Making Use of New Primaris Units

jaxom

gravis with meltas, will only get fielded if the meltas have range.

I don’t mind the range on Melta, it’s the damage that is the problem. With increased damage you have long range good damage Lascannons, Melta needs more damage.

Pistols - should be d3 damage, 3 damage within half range.

Meltaguns - d6 damage, 3+d3 damage within half range.

Multi-meltas - 3+d6 damage, 6+d3 damage within half range.

At that point they’re close range, few shots, but incredible Damage.

Speculation into the Hellfuries melta weapon, it’s bigger that a meltagun, and smaller than a multi-melta. My guess it will fill the missing niche, an 18” rapid fire melta-lance.

All Gravis units need a Repulsor transport unless you're running Raven Guard.

I'm expecting these to be quite good if you're willing to invest in them.

Ravenguard, white scars, repulsor transport capacity.

I'm super excited for them. Master of ambush, infiltrators, strike from the shadows give plenty of options to get them where there need to be. And that's if its standard multimeltas, which we all know it wont be.

Aggressors have the advance and shoot without penalty rule. Wouldn't surprise if helfuries have something similar

Ravenguard, white scars, repulsor transport capacity.

I'm super excited for them. Master of ambush, infiltrators, strike from the shadows give plenty of options to get them where there need to be. And that's if its standard multimeltas, which we all know it wont be.

Aggressors have the advance and shoot without penalty rule. Wouldn't surprise if helfuries have something similar

If they're an 18" range weapon they may be assault. Run them up the board turn 1, go to Tactical Doctrine turn 2 and let loose.

Keep in mind 9e is hinted at changing model and terrain interaction. There were also hints at how units in reserve was going to work. Raven Guard might have an edge but not nearly as much in the near future. I’m very excited about how this changed game dynamics.

First thing you’ll see is castles/deathstars becoming popular for a minute (because it’s natural reaction when new elements are added to the game if your army has the option to sit back and shoot). Then the better players (not me) discover ways to make maneuver more effective because mission objectives are still going to win you more games than just killing stuff. I’m dying to get on the table and test the new units and edition out :)

Then the better players (not me) discover ways to make

Brave to admit that, I too fit that position. I just like to put everything I own on the table.

How do we make use of them? Close combat for most of them. I imagine we will soon know more about their rules but until we do, it’s hard to say where they’ll fit into our armies. Why use 4 str 4 attacks that need to get into CC when for the same price I can have 3 at range? For now we must wait.

I don’t mind the range on Melta, it’s the damage that is the problem. With increased damage you have long range good damage Lascannons, Melta needs more damage.

Pistols - should be d3 damage, 3 damage within half range.

Meltaguns - d6 damage, 3+d3 damage within half range.

Multi-meltas - 3+d6 damage, 6+d3 damage within half range.

At that point they’re close range, few shots, but incredible Damage.

Speculation into the Hellfuries melta weapon, it’s bigger that a meltagun, and smaller than a multi-melta. My guess it will fill the missing niche, an 18” rapid fire melta-lance.

Personally I think their melta will be an 18" assault weapon. Would work with the existing Gravis rules, being able to advance and fire without penalty would take care of alot of the range concerns, and if they stay still they would fire twice. 

It just occurred to me that this is actually the first Lieutenant with Storm Shield we've ever seen. Even Firstborn Lieutenants can't take them, nor Terminator armor. The only way to get an invul save on a Lieutenant is from a relic. It makes me wonder whether those actually are the 3++ storm shields we're used to.

I'm not very familiar with the heresy rules, is volkite something you need a lot of to make use of? The article seemed to hint that they were a cawl modified pattern.

Volkites are typically Str5, damage 2 weapons that may have an ap modifier depending on type, with damage that bleeds over to another model potentially.

These new ones could be better. Typically 1 isn't a big deal but a big squad each firing one could be potent.

Edited by Ishagu

I could be wrong but everything Ive read says Volkite = Energy version of the Bolter. Seems to have fairly equivalent AP and Str for everything from Bolt Pistol to the Autocannon. 

Yeah it's an energy weapon. Common during early Imperium, but very hard to maintain and produce so was dropped from service.

Wouldn't be a problem for Cawl to whip up a few thousand of them.

I think it's fairly safe to say all the shield guys will get volkite given the same style holsters. I was thinking that with axes instead of swords they would make pretty good Phalanx wardens or Huscarls.

Getting a Salamander upgrade sprue for the Thunder Hammer is pretty tempting for the melee guys!

Brave to admit that, I too fit that position. I just like to put everything I own on the table.

How do we make use of them? Close combat for most of them. I imagine we will soon know more about their rules but until we do, it’s hard to say where they’ll fit into our armies. Why use 4 str 4 attacks that need to get into CC when for the same price I can have 3 at range? For now we must wait.

They've said the astartes chainswords are a specific weapon. So on top of the +1A of a chainsword, maybe we get -1Ap or +1S

The Shield Guard have Master-Crafted Power Swords, noted in the notes at the bottom of the release, so damage two.

White Scar Super Doctrine gives you 3 damage and -4 ap from turn 3 onwards, that's really gonna sting. Especially as these guys have to have a minimum of 3 attacks a model and probably 4, with another on the first round.

So, just an idea I am toying with. Imagine a chapter master surrounded in close by 5/6 aggressors then surrounded by 5/6 of the new blade guard. Blade guard (hopefully) tank some wounds, aggressors blast away, CM providing re-rolls. All the while they are moving/advancing forward until they meet the enemy and slice/smash them. Bonus points if its WS or RG to speed em up/infiltrate them.