==][==Start Competing: Grey Knights==][==

Valerian

Not sure whether I agree with some of the author's assessment of the Grey Knights. Some of the things he said there were pretty on point, the others couldn't be further from the truth. I'm no expert, but this is what mainly stood out to me: 

For instance, under Army Weaknesses - it mentions them being fragile, on the account of them having 1W models. I mean, sure, having 1w isn't great, but we have many ways to make up for that with GoI, Sanctuary, Armored Resilience, Tide of Shadows, moving them out of LoS. In fact, we have more options to make said 1W models last longer than any other SM chapter. So by that logic, I'd disagree with them there. Plus if they are honing in on said 1W models, does that make every other SM chapter with a 1W model weak also? Seem like a bit of circular logic to me. Also, let's not forget that double-paladin bomb list - would you call that fragile? Call me biased, but I don't think we deserve a medium competitive rating, when the SW gets a competitive rating. (I've been told by other SW players the new book didn't do much for them - I'm prepared to eat my words on that statement though, pun absolutely intended). 

Other than that gripe, most of this is on point, but still a recommended read - perhaps with an update this might be more accurate. But I think I'm just nitpicking at this point.

Edited by Skywrath

I personally feel he falls into the trap of just dismissing our vehicle pool/not exploring alternative options to the usual competitiveness, for example I've found combat dreads can work, mainly in smaller games and only if you have at least a vanguards worth, tide of shadows pushes their durability up just enough to cause problems, and I've had mixed results with a land raider/redeemer, but the latter especially can be nasty with gate of infinity.

I really like most of what goonhammer posts, but they do just skip over quite a few entries, or only examine specific builds without even mentioning others even to just say they are bad/be avoided.

Space marines no longer use 1W models (for the most part), precisely because they are fragile. Chaos SM don't use 1W marines either in most cases. Eight edition's rend system has made good armor much worse than it was before, and 12 points for a 1W model is quite fragile indeed.

If a 12 point marine is fragile, a 17+ strike can't be described in any other way than very fragile. That's why grey knights in power armour are unplayable, except for strikes, and that's only because you can leave all of them in reserve and their damage output is actually quite good, so they can make up for their cost often enough.

About them being wrong about many things, that's absolutely true, and I would not recommend the guide, but you must keep in mind that guide was released just before Ritual of the damned came out, so it's mostly speculative. I don't think anyone could have imagined that a little 7 page supplement could turn the worst army in the game into a top tier army (possibly the best one).