You have $500 to build an army, how would you?

I would build up more of my Lunar Venatorii Army which is an unusual Astra Militarum Army. Why? because it is a bit expensive to Kit Bash at the moment when I am not using all the pieces. What i want to build up is a bunch of Bikers and maybe figure out Wyrm Riders so they can actually be modeled.

Was gonna make a joke about buying a titan, but then i realized that even warhound chassis are 525 with no guns....

In a more serious vein, ignoring sales tax, and assuming we already have the modeling supplies and books needed:

If i was going to make an army I do not yet collect, I'd probably go mechanized Tau:

-Longstrike (18), to ride in a hammerhead (60) (obviously), for a total of 78

-fire warriors with devilfish (50+40) for 90 (times three), for 270

-crisis suits (75)

-2 piranhas (70)

for a total of 493 dollarydoos. Almost entirely vehicles, with the Crisis suits to provide some mobile firepower where needed, and/or some deep strike reinforcements

Alternatively, Alpha Legion (loyalist, because of course they are, but CSM list):

-chaos lord and dark apostle (SMH from HH, 50)

-3x10 CSM from the MkIV kit: (150)

-3 chaos rhinos (120)

-3 predators (180)

for a nice count of 500 dollarydoos. Always wanted to build a loyalist alpha legion army, and this seems to be one of the better ways to get it done. Same theme as the tau army, with lots of vehicles and some hard-hitting firepower in the predators. the lord and apostle may need to footslog, but there's plenty of target saturation.

Now, If I was to build up an existing army of mine, it would look a little something like this for my dawn blades:

- skullhelm chaplain (18)

-death company (35)

-2 assault squads (90)

-devastator squad (50) plus ETB marines, sourced from somewhere at MSRP (10) (60)

-3 razorback kit (180)

-2 tactical squads (90)

-2 SM heroes to round out the dev squad (which I can source for 8 bucks, I think)

for 489 dollars. This basically rounds out my 2nd company to a full battle company, though one tac squad will be short a couple of men (ive been building it from SMH models)

For guard, I'd probably go with the following:

-2 cadian defense forces (370)

-3 chimeras (120)

again, exactly 500. Mechanized guard army, with rides for all the guard squads and two of the command squads for some special weapon toting. If we include the stuff I have, that's 3 LR's, 3 command squads, 3 commanders, 2 squads of heavy weapons, and a techpriest to ride along in one of the chimeras.

For Necrons, I'd probably do a Destroyer-focused list:

-destroyer lord upgrade pack (11.50) times 2, plus the kit needed for bodies: 73

-3 destroyers, plus 3 H-destroyer kits: 77

-7 squadrons of destroyers: 350

total of 2 lords, 3 heavy destroyers, and 22 destroyers (one left over from the lord kits)

This was a fun little thought exercise. Thanks, General!

Edited by Daimyo-Phaeron Lenoch

Poisonblade raiding force - 220

Start collecting Drukhari- 110

Wyches - 40

2x Wracks- 86

Haemonculus- 31

This gives you good representation of all 3 elements of the DE. You've got two meaty units of Kabalites and Wyches or 4 MSU of each if you prefer, as well as 2 msu for the coven, plus HQ to lead each patrol. On top of that, Kabals get a Razorwing and a Venom, Wyches get six bikes and a Venom and the coven gets a Talos.

Three Knight Preceptor Kits from Games Workshop's Webstore is 471 , so you have some money left over for paints and brushes if you dont have them. 

If you do Ebay you can squeeze out some more value ( under normal circumstances people are gouging now or stuff is just not available )  

So yea,  I  would build a knight army  500 dollars would get me going fairly comfortably if you knew you were going to be playing smaller games at first maybe grab some armigers instead of the third knight kit. 

(I live :o)

Well, since this is the Bolter and Chainsword, I think a Marines build is required.  Prices are USD from the GW website, I'm sure you could save a few bucks through a third party discount store or eBay.

Vanguard Box ($95)

ETB Aggressors ($35)

ETB Redemptor ($40)

Phobos Librarian ($35)

Know No Fear ($80)

Intercessors ($60)

Reivers ($60)

Armiger Warglaives/Helverins ($75)

Gives you a list like:

1 Gravis Captain

1 Phobos Lib

1 Phobos Lt

3 Aggressors w/Flamestorm

1 Redemptor w/H. Onslaught

10 Reivers

10 Infiltrators

15 Intercessors

3 Inceptors

3 Suppressors

5 Hellblasters

3 Eliminators

2 Armigers

20 bucks left over for some hobby supplies, or for taxes.  Not likely to take any top tables anywhere, but you've got a solid variety of models to paint, enough to fill out a Battalion (and closing in on a Brigade) + Super Heavy Auxiliary.

What is the goal of this? Most points/biggest army for your $, or what is our fantasy army if someone just gave us a $500 GW voucher?

The former is custodes or knights.

The latter I'd buy 2/3 of each Ork Buggy to make my own Bad Moon Speed Freek NASCAR/Stock Racing army. 

