9th edition implications for the GK

Skywrath

I was talking about the marines significant changes. Not GKs.

To clarify, the only points changes I can see is the GMNDK points changed only on the Greathammer and the Sword, just because the item isn't listed, (in this case the incinerator) doesn't mean its free. It means someone didn't check their write up. Like I do many times on here, and therefore edit a lot.

The Greathammer went from 15pts to 10pts.

The Greatsword weant from 10pts to 5pts. The guns that are listed, the heavy psycannon and the gatling psilencer pts remain the same.

1 nemesis falchion is 2pts. the Pair is 4pts.

This is significant as this is the only melee weapon the ancients can take, bringing them to 105pts total if you purchase the 1 falchion. As they already come with a stormbolter.

Also, another significant thing I seen is for the dreadnoughts,

Lascannons are now 20pts (bringing them inline with Space Marines) (Down from 40pts)

Multi-meltas are now 5pts (bringing them inline with SM... I think?) Down from 25pts.

The heavy plasma cannon isn't listed here in the GK section of the field manual, and I can't be bothered to go hunting for it elsewhere, or...better yet its 2:30am and I can't see it.

(The plasma cannon is free on SM dreadnoughts when swapping it from the assault cannon) Its currently 20pts for us... I'm not sure if it's been brought in line.

The other note I see, and it's only coz I've been running one as of late, is the Stormhawk Interceptor, its guns got a points decrease as well, from just glancing at it. Which is nice.

In summary, we still suck massive hairy donkey phallus.

Also: Sorry Skywrath, I meant The Woodsman's write up, got confused and didn't really take note or check whose it was. But cheers, that's the batrep I was talking

about.

Edit: The heavy incinerator is actually labelled down in the NDK section, still at 20pts. (no changes? iirc)

The rhino went up 2pts, from 78pts to 80pts now. So in summary, it looks like vehicles that we share with SM factions are the only that have gotten the most changes both increase and decrease. The landraiders I cant recall or notice any decreases.

Thats some good looking up.

I think overall the total points costs for most units haven't changed eg the dreadnaught weapons reduced in cost but bas cost went up so lascannon dread is still the same total number of points. Though don't have the time to look up so thank you reskin for hunting.

To clarify, the only points changes I can see is the GMNDK points changed only on the Greathammer and the Sword, just because the item isn't listed, (in this case the incinerator) doesn't mean its free. It means someone didn't check their write up. Like I do many times on here, and therefore edit a lot.

The Greatsword weant from 10pts to 5pts. The guns that are listed, the heavy psycannon and the gatling psilencer pts remain the same.

This is significant as this is the only melee weapon the ancients can take, bringing them to 105pts total if you purchase the 1 falchion. As they already come with a stormbolter.

Lascannons are now 20pts (bringing them inline with Space Marines) (Down from 40pts)

Multi-meltas are now 5pts (bringing them inline with SM... I think?) Down from 25pts.

The heavy plasma cannon isn't listed here in the GK section of the field manual, and I can't be bothered to go hunting for it elsewhere, or...better yet its 2:30am and I can't see it.

(The plasma cannon is free on SM dreadnoughts when swapping it from the assault cannon) Its currently 20pts for us... I'm not sure if it's been brought in line.

The other note I see, and it's only coz I've been running one as of late, is the Stormhawk Interceptor, its guns got a points decrease as well, from just glancing at it. Which is nice.

Also: Sorry Skywrath, I meant The Woodsman's write up, got confused and didn't really take note or check whose it was. But cheers, that's the batrep I was talking

about.

Edit: The heavy incinerator is actually labelled down in the NDK section, still at 20pts. (no changes? iirc)

The rhino went up 2pts, from 78pts to 80pts now. So in summary, it looks like vehicles that we share with SM factions are the only that have gotten the most changes both increase and decrease. The landraiders I cant recall or notice any decreases.

Thats some good looking up.

