My golden age is over

Right now I feel betrayed.

I should be used to it- I've been betrayed 8 times in 31 years.

Maybe in another 3 years they'll invent something new. But for now, lets all just get ready for three years worth of buying stuff we already have and pretending it's new.

Not sure my interest will survive a new edition.

Maybe in another 3 years they'll invent something new. But for now, lets all just get ready for three years worth of buying stuff we already have and pretending it's new.

I can understand the point of ranting, however could you please state about what exactly you are ranting? How exactly did you get betrayed? :huh:

Oh yeah i can definitely see myself having played Rogue trader solidly for 28 years, that definitely would have held my interest and kept GW afloat... 

I mean we know literally nothing about the rules so presumably you just hate the rules changing at all?

I think the complaint is that the thing he already bought has now expired from being the current version of the game?

I can understand that. I kinda feel the same way if I spend too much time thinking about it. I was following the Old Hammer group on FB for a while, I'd love to play all the editions again but the problem is getting people to not just always trade off for the new edition. The people I game with have been playing together for 5 editions, I am sure we all have the books and could throw something together. But it's weird. But I think like minded players is more the issue than a change in edition for a lot of people. 

I also think people are kinda afraid to spend the time and energy to sit down and bash together a set of rules for them selves. Either because they don't know where to start or don't want to spend a lot of time on something that may not go over very well or just doesn't work. 

(I should probably do that. I know there are people out there who do but it's such a small number of people world wide. )

There also is this habit or need, people to want only official rules Or things like the ITC does. (as if they couldn't do as good or better. )

I'm sure there's a lot more to it than that. I was really not looking forward to a new edition myself. Now I am interested to see just what GW's come up with. 

As for the bashing my own rules together it's also a product of having already played 7 of 8 editions and getting rules jumbled together some times and brain damage. 

Here's my perspective as an Age of Sigmar player - it'll be okay. Everything you have now will still work. You can get the rules free from GW online, or ebay a black book from someone who bought two starter sets. If your army gets a new codex, it'll be worth picking up. If you like your soup army, it'll still be playable, just with some more limitations on CP.

The group that's actually the most impacted? To quote Paul Murphy, "us filthy meta-chasers." And if a new release leaves one feeling betrayed, then the meta-chasing scene is not an emotionally stable place to be.

This isn't a full rules reset. It's an update to incorporate all the FAQs they've done, fix terrain rules, fix vehicle rules, and generally try and make the rules read more like they're intended.

This is like moving from 6th to 7th. Same game, just some updates.

It will be okay eventually. I will recover- I just have to twist on the knife for awhile before I feel my way through.

But here's the betrayal: look at some of the special projects that have been developed. We've got teams of people who just spent MONTHS building good Inquisition rules and Rogue Trader rules. I've spent years on the chapel of saint katherine's aegis. And now we have to do it all over again. But we won't even be able to start for two years, because these ecclectic forces need several new edition codices before we can pull it all together.

We're never getting good Kroot or Imperial Agents. It'll be three more years before they're even ready to start thinking about that stuff. And be then, everyone will be bitching and whining for 10th.

The new Crusade system? I'll probably like it because I'm a story guy, but I already had the tools anyway. I built a campaign around them.

And I have no faith that they can get two sisters dexes in a row right. I got seven anxiety free months. Now I live in fear for the next however many years it takes that they'll screw up my girls again.

Here's my perspective as an Age of Sigmar player - it'll be okay. Everything you have now will still work. You can get the rules free from GW online, or ebay a black book from someone who bought two starter sets. If your army gets a new codex, it'll be worth picking up. If you like your soup army, it'll still be playable, just with some more limitations on CP.

The group that's actually the most impacted? To quote Paul Murphy, "us filthy meta-chasers." And if a new release leaves one feeling betrayed, then the meta-chasing scene is not an emotionally stable place to be.

The people with a Loyal 32, Castellan, and 3 smash captains will be in our thoughts and prayers

It will be okay eventually. I will recover- I just have to twist on the knife for awhile before I feel my way through.

But here's the betrayal: look at some of the special projects that have been developed. We've got teams of people who just spent MONTHS building good Inquisition rules and Rogue Trader rules. I've spent years on the chapel of saint katherine's aegis. And now we have to do it all over again. But we won't even be able to start for two years, because these ecclectic forces need several new edition codices before we can pull it all together.