Edited by Xenith

AdMech Battalion, a Spearhead (converting the Knight pilot to Daedalosus or a second Enginseer), and a Super Heavy Auxiliary:

Start Collecting: Skitarii $95

Kataphron Breachers $58

Tech Priest Enginseer $30

Knight Crusader $157

Skorpius Disintegrator x2 $150

---

$490

I'd buy an army similar to one that I'm working on right now: Sisters of Battle.

$500 works out to ~£404 based on current exchange rates, so this is what I'd start with:

Codex                  - £25.00

Cannoness          - £22.50   - 3 PWR

Imagifier              - £17.50   - 2 PWR

Hospitaller           - £22.50   - 2 PWR

Dialogus              - £22.50   - 2 PWR

Battle Sister Box - £35.00   - 6 PWR

Battle Sister Box - £35.00   - 6 PWR

Retributor Box     - £32.50   - 6 PWR

Repentia Box      - £30.00   - 7 PWR

Seraphim Box     - £32.50   - 4 PWR

Seraphim Box     - £32.50   - 4 PWR

Exorcist               - £50.00   - 8 PWR

Immolator            - £45.00   - 5 PWR

TOTAL:                 £402.50   - 55 PWR

Gives a nice spread of units to build and paint, a couple of vehicles , a nice selection of single models, and a codex so you know what you're doing with them! The Sisters boxes are great for building out multiple squad types (such as Dominions or Celestians), and the Seraphim can be dual built too. I'd almost be tempted to drop a box of Seraphim for a couple of Penitent Engines, but it's a fair core for a new army in my books. 

Harlequins, with the new White Dwarf rules looking fun and forever to paint them. Can grab the whole range.

Shadow Seer £16

Solitaire £16

2 x Death Jester £32

1 x Troupe master (+5 spare clowns) £25

4 x Starweaver transports £100

4 x Troupes (24 clowns) £100

3 x Skyweavers (6 bikes) £75

1 X Voidweaver £25

= £389

I bought Adrax Agatone for my dad to put on his desk at work... now I kind of want to turn it into an army even though he doesn't play (though I suppose he'd have to give it a try if I make him an army).

2 x Primaris Lieutenant w/ Power Sword - $35 / each

1 x Primaris Librarian - $35

2 x Intercessor Squads - $60 / each

2 x Primaris Salamanders Upgrade Sprues - $25 / each

2 x Easy to Build Primaris Aggressors - $35 / each

1 x Salamanders Codex - $30

1 x Salamanders Datacards - $15

Including Adrax that is 1000 points and not including Adrax it comes out to $390.

Real talk, is that a good start for a Salamanders army if I want to lean into the Primaris side of Space Marines?

I've been debating using the new Chaos Marines kitbashed with FW bits and MK IV marines to make a Word Bearers force to go opposite my 30K Ultramarines, so something like this maybe:

3x Chaos Space Marines = £105

2x MK IV Space Marines = £60

2x Word Bearers MK IV Helmet Upgrades = £26

Deimos Predator Tactical Squadron = £160

Word Bearers Legion Contemptor Dreadnought = £38

2 x Contemptor Pattern Kheres Assault Cannon = £22

Total = £411

Slightly over the $500/£407.

Don't really know what points it is though, would just look cool!

Edited by Centurion Jay

I think the most fun to have with this is Guard, because their Army Box + Start Collecting box takes care of the battalion... and then some! And that's just $330CAD. 

I would add a valkyrie to that, just because I really want one of these- an extra $90CAD.

The left over $80 is where it gets tough to decide. 

I have weird interests and tastes, and it's probably not anyone's recommendation, but I'd go with a box of Ratlings to keep Rein and Raus company, plus a Primaris Psyker and unit of Wyrdvanes to keep Aradia company. 

Still $10CAD left over.

$250: Split 2 Shadowspear box sets off Amazon with a mate.

$125: 2 Invictor Tactical Warsuits.

$120:  3 Aggressor box sets.

Then try to trade the Suppressors for a couple box sets of Intercessors and a Lt. and Librarian for a Chaplain.

Man I wish I they'd had the Shadowspear box set when I started out.

I'd try out Necrons:

2x Battleforce- $180

2x Destroyer squads- $100

2x Lichguard- $80

1x Monolith- $66

1x Ghost Ark- $55

1x Cryptek- $18

Total- $499

Gives me an army of:

2x Lords/Overlords

1x Cryptek (or two if you convert a lord from the box with a Praetorian's staff)

2x 12-man Necron Warriors squads

2x 10-man Immortals/Deathmark squads

2x 5-man Lichguard squad

2x 3-man Destroyer squad

2x Scarab swarms

2x Annihilation Barges

1x Monolith

1x Ghost Ark

Pretty good start to a Necron army I think.

It would be the only time I’d ever be able to justify a Death Korps of Krieg army so it would go on that.

A platoon is £250

A heavy mortar battery is £110

A hades breaching drill is £35

Engineers with mole launcher is £15

Total: £410

It would need stuff adding to it later but it’d be a solid core of fluffy units :)