I think overall the total points costs for most units haven't changed eg the dreadnaught weapons reduced in cost but bas cost went up so lascannon dread is still the same total number of points. Though don't have the time to look up so thank you reskin for hunting.

Not sure, I know the dreads quite well, the points haven't changed for us.

The dreadnought with an assault cannon + missile launcher before this update was 135pts, the heavy plasma which I normally use was still 20pts, so my standard loadout was still coming in at 135pts.

If I equipped a lascannon + missile launcher it was 155pts.

The above is pre-faq.

Right now, without legit changes to assault cannons and plasma cannons, equipping a lascannon in place of those two guns still will bring me to 155pts. So  Essentially, without actually printing the 2 remaining weapons, we came out even. Realistically, the chasis should of been 115pts. Instead it looks like they've factored in the assault cannon and plasma cannon options into the chasis now, and I expect we will get clarification that they are now "free" in a sense. Once battlescribe updates properly.

It's easier to understand if you load a space marine chapter and play around with the ven dread there.

But I don't recommend you look at other space marines chapters and compare via battlescribe, it will just make you want to neck yourself and your dog all at the same time. (I admit its my one weakness, wanting to compare. Its just the death of me)

A NOTE ON USING COLORS TO HIGHLIGHT STATEMENTS FOR EMPHASIS.....For example:

The other note I see, and it's only coz I've been running one as of late,  is the Stormhawk Interceptor, its guns got a points decrease as well, from just glancing at it. Which is nice.

about.

Red generally does not contrast well, especially against dark backgrounds. It's okay for one or two words, but still difficult to read. Something in the light blue or darker yellow spectrums are better here.

I'm not pointing at you specifically Reskin:no:  It was just a good example:yes:

Back to the topic:thumbsup:

Dreads did not go down in points, the changes with their main guns have balanced out even.

Not sure at 2000pts abhor the witch changed much. At this stage we're still too fragile to last 5 rounds with most armies. Meaning they will probably max out abhor earlier then then 5th round. 

3 characters and 3 units is still 15 points.

Not sure if battlescribe is wrong or you are but it looks like the MM dread went from 143 to 140. Which is pretty insignificant but something i guess. Also if youre losing more than 2 characters a game youre doing something seriously wrong imo. Not to mention with going second being buffed which is a huge problem for grey knights, we arnt as pressured to rush into things. We can now control the midboard and make plays on the last turn to swing things in our favor

Edited by Archadeus

Not sure if battlescribe is wrong or you are but it looks like the MM dread went from 143 to 140. Which is pretty insignificant but something i guess. Also if youre losing more than 2 characters a game youre doing something seriously wrong imo. Not to mention with going second being buffed which is a huge problem for grey knights, we arnt as pressured to rush into things. We can now control the midboard and make plays on the last turn to swing things in our favor

The dreadnought chassis is 135 pts, plus the multimelta 5pts, it doesnt mention the CCW+ stormbolter, which is 3 pts. Is there assumption that upgrades that aren't mentioned in the FAQ are now free or factored into the unit cost to begin with?

You must be playing only against guard to have that kind of success.

You aren't wrong, however consider this and how squishy Grey Knights are. In any of my lists, or any decent Grey Knight list you have a minimum of three characters. One of them is a Librarian, the other one a beatstick (Voldus, Kaldor, BC) and a supporting character such as a Paladin Ancient/Apothecary. 4 if otherwise. Now also consider a typical Grey Knight list - A dreadnought, Paladin Squad of 10, strike squads and maybe interceptors. Two elements in that list are 1W with no invulnerable save. Sure you could make the argument that you can hide them behind terrain and transhuman them, but a single salvo from a Redemptor Dreadnought could wipe any of them out. Then you have your characters - an apothecary would be supporting the paladins, librarian would be supporting something entrenched in your territory. Considering the above analogy of a Redemptor Dreadnought and Look out Sir being taken of the board, the opposing player would have ZERO problems wiping out a GK character. So maybe you did get lucky, but wiping our characters isn't as hard as you make it out to be and that's largely because we aren't "marines" anymore.

