An Ancient Evil Awakens

NTaW

So the local flg just posted up the preorders for October 3rd. And we are in business!

The opening releases for Necrons will be:

Silent King: 150$ usd

Doomstalker: 40$

Lokhust Heavy Destroyer: 35$

Codex is 50$ and data cards are 25$.

Theres also dice for 35$.

So it’s looking like a staggered release for the month.

The good news is the codex is coming right outta the gate so we can get some rules to dictate future purchases.

Thanks for sharing, hoping the Canadian prices are a bit kinder but based on estimates then szarekh will be c.$195CAD pre tax as expected. I need to sell some more stuff to get a monolith duo I think.

Also gives me until October 10th to get my current wave painted :)

CAD has has him at 180$. 50$ for the stalker and 40$ for the Lokhust HD.

Thank you. I thought the lokhusts would be 40 each. Szarekh is about 15 cheaper than expected. I'm assuming the monoliths will be similarly priced. May need to shift a repulsor duo...

Edit: repulsors sold :D

Edited by 01RTB01

Ya, I really hope Doomstalkers aren't as garbage as Re-animators.

I can't afford 9 heavy lockhusts for my heavy support ($315 Canadian)(630 points).

I bought my necron outriders and necron indomitus for cheaper than that ($300)(1655 points + Cyyptek guards). 

Edited by Stupidity

Ya, I really hope Doomstalkers aren't as garbage as Re-animators.

I can't afford 9 heavy lockhusts for my heavy support ($315 Canadian)(630 points).

I bought my necron outriders and necron indomitus for cheaper than that ($300)(1655 points + Cyyptek guards).

Where you getting your discount?! :O I'm looking at 40CAD (pre tax) per lokhust... Edited by 01RTB01

I was assembling a few of my three-legged destroyers last night and my torsos are fitting like crap, I must've screwed up the peg somehow and two of them want to tilt like they're doing the "I'm a Little Teacup" dance.  They're annoying to assemble, for my next ones I might cut the peg out and just fill them shut.

I'm not the biggest fan of GW monopose models. Locating complicated and intricate models on a sprue which has no discernable order for parts F22, F23 and F24 for example is frustratingly slow. The new Necrons are fiddly to put together and have lots of delicate parts easily broken (already had an incident...).

Once complete they look amazing. I hope Skorpech Destroyers get another kit so I can add 3 more to my unit that aren't identical.

Well... First world problems. Just totted up the cost of all the new releases to come (based on estimates) and I can't grab everything in one go. Has to be said, fair play to GW for releasing so much lol.

Looks like I'll have to find some more stuff to sell!

Edited by 01RTB01

Monopose no longer means easy-to-pose.  Molding the chin of a head to a bicep and snaking the clavicle through there while not shifting the arm before the glue sets is a pain the ol' arse for my  pushing-40 fingers and eyes.  

The new warriors look great, I love the gun barrel instead of the old plastic rod and I'm thinking of converting a few reapers into immortals with greenstuff waistcoat to build them up taller. The plasmamancer is cool looking and I'm doing the tripod destroyer lord next.  

Edited by Fajita Fan

I was assembling a few of my three-legged destroyers last night and my torsos are fitting like crap, I must've screwed up the peg somehow and two of them want to tilt like they're doing the "I'm a Little Teacup" dance.  They're annoying to assemble, for my next ones I might cut the peg out and just fill them shut.

I had the same problem; I think I accidentally mixed up two of the torsos. I don't know I might fix it if I ever build more, but I'm certainly going to be more careful next time. 

That was my biggest problem too DPL. I got lazy and stopped looking at parts. I was mixing and matching my last 7 or so warriors. They came out ok.

Codex is definitely buy (obviously lol). I’m debating on 1-3 heavy destroyers. The Doomstalkers are gonna be a pass this round I think.

Now, the silent king. I really want this model. But I have my doubts on if I’ll even run him. I may wait a while before I pick him up. Of course he may be a must play competitively, in which case I’ll need to pick him up sooner rather than later.

I definitely want 3 Lokhust Destroyers. They look so much like the old sketch I have to! Plus a nice anti-tank weapon.

I'm pretty much going down the root of a Destroyer theme, though I might get some armoured vehicles to make up the variance.

Here we go gents!

Rule Them All

The new codex features Dynastic Codes for six Necron empires, including the Szarekhan Dynasty for the first time, along with options to create your own.* We’ll be taking a closer look at those rules tomorrow.

Today, we’re focussing on the range of rules and army-wide abilities that benefit your force regardless of which dynasty they belong to. For example, Reanimation Protocols have always been a huge part in the way that Necron armies play and they have undergone a slight change in the new codex. Your Necrons can still come back from wounds that would take any other warrior out of action, but now you roll when models are destroyed rather than at the beginning of your turn.

WJS2ftLFpZqA0PsV.jpg

This change means that if your opponent wants to prevent you from making any Reanimation Protocols rolls, they’ll have to wipe out your unit in a single attack, which for most Necrons units is easier said than done!

Something brand-new for Necron Overlords to unleash upon the galaxy are command protocols. Before a game starts, you secretly assign one of the six protocols to each of the first five battle rounds. Then, when you reach the relevant battle round, you choose from one of the two directives associated with the protocol to be active for that round and any unit within 6 inches of a Necron Character can benefit from it.**

eBWJoAdP7cHFeiQb.jpg

For example, you could select Protocol of the Sudden Storm to be active in Battle Round 4, which you could then use to make a last-minute dash to claim an objective or perform an action AND still use your ranged weapons.