We're never getting good Kroot or Imperial Agents. It'll be three more years before they're even ready to start thinking about that stuff. And be then, everyone will be bitching and whining for 10th.

The new Crusade system? I'll probably like it because I'm a story guy, but I already had the tools anyway. I built a campaign around them.

And I have no faith that they can get two sisters dexes in a row right. I got seven anxiety free months. Now I live in fear for the next however many years it takes that they'll screw up my girls again.

Panic attacks should wait for the actual rules. And the armies will be updated in time. It'll be a while before things get changed so there is no reason to not keep playing those armies.

And if all the psychic awakening books were written to be forwards compatible then you might think any army books released in the same window would be as well.

They said 9th was made to be compatible with PA and existing books. So it's not like 7th to 8th where everything changed.

And if all the psychic awakening books were written to be forwards compatible then you might think any army books released in the same window would be as well.

They said 9th was made to be compatible with PA and existing books. So it's not like 7th to 8th where everything changed.

Literally what Jaxom said. It's like AoS' 2nd Edition. Just a further refinement of the rules, a consolidation of all the FAQs/Erratas in one place

The people with a Loyal 32, Castellan, and 3 smash captains will be in our thoughts and prayers

Press "F" to Pay Respects

Edited by Gederas

@Geredas it's not exactly the same. 9th being written to be compatible for PA means PA was fully done and tested and they worked to incorporate that.

PA being written to match 9th means they have a foot in both editions and it just leads to a mess.

I have played since Rogue Trader. Heck, I started playing GW in the mid 80's with Fantasy. I am still here. As someone that only ever plays monofaction lists I am hopeful 9th edition rewards mono armies and brings more balance between combat lists and shooting lists. Those are my two biggest hopes with this edition. Reward me for playing true to the fluff and lore and let me have at least a real chance of winning games with an assault army. 

I don't understand the jumping off the cliff reaction at least now. We know very little details of 9th. At least let the rules come out before we react so strongly.

I have played since Rogue Trader. Heck, I started playing GW in the mid 80's with Fantasy. I am still here. As someone that only ever plays monofaction lists I am hopeful 9th edition rewards mono armies and brings more balance between combat lists and shooting lists. Those are my two biggest hopes with this edition. Reward me for playing true to the fluff and lore and let me have at least a real chance of winning games with an assault army. 

I don't understand the jumping off the cliff reaction at least now. We know very little details of 9th. At least let the rules come out before we react so strongly.

Well we know they're giving more CP and it sounds like you pay CP for allies.

Again guys it's this:

NOTHING TRULY NEW WILL HAPPEN UNTIL EVERYTHING WE HAVE RIGHT NOW HAS BEEN REPRINTED FOR THE NEW EDITION.

I don't care that there are new rules- they might even actually turn out to be better. My sole fear/ disappointment/ rage is that the actual development of things that are actually new has been pushed back years while the update all the stuff they've just spent three years releasing.

I wanted an Emperor's Children dex within a year. I wanted Imperial Agents within a year. I wanted good, stong, varied TAU alien auxiliaries within a year.

It is not panic at all to say that the odds of any of that have been severely diminished. If we end up getting it at all, it will not be until most of the other dexes get rebooted.

You'll get the odd new unit when your rebooted codex drops, just like we got odd new units when PA drops. The new dexes will contain everything from the old dex, Vigilus and PA that is going to be kept, and because it reprints stuff in those three books, those three books will no longer be necessary.

I would rather that they announced a new campaign as a delivery mechanism for new units. Then I could buy the new book without making the three I already have irrelevant. People whined about having rules spread out in three books, but at least all 3 still had a purpose.

And for the record, I'm also thinking of all the new Eldar players who will buy that shiny new dex and still have to buy crapcast units at a new higher price to use their new dex because GW didn't even bother getting rid of finecst before hitting reset. You know how many threads I read about how the 8th ed Eldar dex was fine but nobody wanted to get into them because so much of the range was finecast?

What about the DE who have lost all but three named characters? Their updat felt like it was right around the corner. Now? Two years minimum. Sorry, gotta rerelease 9th dexes for every space marine faction first.