The dreadnought chassis is 135 pts, plus the multimelta 5pts, it doesnt mention the CCW+ stormbolter, which is 3 pts. Is there assumption that upgrades that aren't mentioned in the FAQ are now free or factored into the unit cost to begin with?

I think the later, Master Reskin. The CCW and stormbolter appears to be free, with the rest being as you said. However, what baffles me is why a heavy flamer option is 20 points in that list. There was no need to say the rest - we are all brothers here :)

Edited by Skywrath

Funny you mention that actually, i typically smash marine players and get smashed by gaurd players. T7 spam is terror without psycannons in a convergence list.

but yes im going to assume the heavy incinerator is for for GMDK until further clarification.

You aren't wrong, however consider this and how squishy Grey Knights are. In any of my lists, or any decent Grey Knight list you have a minimum of three characters. One of them is a Librarian, the other one a beatstick (Voldus, Kaldor, BC) and a supporting character such as a Paladin Ancient/Apothecary. 4 if otherwise. Now also consider a typical Grey Knight list - A dreadnought, Paladin Squad of 10, strike squads and maybe interceptors. Two elements in that list are 1W with no invulnerable save. Sure you could make the argument that you can hide them behind terrain and transhuman them, but a single salvo from a Redemptor Dreadnought could wipe any of them out. Then you have your characters - an apothecary would be supporting the paladins, librarian would be supporting something entrenched in your territory. Considering the above analogy of a Redemptor Dreadnought and Look out Sir being taken of the board, the opposing player would have ZERO problems wiping out a GK character. So maybe you did get lucky, but wiping our characters isn't as hard as you make it out to be and that's largely because we aren't "marines" anymore.

This is very true and going to be the case until our codex drop. But when it comes to close games now, we might not just bleed a free secondary. Might also validate going full term lists with big blobs. but again our characters are terminators with 5-6 wounds and decent invulns. positioned properly they shouldnt even be looked at. Like Lawrence's list for example, he lost 1 character. thats not luck its smart play.

I think the later, Master Reskin. The CCW and stormbolter appears to be free, with the rest being as you said. However, what baffles me is why a heavy flamer option is 20 points in that list. There was no need to say the rest - we are all brothers here :smile.:

Edited by Archadeus

Funny you mention that actually, i typically smash marine players and get smashed by gaurd players. T7 spam is terror without psycannons in a convergence list.

but yes im going to assume the heavy incinerator is for for GMDK until further clarification.

Ha this is exactly what I find guard with all the armour and soo much indirect fir are a hard match up. I find normally comes down to making charges to lock them in combat

To clarify, for those of you who missed it, Including myself, as I rushed to read the GK changes, 

Pg. 2 of the field manual FAQ under the title: Introduction the second paragraph clearly states that wargear not listed in the unit's entry are already costed into the unit.

Just noticed something interesting maybe an implication might not. But you can not get a chaplain in terminator armour on the GW website

I wouldn't count on it. Kaldor went missing (pun not intended) for about a few weeks then he came back. It's just GW being lazy. That being said, what would be your thoughts if our psycannons became D6 damage, while psilencers became D3 (with tide interactions ofc). 

Just noticed something interesting maybe an implication might not. But you can not get a chaplain in terminator armour on the GW website

I wouldn't count on it. Kaldor went missing (pun not intended) for about a few weeks then he came back. It's just GW being lazy. That being said, what would be your thoughts if our psycannons became D6 damage, while psilencers became D3 (with tide interactions ofc).

Sorry think I am misunderstanding the psilencer part as they are already d3. Not a fan of d6 for psycannon would be happy if they just made it flat 2 like the heavy psycannon.

Oh, I meant to say the psycannon being the d6 counterpart to the psilencer's D3. Also buffing the psycannon to flat D2 isn't enough tbh.. If it was flat 3, I'd consider that acceptable, D2 (or 3 with convergence) isn't enough to compete with regular marines and their wounds/invulns/FNP's. Realistically, D3 might be enough, but then we'd always be in convergence. 