H6Sf1uG0uuZD49nP.jpg
The command protocols offer some exciting tactical options to your Necrons army, and they’re flexible enough to ensure that there will always be a directive that you can take advantage of.

Robotic Reinforcements

It’s not just been the Overlords coming up with new schemes to reclaim their rightful domain – the Crypteks have also clearly been busy, as there are tomb-loads of new units for your Necrons army.

kJSmYMYpeWBlqQNr.jpg

They say that quantity has a quality of its own and that’s especially true when you come armed with six(!) guns. Hexmark Destroyers were once Deathmarks, but now go into battle carrying multiple enmitic disintegrator pistols. 

lu92dhFonWHONAj1.jpg
As if six shots isn’t enough, they get to fire more when they take out an enemy model.

P0zxanPUhL1Iweuz.jpg
We hear that the Kelermorph has asked to postpone its planned duel with the Hexmark Destroyer…

lCxaY1E49VCBnNkq.jpg

While not technically a new unit, the Monolith is getting a new model and has had enough of an improvement that Overlords will almost see it as new. Not only does it have an additional four wounds, but its weapons have also undergone an upgrade, and there is even a new option – the death ray – which you can take in place of the gauss flux arc.

1Krr7ufv8WOWi70p.jpg

Enemy units won’t want to go anywhere near these fearsome floating pyramids.

1bpx4TPgk1jpwVuj.jpg

It’s not every day that an actual god (or at least the shard of one) takes to the battlefields of the 41st Millennium. With the addition of the C’tan Shard of the Void Dragon to Necron forces, there’s a massive shift in the galaxy’s power dynamics. As you’d expect from the fragment of a Star God, the C’tan Shard of the Void Dragon has impressive characteristics.

3CAJL8knZHO0yR8T.jpg
When you combine that profile with the power granted by the Spear of the Void Dragon, this C’tan Shard will be easily cutting its way through enemy units in the name of its Necron enslavers.

OegsoLs5KnUsWgcj.jpg

The C’tan Shard of the Void Dragon also has two abilities that make it extremely difficult to kill. Its Necrodermis lets it shrug off god-killing levels of punishment.

nvUj7kqQSlgqAI9U.jpg
Meanwhile, its Matter Absorption rule means that this fearsome entity can devour the very essence of destroyed enemy vehicles to keep itself fighting.

cqBbUw4OTzR89Z7q.jpg
With devastating attacking power and incredible defensive abilities, the C’tan Shard of the Void Dragon is a perfect fit for almost every Necron army.

Reanimation Protocols are now a heady buff to single wound horde or large squad units like warriors but they are painfully terrible for multiwound models. Unless the points cost reflect that reality, GW just put all those shinny new multiwound models they gave us onto a shelf to collect dust. There is some really good news in that article and some really disappointing stuff too. Edited by Bonzi

I'm having a harder and harder time mentally unpacking 9th edition rules. Maybe you all can help me to see if I have this straight.

Reanimation Protocols ex.1

4 of 10 Warriors are killed in an attack. After the attack I roll 4x d6 and get 2x 5+ results. 2 Warriors return and 2 are permanently removed from the game, new unit size is 8.

RP ex.2

2 of 3 Destroyers are killed in an attack. After the attack I roll 6x d6 and get 2x 5+ results. No models return, the two removed are permanently gone, and the unit size is now 1. --this is because I would need 3x 5+ results to return a single 3w Destroyer to the table--

Is this correct?

Edited by NTaW

I'm having a harder and harder time mentally unpacking 9th edition rules. Maybe you all can help me to see if I have this straight.

Reanimation Protocols ex.1

4 of 10 Warriors are killed in an attack. After the attack I roll 4x d6 and get 2x 5+ results. 2 Warriors return and 2 are permanently removed from the game, new unit size is 8.

2 of 3 Destroyers are killed in an attack. After the attack I roll 6x d6 and get 2x 5+ results. No models return, the two removed are permanently gone, and the unit size is now 1. --this is because I would need 3x 5+ results to return a single 3w Destroyer to the table--

Is this correct?

You have it correct. You get about a 10% chance to Reanimate a 3 wound model. It's worse for the 4 wound Heavy Locust.

Void Dragon looks to be a boss, even if he does end up being expensive points wise.

Having to plot out 5 turns of special rules before the game starts is definitely going to be cumbersome until you get a feel for the army.

RP becoming just a weird fnp is just weird. I do agree with the current consensus that it’s better for 1w models and worse for mutiwound models. And technically your opponent can still deny it by whipping the unit.

If the quantum shielding rule stays the same we may be looking at a nice return of the silver tide backed by an improved monolith.

Also, I hope the existing C’tans get that improved necrodermis rule.

That is... unfortunate?

I'll need a bit of a bigger picture and some playing to find out how I truly feel about it I guess.

It all depends on points values and power levels. In 8th Necrons RP was drastically over valued on all units by GW. We will have to wait and see in this edition. My hot take is that GW took a clunky rule that slowed games and was easily countered in 8th and turned it into a very clunky rule that really slows games in the 9th. I'm currently bitter. Hoping with time and reflection I can see the upsides.

Couldn't be more disappointed with the Reamination Protocols changes. Destroyers may as well not have the rule!

And only working when the unit is attacked, for models lost that attack, does NOT feel like the army is constantly regenerating.

Even if a Strategum exists that enables all destroyed models to attempt to return for its use, things like Destroyers may as well not have it because bringing 1 back requires at least 3 wounds to be successful, which out of 6 (say 2 dead out of 3) is very unlikely to yield results worthy of spending the CP in the first place.

Bad show, GW.