Maybe I can find a metal Kroot hound for Dayak Grek on ebay, cause it's at least three years before I get a plastic one now.

I'm not choked about updated rules at all. We just didn't need a new edition to do it, but since they gave us one anyway, the development cycle has been pushed back years. Glad everyone else is happy to buy all the old dexes again instead of buying a new one. I'm just not there yet.

You're all right. I am probably over reacting- they might still hit us with one actual new dex within a year... Maybe. Before this announcement though, that was LIKELY, not an act of wishful thinking.

Again guys it's this:

NOTHING TRULY NEW WILL HAPPEN UNTIL EVERYTHING WE HAVE RIGHT NOW HAS BEEN REPRINTED FOR THE NEW EDITION.

I don't care that there are new rules- they might even actually turn out to be better. My sole fear/ disappointment/ rage is that the actual development of things that are actually new has been pushed back years while the update all the stuff they've just spent three years releasing.

I wanted an Emperor's Children dex within a year. I wanted Imperial Agents within a year. I wanted good, stong, varied TAU alien auxiliaries within a year.

It is not panic at all to say that the odds of any of that have been severely diminished. If we end up getting it at all, it will not be until most of the other dexes get rebooted.

You'll get the odd new unit when your rebooted codex drops, just like we got odd new units when PA drops. The new dexes will contain everything from the old dex, Vigilus and PA that is going to be kept, and because it reprints stuff in those three books, those three books will no longer be necessary.

I would rather that they announced a new campaign as a delivery mechanism for new units. Then I could buy the new book without making the three I already have irrelevant. People whined about having rules spread out in three books, but at least all 3 still had a purpose.

And for the record, I'm also thinking of all the new Eldar players who will buy that shiny new dex and still have to buy crapcast units at a new higher price to use their new dex because GW didn't even bother getting rid of finecst before hitting reset. You know how many threads I read about how the 8th ed Eldar dex was fine but nobody wanted to get into them because so much of the range was finecast?

What about the DE who have lost all but three named characters? Their updat felt like it was right around the corner. Now? Two years minimum. Sorry, gotta rerelease 9th dexes for every space marine faction first.

Maybe I can find a metal Kroot hound for Dayak Grek on ebay, cause it's at least three years before I get a plastic one now.

I'm not choked about updated rules at all. We just didn't need a new edition to do it, but since they gave us one anyway, the development cycle has been pushed back years. Glad everyone else is happy to buy all the old dexes again instead of buying a new one. I'm just not there yet.

You're all right. I am probably over reacting- they might still hit us with one actual new dex within a year... Maybe. Before this announcement though, that was LIKELY, not an act of wishful thinking.

If it makes you feel any better one of my armies is Emperor's Children and I was told by a source I trust a year and half ago or more that Emperor's Children and World Eaters would get their own codex and model support like Death Guard and Thousand Sons so each Chaos god would be fairly represented on the table. 

Obviously that didn't happen. Or it will happen but it will be in 9th edition now. That does make me salty but 8th edition is now 3 years old. We all know that any edition life span is probably 3 years or so in today's modern times.

Sorry but the Golden Age ended with the introduction of 6th Edition. :p

A new edition is hardly a betrayal. Betrayal is dropping the Chaos Legion book and then a new edition immediately after lol.

Wait, let me see if I have this right: over 31 years, every time you’ve thought, “It’s finally time for the units I really want now that all the other stuff is out of the way,” a new edition dropped and pre-existing items were released and delayed the release of the units you thought were coming?

I am really confused by all of this. How does a new edition make it impossible for Emperor's Children, World Eaters, or any other "new" faction to enter the tabletop? I don't think 7th prevented AdMech from becoming playable, GSC from returning, or Thousand Sons from becoming independent, and 8th sure didn't stop Custodes from leaving Terra.

We don't even know when most Codices will get a 9th Edition version, some could not happen in a very long time, if at all. Let's not forgets that some armies went through entire Editions without a Codex update, this could happen again, now that their 8th Edition books are compatible and Psychic awakening brought them (mostly) up to speed). They certainly took, and are taking, their sweet time with some AoS Battletomes since its 2nd Edition, and it certainly isn't stopping them from introducing faction after faction.