What company do you portray your marines as?

Title. Also if you do assign a company to your marines, why that specific one?

For my Dark Angels they don't have a company.

For my Grey Knights, I'm thinking the 3rd company, as I like the promise of any kind of potential above everything.

EDIT: This is meant for all chapters - Dark Angel, Blood Angel, Space Wolf, etc etc. Think I might have posted this in the wrong area come to think of things..

Edited by Skywrath

Not applicable for my Black Templars, but for both my Ultramarines and Star Phantoms, it's the Fifth Company. Though not the company typically in the spotlight, they're still a Battle Company. And the black Company markings look the best and go well with any color scheme. Edited by KhorneHunter57x

I created my own Chapter but since I have too many mini marine models, I created a full battle company out of them and partials of reserve 8th and 9th company.   In the past I collected Dark Angels and painted them into the 3rd battle company.

Always used to go 5th Company with my Ultramarines. I've gone with a HH paint scheme but in my brain they're still 5th Company, they've just got gold trims.

I do that but with my Dark Angels HQ's (so Master, Lieutenants, Sergeants). Turns our rather well, plus it makes them pretty easy to distinguish from normal units!

Second company because it's a homegrown successor and there's virtually no difference between the 2nd, 3rd, 4th or 5th apart from the heraldry colour which I adapted from the Blood Angels parent chapter.

My Ultramarines firstborn are 2nd company,and when the Primaris arrived I chose 7th as if they were reserves, bolstering the original battle company. Obviously the Primaris numbers continue to grow but they remain 7th company. What can I say, I like purple.

Edited by NKirkham24

All my Marines are based of a HH colour scheme that is close to the 2nd company but not quite.

I'm in the same boat. My Dark Angels use their GC/HH colour-scheme, so my Firstborn don't have obvious company markings, barring the Deathwing and Ravenwing marines.

The Primaris for my Dark Angels, however, are 5th Company (amusingly enough considering the addition of Lazarus) as I was going with that company before Psychic Awakening was even announced, or Lazarus was first mentioned in White Dwarf :lol:

My Salamander Firstborn are (or will be one day, if I ever get around painting) 4th company. Mostly because I liked the name of their captain back then and after reading into the Badab war for the first time I was really into ship-to-ship combat with breachers and all that jazz, so I thought that the 4th company with their captain being the fleet master would be a good fit. I might change up the company colour sheme a bit, since green markings on green salamanders are not too interesting, but we'll see. Also, there are virtually no green Salamanders transfers, which makes painting/ putting the correct heraldy on them harder.

My Primaris probably will get painted as bog standard 2nd company Salamanders - reason behind this is that they might just use the "standard" colour sheme when they fought in the INdomitus Crusade or something like that. Probably because it makes it WAAAY easier to paint them, since I can use the normal transfers.

My Iron Hands Successor Chapter that I created it 3rd - 4th Edition are a mix of Clan Kaargul, Clan Vurgaan and Clan Garssak forged in war.

Edit: Typo.

Edited by Machine God

Love the question. I personally go with a mix, actually. As of right now, I'm using mostly 2nd company for my Fomorians with gold trim, with my assault marines being of the 8th company with steel trim, and my bikers being of the 6th company with orange trim. I think they look cool together, and quite fluffy. Since the reserve companies usually support the battle line ones.

My Salamander Firstborn are (or will be one day, if I ever get around painting) 4th company. Mostly because I liked the name of their captain back then and after reading into the Badab war for the first time I was really into ship-to-ship combat with breachers and all that jazz, so I thought that the 4th company with their captain being the fleet master would be a good fit. I might change up the company colour sheme a bit, since green markings on green salamanders are not too interesting, but we'll see. Also, there are virtually no green Salamanders transfers, which makes painting/ putting the correct heraldy on them harder.

My Primaris probably will get painted as bog standard 2nd company Salamanders - reason behind this is that they might just use the "standard" colour sheme when they fought in the INdomitus Crusade or something like that. Probably because it makes it WAAAY easier to paint them, since I can use the normal transfers.

I love it! Maybe you can just put the transfers on and try to color in the symbol green? It would make it much easier than free handing, at least. I'm about to start collecting Salamanders myself. I'm aiming to buy the primaris Salamander upgrade kits to put the shoulders on my marines, and forgeworld Salamander shoulder pads for my firstborn marines. I want to save myself the trouble in time and frustration. Edited by Ultramarine vet

My custom Chapter of Iron Hands successors draw somewhat on the Sons of Medusa organization, so I'm having my guys as members of the 1st War Lodge, being the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd Companies (each of which has their own Veterans, Battle, and Reserve squads).

I love it! Maybe you can just put the transfers on and try to color in the symbol green? It would make it much easier than free handing, at least. I'm about to start collecting Salamanders myself. I'm aiming to buy the primaris Salamander upgrade kits to put the shoulders on my marines, and forgeworld Salamander shoulder pads for my firstborn marines. I want to save myself the trouble in time and frustration.

Glad you like it. I myself am more leaning towards some Shapeways heads for the heraldy. Only problem is that there will be about 3-4 different variations of the chapter badge, but in a chapter renown for its artistry I guess that might to be expected^^

I have my Imperial Fists as 5th Company in the 40k era, but i love playing HH so my army is of the 5th Household, 401 Company called "The Defenders"

Edited by nusphigor