Also, after reflection, in light of Waking Dreamer's prediction, I think S6 spears are actually possible - prime example being Custodes. Fluff wise, we are both from the emperor's geneseed so it could make sense we could have access to some blueprints of Custodes technology. Would be awesome to see some fluff which necessitates a more close working relationship with the Custodes!

Edited by Skywrath

Oh, I meant to say the psycannon being the d6 counterpart to the psilencer's D3. Also buffing the psycannon to flat D2 isn't enough tbh.. If it was flat 3, I'd consider that acceptable, D2 (or 3 with convergence) isn't enough to compete with regular marines and their wounds/invulns/FNP's. Realistically, D3 might be enough, but then we'd always be in convergence. 

Also, after reflection, in light of Waking Dreamer's prediction, I think S6 spears are actually possible - prime example being Custodes. Fluff wise, we are both from the emperor's geneseed so it could make sense we could have access to some blueprints of Custodes technology. Would be awesome to see some fluff which necessitates a more close working relationship with the Custodes!

not really, custodes are already allied with sisters of silence, who were the first "blunters" or blanks as the cannon goes. Which is to say, a psychic null zone, custodes dont trust psykers.

We wouldnt be able to function while around them constantly.

not really, custodes are already allied with sisters of silence, who were the first "blunters" or blanks as the cannon goes. Which is to say, a psychic null zone, custodes dont trust psykers.

EDIT: Just re-read the above, and think I understand what you were trying to say.

First of all, there already exists a special relationship between the Custodes/Grey Knights after the events of the 13th Black Crusade. I don't have the details, but the Grey Knights are more than just tolerated, as the Custodes realise that Grey Knights are the same side of the coin (same gene-seed), to the point where they actually actively work with them. Then there is the fact that even though the weaponry of the GK and Custodes are different, even then they have something in common - ancient Terran archeotech (either in the form of guardian spears or the nemesis blades, as an example). Then there is the fact that that weaponry is allowed to be used by the Grey Knights, which indicates a level of trust. If my perception is correct, the Custodians outrank everyone, including the Inquisition, especially for matters of military nature. Combine all of those together, and it's well within the realm of reason for Custodes to lend some of the archeotech to a faction that they trust. Not to mention they done that with Imperial Fists and the Phalanx already. If they had problem with the Grey Knights, they would have sent the Shadowkeepers to collect those relics, as they have done previously.

As for the sisters of silence - I'm not sure where you are going with this? Just as an example that they don't trust psykers? Everyone in the 40k universe distrusts them, however unlike the others, Grey Knights don't get actively censured for it - in fact I'm yet to read anything about anyone expressing their distaste to their face-plates. Oh boy, that would be interesting.

Edited by Skywrath

I think it is fair to say that grey knight maybe able to burrow however I think anything they burrow would likely be less effective that the gear they already have due to the level of psychic connection to there gear and there role in the imperium. They fight the battles that even custodes would lose.

There for anything they did burrow would be to help daemon hunting. As they only tend to fight other armies if it will prevent daemon stuff or daemon stuff is involved

Though this doesn't necessarily translate to table top.

Edited by Gnomeo

I think it is fair to say that grey knight maybe able to burrow however I think anything they burrow would likely be less effective that the gear they already have due to the level of psychic connection to there gear and there role in the imperium. They fight the battles that even custodes would lose.

There for anything they did burrow would be to help daemon hunting. As they only tend to fight other armies if it will prevent daemon stuff or daemon stuff is involved

Though this doesn't necessarily translate to table top.

You are certainly right. I was just drawing a connection that having S6 spears wouldn't be that crazy, especially if you consider how rare T5 SM units were back in 8th, compared to now. My point is, technology evolves, even in the grim darkness of the 40th millenium. 

EDIT: Just re-read the above, and think I understand what you were trying to say.

