

Hello everybody. I was looking through the Codex and was wondering if this would be a viable idea. 
have a unit of dragoon’s set up in the Teleportarium and use a unit or two infiltrators to back them up. Or would this not be worth it? I would like to try and make something work with Lucius as its my favourite Forge World. 

Thanks in advanced 

Well one thing can be to DS a unit in. Have a Manipulus nearby to grant plus 1 charge and then you have an 8" charge

Fulgurites are a good unit for this

For Lucius deep strike, I only use ranged units, like plasma vanguard or kataphron that would attract too much attention if they started on the table.

How efficient dragoons were in that situation depends on two things:

1. If the screens are cleared enough to reach a worthy target - since deep strike happens before you can shoot, any replaced screens would prevent you from reaching the intended target

2. If they can make it into CC. A Manipulus with the Solar Flare could help with that a bit, but you still rely on 8" charges - not exactly guaranteed to work.

With Infiltrators, I don't really see much synergy. They require the same strat to work in CC (only one unit can use it each round), they are more useful to eliminate chaff (which should be eliminated before deep strike, not after) and they die to a stiff breeze in the next turn, without distracting the light AT that is the bane of the dragoons. Infiltrators are nice chaff killers and distraction/disruption units, but they are not deathstar spearhead material.

Becuase of the problems of charging after deepstrike, if looking to protect your dragoons more you could run them as stygies.

They have a natural -1 which then stacks with the stygies -1 if 12" away so a lot of stuff should be -2 to hit you turn 1.

This also means they're on the board turn 1 for grabbing objectives/counter charging any enemy alpha strike.

I like my infiltrators but as MajorNeese says they are better at clearing chaff rather than charging them - mine either come in T2 to shoot screens (and then usually die themselves), or turn 3 to grab backfield objectives. If they get a charge off its a bonus.

I wasnt sure how many dragoons you were thinking of teleporting in, but a fun alternative for a large unit would be 4 fist/flamer kastellans. They'd be in aegis protocol the turn they arrive so at least if they fail their charge they have a 4+ inv (and their flamers deter counter charges as well as laying on some hurt when they arrive).

EDIT actually re-reading Lucius you do get more protection that I first thought - the AP-1 to AP0 thing is pretty big now against some stuff ('tactical doctrine? what tactical doctrine')

Edited by DanPesci

I wasnt sure how many dragoons you were thinking of teleporting in, but a fun alternative a large unit would be 4 fist/flamer kastellans. They'd be in aegis protocol the turn they arrive so at least if they fail their charge they have a 4+ inv (and their flamers deter counter charges as well as layingon some hurt when they arrive).

Fun part - the Binharic Override strat can be used at the end of ANY phase. Including the charge phase. So you can try to get off a charge with them, and if you are successfull, switch to fighting twice right before the fight phase starts, so they can use it instantly. After soaking up overwatch in aegis protocol. If the charge fails, stay in aegis protocol.

I wasnt sure how many dragoons you were thinking of teleporting in, but a fun alternative a large unit would be 4 fist/flamer kastellans. They'd be in aegis protocol the turn they arrive so at least if they fail their charge they have a 4+ inv (and their flamers deter counter charges as well as layingon some hurt when they arrive).

Fun part - the Binharic Override strat can be used at the end of ANY phase. Including the charge phase. So you can try to get off a charge with them, and if you are successfull, switch to fighting twice right before the fight phase starts, so they can use it instantly. After soaking up overwatch in aegis protocol. If the charge fails, stay in aegis protocol.

As far as im aware you can use it in your opponents turn too. So if you fail the charge you can keep aegis protocol on throughout the opponents shooting phase and then switch to conqueror at the end of their charge phase if needed.

Thanks all. Ya I was thinking of a big unit of dragoons and the only reason I thought of the infiltrators is there rules would allow them to come along for the ride with the dragoon’s in an attempt to keep the dragoons aliveness doesn’t there job in the back field.  

I have 2 unbuilt from when Skitarii first came out and looking for ideas on how to use them. One of the many army’s I fell in love with from the get go but failed to do anything with them. Now with the great looking models  coming out it has sparked my interest again. Just have to stop from buying anything new till I have painted up the majority of grey boxed up units I have. Fingers crossed