Put off painting?

Apologies if this in the wrong forum section!

I’ve had something gnawing at my mind for a while now and just want to see if anybody has ever found themselves in the same position.

I have collected 40K since I was about 8 years old, I’m now 24 and I have still yet to paint and finish a full 2000 point army. It’s not that I get other projects in my head and get distracted, I’ve been a firm 30K Ultramarines fan for about 5 years now so you would expect me to be able to at least field a 2000 point army fully painted up, and yet I can’t.

I love the building, converting and kitbashing side of the hobby and making fluff/lore up in my head for my army, and yet when it comes to painting it I find myself with no motivation.

For years I put this down to me being a lazy sod, and yet lately I feel like I have come to the conclusion that I am scared of painting. I am worried that I have spent hours converting up a miniature, and that when I come to paint it I am going to ruin it with a sub-par paint job.

I was just wondering if anyone else has felt like this before and how you got yourselves out of it and painting?

James

Don't worry, there are plenty of people who aren't into the painting aspect of the hobby.

If you are simply scared of ruining a model, rest assured. You can always just strip the paint via a bath in ethanol or similar and application of an old toothbrush.

This is really common to be honest.

It depends on what it is that you want to achieve but the best way to get stuff done is set dead lines. Arranging a game, taking part in one of the board competitions here on the B&C also help. Break it down into little bits, set yourself a goal of say complete a single unit or a character or vehicle.

It is perfectly normal and I expect for every painted army you see there are thirty unbuilt piles of grey plastic sat in people's cupboards or under beds or on tops of wardrobes.

I'm the same though, I spend ages coming up with ideas and conversions then all my enthusiasm fizzles out when it comes to the painting. Right now to get past this I'm working on a crusade army so I can flick back and forth between Imperial factions and I'm also painting an army for another game system to break things up further.

If it's conversions you are worried about then just paint a rank and file unit first, if your avatar is anything to go by then your painting looks good to me.

I have been the same way myself for about 30 years now. What gained me some momentum in painting was to make a proper spreadsheet paint scheme with colours in sequences, like so:

1. Boots and straps and pouches. Rainy grey.

2. Boots, straps, pouches. Shade agrax.

Etc for the entire model. Then pick up 10 guys and do one step at a time. It removes that feeling of "if I sit down and paint now I'm going to have to do a lot of difficult things" and replaces it with "surely I can paint shin guards brown for an hour", with the added benefit of always ticking something off a list for EVERY session, which is great for that old brain reward center.

It also takes out all the brain activity from the process - I know I can listen fully to an audio book whilst painting because painting is no longer a thinking/distracting thing, just a 'doing' thing.

Youre not alone in this. I've had an Eldar army since 2006 and can maybe field 900pts fully painted and based?

Know that a paint job isnt permanent. I've worried about painting and what scheme to paint models so much that I havent put brush to model, the end result being that I havent painted at all. I spent a year dithering over what chapter to paint my Primaris. In the end, I realised that fortunately I'm in a position to buy more models if I dont like how I painted them, or I have the tools to strip them if needs be, although thats a last resort. 

With the new contrasts, you can achieve simple, effective paint jobs really quickly. Models I thought I hated I could knock out in an evening. Even without contrast, just not being scared of models like scouts sped me up. I'd avoided painting some for years as I recalled them being detail intense, however I cranked out 5 in a night a few weeks ago.

From your blog and profile pic, 'simple' is maybe not what youre going for, however you like weathering? Get some other tactical marines or whatever done up to tabletop standard, then go back and weather them. Then you'll get into a routine soon enough.

I would have thought that after so long collecting, you'll have enough models by now that you can set a few aside for practice. You identified the source of the problem, you're scared of doing a bad job. So you need to break through that. Don't be afraid to go in and make some mistakes, it's impossible to learn without making mistakes.

Maybe you need to experiment with some new methods. Personally I know I'm not the best painter in the world, and I know I'm too lazy to develop the skills to get truly good. But I've worked out a way to do it that I'm happy with. And naturally that wasn't an overnight thing- My earliest models were bland, no highlights, sloppy details. Thing is, you're always going to improve and you're always going to look back on something you thought was perfect and see new flaws in it. Chasing perfection is a fool's errand.

As others stated already, you can always go back and strip old models. Personally I just touch them up- Adding highlights and tidying them up.

Just dive in and do it. You've surely got plenty of models to waste ;)

I’m the same mate. I really hate painting minis and force myself to do it on occasions when I have nothing to do. I’ve recently been sticking my AirPods in my ears and just listening to DJ mixes I enjoy and that has helped me a lot lately. 