First of all, there already exists a special relationship between the Custodes/Grey Knights after the events of the 13th Black Crusade. I don't have the details, but the Grey Knights are more than just tolerated, as the Custodes realise that Grey Knights are the same side of the coin (same gene-seed), to the point where they actually actively work with them. Then there is the fact that even though the weaponry of the GK and Custodes are different, even then they have something in common - ancient Terran archeotech (either in the form of guardian spears or the nemesis blades, as an example). Then there is the fact that that weaponry is allowed to be used by the Grey Knights, which indicates a level of trust. If my perception is correct, the Custodians outrank everyone, including the Inquisition, especially for matters of military nature. Combine all of those together, and it's well within the realm of reason for Custodes to lend some of the archeotech to a faction that they trust. Not to mention they done that with Imperial Fists and the Phalanx already. If they had problem with the Grey Knights, they would have sent the Shadowkeepers to collect those relics, as they have done previously.

As for the sisters of silence - I'm not sure where you are going with this? Just as an example that they don't trust psykers? Everyone in the 40k universe distrusts them, however unlike the others, Grey Knights don't get actively censured for it - in fact I'm yet to read anything about anyone expressing their distaste to their face-plates. Oh boy, that would be interesting.

as far as cannon goes Reskin is right. what you are suggesting is fan-fiction, which is completely fine and ok, as far as it concerns how you imagine your GKs and making you more happy with the hobby. however:

- Grey knights dont borrow things from other imperium guys, being super secretive chapter, they dont go chest bumping with other factions. S6 spears are however very likely looking at GW streamlining stuff and spears being GK equivalent of power axes (last 2 editions after Initiative stat is gone)

- tech does not evolve in grim darkness of 40k*, unless some STC is being found. therefore soldiers are riding tractors recreated as tanks (lemans) and elite of Space marines wear recreated power plant protective gear (terminator armor). (*unless GW decides to make more money and come up with Cawl story hiding archeotech 10k years, so they can justify design "fancy tacticool primaris for kids" with "cool floating tanks")

- Custodes distrust psykers, because they are created/build like that. Emperor himself distrusted "comon" psykers (count Space marines and Librarium there also), trusting only handful of them (and those were no "just humans" ..Malcador for example). Emperors vision for mankind (and when he was creating custodes) and after he would finish the webway project.. psykers were to be strictly controlled until humanity matures to master psysic potential/power, or if not doable even anihilated from mankind genome in order to sever humanity's strong connection to warp, hence starwing chaos gods weak/dead.

- related to point above - Custodes are not created using a gene-seed and cultivating extra organs as space marines are. They are created via a bio-alchemy mystery process, recreating a young individual on celular level (probably using emperors gene matrix, never confirmed, but not a gene seed). So we cant say we share gene seed with custodes. But again.. fan-ficting is fine :smile.:

If you like elite armies (GKs and Custodes) fanficting them as battle bros is fine. But in 40K GKs does not get along very well with anyone. mutual respect but fear and distrust at best (those who are allowed to remember... who are not mind wiped - SMs except chaptermasters or killed as guardsmen)

*edit - so my post is not completely off topic apart the mention of S6 spears .. :smile.:: this is what I think will happen.

- Paladins - either they go to 4 wounds (the fanfiction of us and custodes being geneseed brothers starts to make sense! :smile.: ), but this would probably skyrocket their points to 60+ or such per model. So if not 4 wounds.. then WS+2 and BS2+, along with some fine and usefull rule like Bodyguard or built  in transhuman resiliency would be justifiable.

- all other stuff - along with gaining 1 wound I think we will see also gain +1 attack, so they are in line with Primaris marines, without need of Primaris. The change of Adeptus Astartes to Sanctic Astartes... I see an intention here :smile.:

- Chaplain and Apothecary - being able to upgrade them to "Masters". This would bring ton of reliability (chaplain .. not having to squeeze buttocks each time and pray for 3+ litany) and utility - apothecary tricks and keeping those Pallies, Termies and chars alive.

Edited by Ticaliation