Help me choose my Lord of War

Rottimus

Hi all,

Been looking at finally adding a proper Lord of War to my army for the upcoming apocalypse revival.

I'm considering a Baneblade for my Guard OR a Typhon Siege tank for my Marines.

My problem? I can't figure out the points discrepancy?

A baneblade is roughly 400 pts or so with a big blasting cannon AND a demolisher, all heavy damage, good AP, many many shots.

A typhon is well over 700 pts roughly and all you get is a better ballistic skill, a bit higher toughness and less shots and overall damage output.

What am I missing? It seems the typhon is very very overcosted to me?

You are correct. Many of the FW LoW units are costed in a way to make them completely unplayable outside of Apocalypse style games that don't use points.

If you want a Marine LoW you should look at the Astraeus tank. It's the only one costed at a level that makes it usable in games of 40k.

The Baneblade family of Tanks are great. I recommend either the standard Baneblade or the Shadowsword.

You are correct. Many of the FW LoW units are costed in a way to make them completely unplayable outside of Apocalypse style games that don't use points.

If you want a Marine LoW you should look at the Astraeus tank. It's the only one costed at a level that makes it usable in games of 40k.

The Baneblade family of Tanks are great. I recommend either the standard Baneblade or the Shadowsword.

And the Astraeus is still absolute :censored: for it's points, because unlike literally every other Primaris vehicle, it has a reasonable amount of guns on it and isn't festooned with enough guns to level a city block despite being a transport (Repulsor).

All of the Marine LoW units from Forge World are overcosted for some god awful reason (probably so people buy Knights?) aside from the Spartan.

If you want a LoW vehicle, get that Baneblade. You'll use it far more often than any Marine LoW

Edited by Gederas

All of the Forgeworld Lords of War are getting a revamp soooooon so we have no idea what their points or worth will be as of sometime soon? Covid has scrambled all the things though.

Personally id always advise getting the giant tank you like as a giant tank the most though, if you are dropping a lot of time and money on the thing may as well do it for something you actually like rather than a temporary (especially now) game advantage.

I recommend the Spartan with laser destroyers for SM/CSM. It's points are reasonable out of all the FW LoW and it has good transport capacity. Either that or non FW knights are still trucking along despite the nerfs. Edited by MegaVolt87

And the Astraeus is still absolute :censored: for it's points, because unlike literally every other Primaris vehicle, it has a reasonable amount of guns on it and isn't festooned with enough guns to level a city block despite being a transport (Repulsor).

And the Repulsor still isn't just a transport. It is both, a full fledged tank and a transport. A hybrid. If you want just a transport, that would be the Impulsor.

The reason why it's :cuss is because it costs more than a Knight (both, points and money wise) without having half of the benefits, like being able to fight in melee, a good invul, fantastic stratagem/relic/WT support, a small footprint, being large to draw easy LoS, etc.

You can make the Astraeus more durable with certain chapters, and boost the shooting efficiency more than a Knight's.

I'm not saying it's the most optimum unit but it can do a job.

Edited by Ishagu