I love building and assembling models but yeah the painting is a big thumbs down for me too. 

I finally got everything i had on the backburner painted because the FLGS is shut down thanks to the lockdown. i even got around to retouching a bunch of battletech metal minis that got dropped (now that's something i was putting off). it was a total of 15 vehicles and 54 infantry in 28mm scale (mostly my DUST stuff)

If you have alot to paint (and you actually want to paint it) the best way to go about it is to do a little at a time. set aside an hour on a set schedule on a weekend and then put it down and come back to it  later. 

Also don't try to finish a complete model. do groups of models by layers...IE today i am going to base coat this squad. next time i come back to it i am going to paint the bits that are color "X" and so on.  that way you don't burn yourself out. since it seems with minis you are NEVER done building or painting. 

Events are absolutely key for me; not only are they the prompt to get the project finished, but they're also great exposure to other armies and painting styles. You know that adage about the fact that you are the only person who notices your painting mistakes? Tournaments bear this out completely; I simply can't remember thinking negatively about anyone's paintjob or spotting any mistakes. 

Not only that, but they're - for want of a better term - real armies, not the utterly drop-dead gorgeous pieces you see on Instagram or even here. You'd be surprised to find how simple it is to make a model 'pop' and look fantastic to 99% of observers; I consider myself a merely competent painter of the 'Eavy Metal style' yet I seem to get moderate plaudits.

Edited by Scammel

Great advice so far. I'd really recommend the events here, particularly the 12 Months of Hobby

Theoretical: You want a fully painted army at a standard you're happy with.

Practical: You have to start somewhere! Break the army down into units, and the units into blocks of colour. Paint a little each time you feel like it. 

I don't know if this will help or not, but it is impossible to ruin something with a bad paint job.  You can literally fix any mistake in painting and if worst comes to worst you can always strip the paint and start over.

I try to just paint for 30 minutes a night.  It's my zen zone and helps me recover from all of the day's craziness.  I would encourage you to just be free to try things and learn as you go without beating yourself up.

There are some easy techniques that you can build upon quickly.

Space Marines - especially with color schemes like the Ultramarines - are very easy to learn to paint with.  I have a painted 2k ultramarines army.  I'm a mid level painter - and I can churn through Ultramarines relatively quickly - and I think anyone can learn to as well.

Before you begin - I would recommend setting up a wet pallet - there are tons of videos on Youtube about it.

The Ultramarines only require a few colors - Blue, White, Gold for Trim, Red for eye lenses and details, a bone white, a gun metal, a couple of accent colors of your choice for things like plasma, and some wash.

I prime mine gray with an air brush - spray paint is just fine

I then base the entire model with ultramarine blue using an air brush - but brushing on is just fine too just takes a little longer

Then I paint all the gun metal

I paint the items I want gold

I hit the accents, leather, bits and bobs, eye lenses, etc

wash the model with black to pick out details

then dry brush the whole thing white for highlight and it also makes them look a little dusty like they are in the field

I know this sounds complicated, but it's not.  Just got a model at a time and your confidence will grow.  I need to take better pictures of my army20200112_001341.jpg?resize=438%2C43820200112_001259.jpg?resize=438%2C43820200112_001329.jpg?resize=438%2C438

Death Guard are also an easy army to learn to paint with - they are all a medium tone and you can slime them up

20200111_235653.jpg?resize=438%2C43820200111_235438-1.jpg?resize=438%2C438

Lots of good thoughts in this thread. For me, zenithals give me avenue for paintjobs that look nice and aren't too slow. As for ruining models, putting paint to the model and knowing that you can strip it if it's not to your standards. 

OP you’re in the same boat as me. I’m accepting two things: my first couple of armies won’t look good and that quantity is quality in a certain respect. I’m trying to get some stuff painted accepting that it won’t look anywhere near as good as the very talented people here, Coolmini, IG, etc. I, and you, should stop worrying about that and simply get some paint on there to get the ball rolling.

Two things that are helping me are contrast paints and 91% alcohol if you can find it. Alcohol strips paint really well without damaging the plastic and contrast paints are a nice way to block out color. Layer paints go on over them and they can be used as glazes so long as you varnish them (they scratch easily).

For real, the only way to get past the block is to simply do it, that’s what I keep telling myself. I’m about to prime my Deathwing to paint for third time, I’m painting an AT knight household and for some models it’s their second or third paint job after getting stripped. My BA Primaris are still soaking to respray. Get paint on there before your paint dries out and see what happens.

Heck go on eBay and get some easy to build starter set models and use them as tests. I still have Dark Imperium models to use as tests, bits of sprue also work to test washes or highlights.

Edited by Fajita Fan

Another thing to keep in mind: Motivation comes and goes for everyone, so don't rely on it. Instead build habit and process, and stick with them. Pick a 1 hour block a few times a week, and paint in them no matter what. Set an alarm on your mobile to remind you. Once you build the habit, motivation ceases to be a factor. I'm not motivated to do the dishes, but they get done because of the habit.

Lots of good advice here. Hopefully you pick up the brush and start the journey. Once you do, you may find that you were worrying about nothing. There's no way to ruin a model with paint. If you don't do a job that you're satisfactory with, just strip the model and do it again.

My advice would be, paint and don't compare yourself to people that paint for a living. No matter how bad a paint job I do on my models I always feel a sense of accomplishment. After all, they may not be the best dudes out there but they'll be your dudes. 

It probably took me 2 years to paint a 2k army. I like to halfwatch or listen to something while I paint, so documentaries or sports I follow but amnt crazy about. Most people are using their phones while watching stuff anyway so maybe treat painting as something you do while watching other/certain things.

Agree on breaking it into chunks.

Maybe combine the 2 and stick on a 90 min doc and paint for the duration.

If you get bored with a certain unit or type of model dont be afraid to paint something else and come back to it

Many thanks for all the replies, you have given me a lot to think about.

Looks like I'm not the only one with this problem then, which is reassuring to say the least. The general consensus seems to be just paint for a few hours a week which seems reasonable, and at least I fell in love with Ultramarines which are one of the more forgiving paint schemes. I think I certainly need to stop comparing my work with a lot of the figures other people post online, because that sure as hell doesn't help. However, they are fantastic at giving me inspiration and I've asked an endless amount of people over time how they have painted something to try and get an idea of how I can replicate it at my skill level.

I think I have about 7 different paint schemes and guides for Ultramarines blue saved, I just need to paint up a few minis in each and settle on one as I have scrapped my old scheme for being too dark.

Looks like somebody may well be getting an order this weekend off me for some paints and new brushes because mine are looking a little shabby, just have to find somebody who has what I want in stock in these unfortunate times!

I think I certainly need to stop comparing my work with a lot of the figures other people post online, because that sure as hell doesn't help. However, they are fantastic at giving me inspiration and I've asked an endless amount of people over time how they have painted something to try and get an idea of how I can replicate it at my skill level.

Don't forget that people usually see your models standing on the tabletop, a lot further away than when you paint them. In a game, no-one will notice the occasional subpar paintjob! A friend of mine has a visual impairment and has a real hard time painting details, so the models often look goofy when seen from way up close. On the tabletop however, all those bright yellow Imperial Fists look fantastic!

My best advice would be to paint some terrain. It's more forgiving and you can practice any techniques you are concerned about on the finer details, but also there is nothing more motivating for me than that moment at the end when the panted army is on a fuly painted and modelled battlefield.

Just current events have tired me out not wanting to paint. I am still painting the same 10 legion terminators for the past two months. I try to paint one unit a month, but has been a wash this year. 

I think I certainly need to stop comparing my work with a lot of the figures other people post online, because that sure as hell doesn't help. However, they are fantastic at giving me inspiration and I've asked an endless amount of people over time how they have painted something to try and get an idea of how I can replicate it at my skill level.

Absolutely this. Remember that those people only get hat good by painting. A lot. If you don't paint, you'll never reach that skill level. 

If you look through my plog, you'll see models finished to all kinds of levels, depending on what I'm feeling at the time. Trying to paint every model to commission level will only result in burn out. Base troops only get 1 layer of highlight if I'm feeling generous.

As someone else mentioned, quantity has a certain quality to it. Maybe just get everything with a blue basecoat, then when you have the full 1000pts or whatever to tabletop standard, go back and do the detailing?

Just going to point out that if you never paint you will not get better. No body starts painting like a master. if you never paint because you are afraid of screwing up your mini, you will never get better because you are not trying or doing. Do not worry so much about it! If you mess up or dislike the paint job later you can always touch up, repaint, or strip and repaint. You will get better. The more you do it the better you will be. Think of when you started converting minis. I am sure you are better at doing model conversions than you were when you started. I personally love the modeling aspect of the hobby the most probably, and I KNOW I am much better at it than I was when I started the hobby 20+ years ago. My first warboss conversion was terrible! lol. I loved the model because it was my first real conversion and I played with him a while so had a lot of good times. He was definitely not a great conversion however. It is the same with painting. 

Long story short- if you don't do something, you will never improve. And there is no reason to not start when you can redo it anyway.